“Legendary” 5 of 5 bubbles

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Legendary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

This has been one of my favorite places in Buffalo since I was in High School back in the late 90s. Live performances (mostly music but not always) every night, and a vibe that is unparalleled. I am an atmosphere junkie. If I am gonna pay 2x as much for a beer than I would in the store then I don't need clean bathrooms, drop ceilings, white lights and 5 giant televisions. I also don't need cement heads chugging Bud Light who yell at their girlfriends and want to fight all the time. This place has none of that. Many people describe it as hipster-ish (that's a better description for the place across the street) or Bohemian (maybe a bit more accurate), but the fact is that is defies labeling. It's just freaking "cool" and that is it.

It was an old vaudeville theater that dates back to the 1920s. Small stage up front for more intimate performances and a large one in the back for the bigger acts, either local, regional or national. Expect to pay a cover most nights, which can be annoying if all you want to do is have a beer, but it is usually not exorbitant, and they tend to get smaller as the night wears on. The only other knock is that the headlining bands tend to start quite late, as much as an hour or more past the scheduled time. I was tempted to knock it down to 4 stars on account of this but it seems like they have tried to remedy that after being publicly called out by a local music critic. Beer selection is pretty good, by current standards, about 10 taps or so, with a good variety of imports, domestics, and interesting regional crafts. I've heard people complain about the bartenders not being overly nice, but I have been around these people for years and they are fine, it is part of their charm. One dude ket the place open one night after everyone else was gone and helped us finish one of the bottles of whiskey. The neighborhood is fascinating and unique, historic Allentown, kind of like Buffalo's answer to Greenwich Village, obviously on a much smaller scale. Check it out and see if it's for you.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank GoSabres2011

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fun Quirky Pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We had a great time on a Saturday night. This night included a Celtic group that brought back memories of being in Dublin. The pub has a variety of music each evening. The bartenders are great. They are willing to talk about the pub and other locations in the area. Plus, they are more than willing to share a shot with the patrons.

Definitely should be a stop if you on in the Allentown area.

New York City, New York
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Excellent night in Allen Street”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Good selection of beers, good prices and excellent live music. We went on a Sunday and enjoyed Dr.Jazz and the Jazz Bugs and the surprise performance of Megan, the bartender. A gem. Ecclectic atmosphere, you feel welcome.
We recommended to everybody in Buffalo!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank TheTrintrins
Clearwater, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Fantastic Allen Street Bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

Live Music Every night, not always great live music, but live music none the less. This is a great bar, with an across the board crowd. I was in town for Wines in the Wild at the Zoo and we had an afterparty at Nietzsche's, it was fantastic.

Friendly staff, friendly crowd and cheap drinks. What more could you want.

Cash only though, there is an ATM at the stop-and-rob across the street.

There was a cover charge, two bucks I think. I don't know if that is always the case. No fights, no drunks, no idiots in a fairly safe neighborhood.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank mdoneil
Boston, Massachusetts
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Fun, eclectic scene”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

We had a great night out at Nietzsche's-- there was some kind of music festival going on, and the bands were nonstop all night. I particularly loved a bluesy duo that played right in the bar. Very friendly and a great place to hang out. I wish we'd stayed longer!

Visited January 2013