“This is the loveliest B&B I've ever seen!”

Elmwood Village Inn: Honu House
Ranked #3 of 5 Buffalo B&B and Inns
Syracuse, New York
“This is the loveliest B&B I've ever seen!”
Reviewed 27 September 2011

This is a beautifully furnished and run Inn right in the middle of the lovely Elmwood Village neighborhood, within walking distance of excellent restaurants, art, coffee, shops and street life.
Karen, the owner, is very helpful, gives great recommendations and bakes delicious muffins, too! Our room was lovely and the bathroom was luxurious.....

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gaylegt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 1 September 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed together here for an extended stay, we stayed one week in the "Middle Room" and one week in the "Middle Eastern Room." I can't say enough about how nice Karen was, we are new to town and she gave us so many tips on where to go (and where to avoid)! She was around in the mornings and provided OJ, coffee, fresh fruit and delicious home baked pastries, I had to get the recipe to her vegan gingerbread, soooo good! She pays attention to little details, like putting candles in the bathroom so we can take a candle lit bath, also very cute decor from all over the word! We felt very comfortable in the privacy of our room and even though its on a busy street (elmwood), we had a white noise machine in our room that helped us sleep. Its really a nice part of town so its worth it to be in the action: walking distance to a farmers market, grocery stores, restaurants, bars and right across the street from a yoga studio. This B&B has all you would expect and more, I'd highly recommend a stay here!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Leslie S
San Francisco
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Finding this near-perfect gem is one of the reasons I love TripAdvisor. Seeing Hanu House as the clear top-rated Buffalo B&B gave me hope that I might avoid a chain or a boutique "wanna be" while overnighting in Buffalo. Wow - what a payoff.

What you need to know is that for any seasoned traveler this is a 5-star experience. As described elsewhere, the decor is eclectic - and to me that can sometimes be less than ideal. Here it works masterfully.

The house flows well and the common areas are amazing. The interplay of rugs, original art, tasteful/functional furniture and the "great bones" of this house work on every level. The placement of mirrors, the massive original doors and trim, the outstanding paint colors, the beds and bedding - all are extraordinary. There have been few times in my (far too) frequent travels that I've wanted to extend my stay just to spend more time in the accommodations - this is among those rare places.

Other pluses include being fairly close to the airport and this must be one of the most interesting and fun parts of Buffalo. One night in the Honu House will change the way you think of Buffalo and of B&Bs - it did for me anyway. I wish I needed to travel more often to Buffalo. Better yet, I wish she would open a chain of Honu Houses in other cities!

Some assorted comments -

The nearby food co-op was a recommendation from the hostess, Karen. We're not ones for overly "crunchy" eating options We skeptically went since it was very close - the food bar in this place is amazing and is not to be missed.

Get her to show you the swivel bookcase on the first floor.

Could there be any bathrooms in ANY B&B or hotel that are as well thought out and artfully decorated? Mixing stained glass windows with clear glass showers and bath tub set in modern concrete on a historic tile floor covered by a killer Persian rug? It sounds heinous but she has made it work in a clean, uncluttered way that makes you marvel.

This is a hostess who must rack her brain sweating every detail for her guests - not in a way that comes off as sterile or staged but instead brings travelers great comfort. Why can't every hotel and B&B be as attentive to details as Karen has been? This experience redefines my expectations for future travel.

If you value sedate locations where there is nothing edgy going on nearby this might be a harder sell for you. I was there with my 5-year old daughter and felt quite safe but my 75-year old mother might be freaked out that passers by have more tattoos and piercings than the norm. The street has terrific coffee shops and eateries and it's a vibe I love. Your mileage may vary.

Speaking of kids, Karen has lots of great children's books (and great books of all sorts) downstairs. And there is a playground across the street. B&Bs are not often very accommodating to kids. I'd say that this one has some pluses in this regard.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank davlon
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 27 July 2011

A friend searched the web to find this B&B and what a delight it was to stay here!

First of all it does not have a sign, just a house number that is very LARGE, so be sure you have the address when you go. And it is no longer Grey & White, I believe it is an orangy color now. Keep your eyes open. ;0)

The decor in the house is warm and inviting with deep rich colors. Karen is a wonderful hostess... making you feel at home and comfortable right from the first time you meet.

The rooms are large and comfortable. Mine had a separate bath that was wonderful. It has a deep soaking tub which I filled and relaxed in after a day of driving. Although separate it was private just for my room and quick step across the hall.

There is a small wet bar nook upstairs for guests to make tea, store wine or snacks in the fridge that is stocked with lots of cups, glasses, and kitcken tools along with a microwave.

The area is delightful. Lots of restaurants of all different cuisines. A college area with museums near by all within walking distance. Prices are normal reasonable residential area standards, not touristy and high priced.

Hot coffee and warm muffins with fresh fruit are ready as you wake in the morning.

This is a an area of Buffalo I had not seen before that I would highly recommend for a stay.

Room Tip: Be sure to say if you require an ensuite!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank cruisinlivin
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 14 July 2011

What a wonderful place to stay in Buffalo. The Honu House is exactly what I look for in a B&B. It was comfortable, clean and in a perfect location. Karen, the owner, quickly learned of our enthusiasm for the city of Buffalo and offered many good ideas about things we might enjoy. We could walk to many of them because we were in the center of Elmwood Village. One evening we walked to the symphony performing outdoors on Bidwell Parkway, and it was a short ride to Shakespeare in the Park. We looked forward to our morning walks in the beautiful neighborhood. Our room at the Honu House was actually a small attic apartment, complete with kitchen. We chose to make our own breakfast in the morning, an alternative we were glad to have. Our suite was comfortable and very up to date. We hope the Honu House and our special room will be available every time we visit Buffalo.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arlingtontravel
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 April 2011

- Nice and big rooms/suites. Very nice furnishing.
- Friendly and helpful atmosphere.
- Elmwood Village is the nicest neighborhood in Buffalo.
- Fresh pastry for breakfast.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 11 January 2011

Travelling with 12 year old son to take in Sabres game and Bills on Sunday. Much less expensive than a hotel with teh freedom to have your own kitchen, living room and separate bedroom. Elmwood village is a little oasis in a big city.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family