“Dancers Find Warm & Cozy Inn”
Review of Richmond Place Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buffalo
Richmond Place Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Buffalo B&B and Inns
Washington, Pennsylvania
“Dancers Find Warm & Cozy Inn”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

January 2014, We were looking for a B & B near the Burns Night Supper & Scottish Country Dance Ball that we were attending. We needed a place to stay that had a strict “No Pets” policy as I am severely allergic to dogs. Found Richmond Place on a 411 Info search and called the Inn to inquire about the pets policy and to see about availability. The innkeeper, Glen, gave me the information I needed and I booked for one night. Glen was friendly and agreeable to our desire to arrive early afternoon. We arrived and Glen was there to meet us and help with our bags, check us in and ask us about our breakfast preferences. Our room with private bath was very clean and color coordinated. There were plenty of towels and pillows and it is nice to have a mini fridge in the room. The downstairs breakfast area was small, but nice. The breakfast was very well prepared and the servings were generous - Glen is a good coo!. The coffee & tea pots were refilled promptly. We left breakfast delightfully stuffed with good food. When we spoke to Glen about the architecture of the building he confirmed our idea that it was from the mid 1800’s. He said that he has started the process of restoring the inn, room by room, to it’s original stature. We will be watching his restoration process over the years to come as we are planning to stay at the Richmond Place Inn every time we are in Buffalo.

Room Tip: Clean & comfortable, refrigerator in room and excellent breakfast.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New England
Reviewed 4 January 2014

As we pulled in behind he house we could see how poorly kept and disheveled the garage was and around the house. There was a rusted chain link fence right along one side of the house with mangled barbed wire along the top, separating this house from the run down eyesore of a house a few feet away. After coming in the ugly side door it banged closed loudly behind us as we entered the decrepit hallway with bare overhead light fixture and old nail laden boards piled along the side. The carpet throughout was terrible. It was ragged and incomplete in areas, and very dated. Going back out to get the rest of our things we forgot about the door. It banged loudly again and a tenant came out and yelled at us, telling us to stop banging the door shut.

The room looked like it was painted 10 times over by a 5 year old. The mirror was badly cracked and covered with something dark that had dripped down it and dried. I’ve included photos of much of this, including how the toilet is set up on a tall platform and hanging off the edge. Even a tall person cannot place more than their toes on the floor if sitting on it. You WILL stub your toe into the corner of that platform and may get lucky not to rip your foot open on the sharp metal ends of the cut stairway edging they’ve installed there. The bathtub drain handle was broken off but no matter as the drain was clogged and it fills quickly while showering. The toilet was also clogged. There was black mold filling most of the cracks and corners throughout the tub area. You shower in an old tub with a metal hoop above where the shower curtain hangs and it hugs up against you on both sides as you shower. The rusted steel hangers of the hoop prevent you from sliding the curtain open more than about 18” to get in or out. Space is tight without anywhere to place your things, and my towel kept falling off the towel bar into the trash can right beneath it. There was lots of dirt, particularly in the floor corners. There’s another bare light fixture to light all this up for you. The bed was comfortable enough but it sat on the floor and the blankets were gaudy. I’ve photographed the view of the fence and ugly house out the room window. There was no bathroom window.

They advertised free wifi, which I needed, but it only worked for the first hour of the first night of our stay. It never returned and I had to go to a coffee shop. That was welcome though because of the poor breakfast at the inn.

They have a nice website including photos of some enticing breakfast dishes with beautifully pan fried home grated potatoes but that’s not what you get. The breakfast was very basic served from a small “help yourself” table. The homefries we had were the frozen oval patties like what you get from McDonalds and quite grease laden. The scrambled eggs were firm crumbles. The plates themselves were thrift store quality. Breakfast is eaten down in the basement with little outdoor lighting coming through the small ceiling height windows along the driveway. The décor is sparse. We stayed two days but went out for breakfast the second morning.

The only reason to stay here is if you can’t afford any more than the $79 rate. They say you get what you pay for, but even less so here. This is not at all any type of lodging you’d want if you were on a pleasure trip, or really any other time unless you’re desperate.

Room Tip: We stayed in back room which was quiet but disgusting.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Desidario
Bowmanville, Ontario
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

First and foremost, Glen is a super guy, who can cook a mean breakfast! I'm talking an unlimited amount of eggs, bacon, hash browns, coffee, crescents and orange juice, or whatever your diet dictates (Glen will accommodate) I'm a beer fanatic and thought this place was awesome because it was walking distance to the Blue Monk, Coles, The village beer merchant, anchor bar and Gabriel's. Its also right off the subway line, so you can go watch an NHL game if you wish. The bed was very comfortable, big screen tv, microwave and mini fridge came in handy. Free and secure parking was also a huge plus!! And the bnb is located in a pretty darn safe neighborhood. For 80 bucks a night taxes in, with free parking and a delicious breakfast, you'd be crazy not to stay here. One thing is for sure though, I'm definitely staying here again the next time I come back to Buffalo.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Cumberland, Rhode Island
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed here on my first night of a 51 day road trip to Alaska and back. It's wonderfully located near many restaurants and attractions. The place is more of a small hotel than a house, but Glen makes you feel right at home. The room I had was comfortable and had it's own air conditioner. The adjoining bathroom was clean and functional, but it needed a bit of work to bring it back to its 19th century black and white subway tile glory. I was leaving early the next morning and was going to miss breakfast, but Glen put out a nice pot of tea and pastries for me. The price is a bargain. If I'm traveling through Buffalo again, I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Stoney Creek
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I love staying here...it's now the only place I choose to stay in Buffalo. The rooms are clean and the suite is a great value. The best part is the delicious breakfast included in the price. It's located in a beautiful section of downtown Buffalo.

• Stayed September 2013
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The Richmond Place Inn can be a lil deceiving from the outside. Looks like an old mansion as my girlfriend said. But inside its very welcoming. We got an adjoining room and it was great to have the home like feel but also have privacy. The breakfast in the morning was fresh and delicious. The location is very close to everything and easy to tour around Buffalo. We are from Canada and love this place! every time we got to Buffalo we will stay here!! You should too:)):

Room Tip: Adjoining rooms
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Arrived at the Richmond late one Sunday evening and Glen was waiting on the porch to help me with my bag which I thought was really nice. In the morning discovered my shower was not quite working but on having a word with Glen he moved me immediately to a very nice room with king size bed. The Richmond is a great place to stay as it is in the heart of the residential district within walking distance to Allentown, Elmwood the Music Hall. It is easy to take the Metro down into town. Glen was a great host and always very chatty and full of helpful information. Breakfasts were good, the Pancakes were sumptuous and the French toast too! Glen is doing lots of work to bring this very large house to up scratch so it is work in progress. My room was clean and comfortable - just right at the end of a busy day exploring.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms if possible.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo