“Tasteful, But Casual”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Interior of historic, small building is decorated in a tasteful, understated way. Had a good steak, and good wedge salad. Wine list is solid, and not pricey. Bar area looks like a cool place to hang out.

1  Thank MattB

Reviewed 3 February 2014

This restaurant was recommended by our hotel, and we loved it. It was busy, but not overcrowded for a weeknight. Beautiful stone walls, warm decor. Service was fantastic and attentive, and the food was great. I would definitely go here again when we are in Buffalo.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Our group of six went to Mother's for a pre-Sabres game meal. When we told our server of our time constraints, he made sure we were served in a comfortable time frame but quickly enough to get to the stadium before puck-drop. The best meals were the meatloaf (believe the hype), the stuffed chicken and the tuna. My scallops with black fettuccine were fine but nothing special. The standout appetizer was the white bean hummus - absolutely delicious. They have a wonderful wine menu, but being short on time we ordered the "daily steal," which for $35 was a great bottle. Oh - and our pre-dinner drinks were mixed expertly by the bartender, especially in light of my friends picky martini palate. The price wasn't bad for a good meal for six and the space was cozy and nice. One of our party thought it was too loud, but I think he just didn't care for the blues/jazz selections. He was outvoted by the other five of us. Next time we'll try it when we have more time to relax.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Manager was rude from beginning to end. Food was enjoyable but the experience totally ruined by a manager who refused to fully value a "charitable" donation he gave to a local charity for auction. When we explained that he was taking almost $50 off of the gift card value he told us (word for word) that he "couldn't do anything for us and if we didn't like it we could take it out on the servers and not tip them". He also said that he would never be giving to the mercy flight charity again that we supported by buying his gift certificate (which again, he refused to fully honor). This was all after he initially sent the server to us to explain that there "was no manager in the restaurant", which was a blatant lie. He was at the bar the entire time and only came over to us when we asked the server to get him on the phone. This guy "gives to charity" as a tax write-off, then tells the people who bought the gift card that they shouldn't expect it to be fully honored? I will never give him my business again. Mostly, I felt bad for his staff, as they spent about 15-20 minutes (between several of them) telling us that this is the way he is and that many complaints have come in about him before. I wish I would have known that before giving him my business! It will never happen again...dsssssssssssssssss

4  Thank KRugg
Reviewed 7 December 2013

If serving good food until midnight is not enough, you can have a fine dining experience in the restaurant or eat at the bar. Easy going place, tough to find a menu online. Was there on Monday December 2. Entrees included duck, pork, steak, Atlantic Salmon and bay scallops, and black fettuccine and sea scallops with spinach in a cream sauce, among others. I had the fettuccine, she had the salmon. Sea Scallops were done nicely, not overdone, could have had a better sear on the outside for a crispy/caramelized touch, but they were still good. We both finished everything. Portion size was 'American', but not a full two servings, somewhere in between. Two glasses of wine and two entrees came to $62 before tip. Other top restaurants include Tempo, Bacchus, and Amy's Place (causal, great prices, good food, lots of options, quick service).

2  Thank Matt S