“Low-Key Late-Night Dining”

Ranked #22 of 1,028 Restaurants in Buffalo
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Depew, New York
“Low-Key Late-Night Dining”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I went to Gabriel's Gate the night of the Taste of Country to avoid the traffic and busy atmosphere of other downtown bars, and I'm glad the adventure brought me here. Our group of 8 stopped in for a later dinner and were seated right away. The atmosphere outside was bustling: the Allentown Art Festival was gearing up for the weekend festivities, so there were vendors setting up tents on both sides of the street. Gabriel's Gate was nicely tucked away from the noise. The decor was unique and interesting around every corner. There was something for everyone to look at with a nice mix of eclectic, old, retro, and new. The menu wasn't overwhelmingly large, but there really was something for everyone in our party. I had the BBQ chicken fingers (which I thought would be a smaller appetizer, but they were served with fries and there was more than enough to share); they were delicious. Between us at the table, we had a sandwich, salad, soup, chili, and wings and everyone seemed to be satisfied with the quality of food and the portion size. Even when we left around 930pm, it wasn't terribly busy for a Friday night. Low-key and relaxing: the perfect way to spend a Friday evening in late spring.

• Visited June 2014

Buffalo
“Poor Customer Service, Deceiving Menu”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

So I just returned to my office after lunch at Gabriel’s Gate. I was there about 1pm. I had read so many great reviews about the chicken wings there that I have been trying for months to find time to go and try them myself. Articles such as this: http://www.buffalochow.com/2010/01/top_100_buffalowny_foods_resta_1.html, or this: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/42/460758/restaurant/Central/Gabriels-Gate-Buffalo, made me very eager to try them. Well I have to say that the experience was a huge disappointment. After being seated by the greeter/waiter and ordering a drink I asked about the wings. The menu mentioned Cajun style, Buffalo style, and something else I can’t recall right now (Italian, maybe?). I asked if the wings come in varying degrees of heat, he acknowledged they do, so I ordered hot, extra saucy. There is nothing on the menu stating which wings have been so well reviewed, or which have won local wing contests. I figured I was getting the much talked-about wings. When they came to the table the first thing I noticed was they looked like basic fried chicken wings with Franks brand hot sauce. I also pointed out to the woman who delivered them from the kitchen that I asked for extra saucy and could I have some more sauce. She brought it a minute later and I commented that the sauce she brought also looked like Franks hot sauce and nothing more. She confirmed this. I told her the sauce does not look anything like the sauce I have seen in pictures of the wings that get such great reviews, and asked if they have changed the recipe recently to which she replied they have been making them this way for years and “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, right?”. Sure, I said. She walked away. Still they did not look right to me. One taste confirmed these were basically fried chicken wings with Franks hot sauce dumped on them. Edible but not great, certainly not what I thought I was ordering. Where was the tangy red sauce? Where was the black pepper I had read about? When the waiter returned (a thin gentleman with round glasses), I repeated all of this to him. He said I was probably thinking of the wings that have won them awards in local wing competitions. I said yes, that was exactly what I was thinking of. I asked why the menu did not specify which wings I had to order in order to get those wings. He said nothing other than to mutter he did not know. Later, after eating just 5 of the 10 wing order, he returned asking if there was anything else I needed. I simply asked for the check, mentioning to him that neither he nor the woman who had brought me the wings offered to make my order right after I voiced my dissatisfaction. His response was that he had asked me if “there was anything else he could do for me”. I advised this is not the same thing as his offering to make my order right by bringing me a replacement order with the wings I was expecting. Apparently Gabriel’s Gate puts the onus of customer satisfaction upon the customer. There was no attempt by the staff to make it right. I asked if I could discuss the matter with the Manager on Duty. He replied the best he could offer was to bring out the Cook. I told him I didn’t see any point to that and asked simply to bring the check and charge me for the wings if that’s what they wanted to do. He did. I paid the bill and left. I will never return to Gabriel’s Gate after this experience, and I have to say I would not recommend the restaurant to any of my clientele either. This is very short-sighted customer service on the part of Gabriel’s Gate. They made their $17 on me today, but they will never see another dime of my money. Congratulations on converting a first time opportunity into a one-time customer.

• Visited June 2014
Minnesota
“casual local spot”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Historic building with many locals present. Good choices, good prices on menu. It was easy walk from my Holiday Inn on Delaware. Nice historic neighborhood to walk in. So nice not to be a chain restaurant.

Visited March 2014
Hamburg, New York
“Always Great”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

A must stop when in Buffalo. Always great food, service and atmosphere. Buffalo is known for great chicken wings and this Gabriel's Gate; in my opinion is in the top ten!

• Visited April 2014
Naples, Florida
“Terrible Service, Food Halfway Decent”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The four of us arrived at this place for a much deserved Saturday morning lunch. The food was decent but the service was awful. It took nearly a half an hour to get drinks, our waitress took our orders twice and just didn't seem to care one bit. Now, I'm constantly on the road here in the lower 48, eating out several times a day and I have never seen a waitress knock over a mixed drink (in my case a rum and coke) and then charge the patron for it. I don't know if our waitress was stoned or not but it certainly seemed like it. Won't be headed back the next time on Allen Street.

• Visited March 2014