“Updated Business Trip Living”

Elmwood Village Inn: Honu House
Ranked #3 of 4 Buffalo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Spent two nights at the Inn last week while in Buffalo on business. Chose it for the lower rate from the downtown hotel. Was so delighted with the beautiful, comfortable room. The bathroom was surprisingly stylish and unique. Delicious coffee and muffins each morning. The drive to my downtown meeting was easy and only 15 minutes. Karen is a joy to talk with and made me feel right at home. My only caution is that you will need to carry your luggage up a flight of stairs. If you can't tend to this detail due to back or health issues, then this Inn might not be for you. I travel alone and always pack in a way where I don't need help...so I look forward to making Elmwood Village my home when work brings me to Buffalo. Thank you Karen! Hoping for sunny skies when I return so I can better enjoy the shops around the Inn.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Middle Western Room. Very comfy bed. Not bothered by street noise. Karen has a whi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Beth V

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

This is a very warm and welcoming B&B. Karen is a friendly and gracious owner. We were comfortable and thoroughly enjoyed our weekend, our room, and light breakfast. It's within walking distance to many stores. We hope to stay again very soon

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I recently stayed at the Elmwood Village Inn and couldn't have been happier with my stay. The rates are very reasonable given the fact that you are in the middle of the best area of the city and the rooms are so unique. The home was stunning and there are so many little touches that did not go unnoticed. A fully stocked toiletry cabinet?! An assortment of chocolates by the door? I haven't even mentioned the excellent breakfast that Karen provided the next day. You feel right at home when you stay here. Do not miss the chance to enjoy Elmwood Village by staying here!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 716mdr
Reviewed 2 April 2014

What a rare find! We will be staying at this first class inn whenever we are in Buffalo. The House is so conveniently located, just steps to the heart of Elmwood village shoppes and restaurants. Inside the inn you will find a "sanctuary in the city". A comfy, casual atmosphere dotted thoughtfully with art from local artist as well as around the world.
Our room, a two room suite on the second floor was clean warm and very comfortable. The bed and linens were of high quality and we slept soundly. The Bathroom was unique experience in itself with its European "wet room" design style. Ample luxury towels and amenities. There is also a closet full of supplies if you forgot something from home. The kitchenette across the hall from our room was also an added bonus. There we found a microwave, fridge, sink, wineglasses etc. Karen the owner/host is the jewel in this wonderfully cozy inn. She will cheerfully go the extra mile to ensure her guests best experiences. From the yummy home baked muffins to her searching and calling in our last minute reservations she goes the extra mile.
I only wish there was an Elmwood Village inn where ever we traveled. All previous glowing reviews of this gem of a stay are true. If you are looking for Comfort, luxury, ambiance, value and a terrific host. You have found it with The Elmwood Inn Honu House. <3

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Inn on Sunday February 16th for one night as we were in Buffalo to enjoy one of its music venues. We were very impressed with the cleanliness of the house and how well it was decorated. All was perfect. The Inn has a warm and comfortable feel to it from the moment you see it from the curb and grows as you enter each room inside. We could not have felt more comfortable. Before heading out for the evening we decided to call a cab rather than drive to the show as we wanted to enjoy a few cocktails before and after. The fine proprietor Karen called for a cab as she had all of the cab company phone numbers at her desk. When the first company said it would be about a half hour, she tried another. When they too said the same, she tried a another. The third cab call was the one she secured as the wait was 15 minutes. She waited with us, conversing in the lobby until the cab arrived. Her focus was to make sure we were on our way in the cab in a timely manner. What customer service! The location is excellent and in an artsy area with nice shops and eateries. We plan to stay at the Inn for any activity that we attend in Buffalo. Thank you Karen for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My brother and I have stayed here twice, both times with the craft beer scene in mind. It's within walking distance of the Village Beer Merchant, Cole's and The Blue Monk, as well as many other restaurants.

Both the Middle Eastern Room and the Honu House are very well arranged, decorative and practical. The Honu House room has one of the most comfortable beds that I've ever slept in, and has a separate room with a tv, chairs, spa bath and a desk.

Karen is very friendly and most accommodating, clearly out to ensure that your stay is exactly what you want. She offers tips on places to go, times to go, and other pieces of information about the area.

The Inn is quiet and provides a warm feel while also offering the convenience of a hotel with toiletries, a small kitchen that includes teas and other items that you would find in your own home (and a fridge to keep your craft beer cold).

We'll be staying here for a third time at some point this year.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank James P
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at this B&B for a business trip and found the place lovely. Obviously if you use services like gym facility and concierge you should stay in a hotel, but I think this bed and breakfast has the added value of providing more "personal service". The host was present in the morning for breakfast and would chat with us. She replied to all of our questions and was excellent in understanding when we were in hurry or when we had time to relax and talk. She also provided bottle water, which is usually not included in a hotel booking.

The room was very nice, very large bed and a Jacuzzi in front of the TV with candles (this was the master suite). It was clean (and very warm! -which is nice since it's late November) and every day there would be some touch up that made our return to the room comfortable. Obviously, being an old house, and with a lot of wood, there are some noises, both from other guests, and the walking around in your room, but we had no problem with it. Nothing major. However if you expect to sleep until 10 am that may be a problem as you may hear the ppl having breakfast and chatting downstairs. It depends on who are the other guests at the moment.

The location was also excellent, right in the center of the city.

I read some comments here on Tripadvisor about the breakfast from previous guests. Although it is true that there were no eggs, freshly baked cakes were provided every day, together with juice, coffee, and fruit. I personally loved it, but I don't particularly fancy eggs. The amount of food was more than I could eat, so you won't be hungry for sure.

What makes the whole experience nice is the family atmosphere you can experience, as if you would be guested by a friend or relative. I find this applies particularly to B&B and not hotels, so I would certainly book here.

One note for internationals: if you plan to use skype the wireless connection in the room is too slow for skype-to-skype voice calling.

Room Tip: the master suite is gorgeous, but you can hear the other guests having breakfast, so chose another r...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business