“THE WORSE HOTEL EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Adam's Mark Buffalo
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Buffalo
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“THE WORSE HOTEL EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I was here during the time of Oct. 9th to Oct. 13th for my sorority's conference. This hotel is indeed the worse I have ever stayed in. Our meeting rooms were like ice lockers in a resturant. Their "buffet" was over price with very little food. And the food that was on there was left over for our dinners and lunch. Have you ever heard of waiting 25 minutes for someone to take your order then an ADDITIONAL 45 minutes to get your food??? Not for something as simple as a small pepperoni pizza??? At our banquet the waiter forgot about us. We had to beg for someone to serve us and after we got the food it was cold and nasty. I got sick afterwards. This hotel was not worth the money! Some of my sorority sisters found mouse traps! Others on the sixth floor had to have their rooms switched because they were getting bitten by insects -- maybe bedbugs... maybe the huge spiders that were found everywhere. There was never enough staff to handle our group of over 600 people. And they never brought in more people to handle our crowd! There was three poeple in my room and we had to beg for fresh towels and washcloths! They never supplied us with fresh towels. But they made sure we had enough shampoo and conditioner. (How are we suppose to use it without TOWELS???)

For the record, I don't blame the rank and file staff -- they did the best they could. The management didn't prepare the staff enough.

It has a pretty fountain but that is it. Its in the middle of nowhere in downtown buffalo. I know oxymoron-type statement but it is true

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kaisha H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

The saying if you have nothing good to say, don't saying anything at all. Well I'm not saying anything! That sums up my visit to this hotel. My review has to be 200 words, so I am just filling up space at this point. Once again don't stay here! Oh the fountain outside is nice..lol

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank tricia95
Mark-B B, General Manager at Adam's Mark Buffalo, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to start by saying we are truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. Our team of managers work hard every day to make sure that our guests needs are taken care of and that our team continues to improve for future guests. We are very glad to hear that you liked our outdoor fountain. The fountain is very well known in our city and is on many post cards as its the largest at any hotel in Buffalo and Niagara Falls USA. In side the hotel our facility has recently been renovated with all guestrooms getting new carpet, wall covering, and furniture. Please feel assured your next stay with us will be better.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I was just at this hotel Oct. 10-13 for a sorority conference. For starters the location of the hotel is great only if u plan to just stay in the hotel! And if you walk out of the front you have a lovely view of the jail across the street.
This hotel clearly was not ready for the amount of people that were here for the conference. The hotel restaurant service was very slow and they never adjusted to try to get more help. It took all day for rooms to get cleaned and they would take out dirty towels but never bring clean ones.
The actual meeting space was okay but the temperature was never consistent. Most times it was FREEZING COLD!!!
This is a place where I would NEVER stay again!!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to start by saying we are truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. Our team of managers work hard every day to make sure that our guests needs are taken care of and that our team continues to improve for future guests. Your comments will be shared at our next service meeting, to ensure that your future stays or future guest have a better experience. We are surprised to hear about some of your concerns about our location as our facility is in a great location in the city. We are just a block away from the new waterfront development. Along with several great restaurants that are well with in a 5 minute walk. But we will look into your specific concerns and rectify them. Please feel assured your next stay with us will be better, as we make strides to improve every day.
Fords
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed here a couple of times. The room was clean and the staff were courteous and very helpful. We would definitely stay here again. The location of the hotel is very convenient. Lobby, halls and elevator were kept in very clean condition.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to start by saying thank you very much for noticing all the hard work our staff has been doing to make sure each of our guest have a great experience. This hotel has put substantial investments in our guestrooms and common areas over the past few years. Our rooms have new beds, new carpets and wall covering. Along with our newly themed Restaurant the "Harbor Bar and Bistro" which complements our new menu. Please be assured we will share your comments with our full management team and we look forward to taking care of you during your next stay with us.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed here four months ago, regrettably. Our group was forced to stay here as our first choice had been eliminated. The ceiling leaked over the coffeemaker for six nights in a row. After reporting it for the first three nights, I finally gave up, though was erroneously assured it was repaired. There was insufficient hot water for bathing. There was hardly any view from the window, being blocked by HVAC equipment, and was filthy, as if it had not been cleaned since the building was erected. The electronic lock failed and had to be accessed by front desk personnel and repaired at length late at night at bedtime. Housekeeping omitted some amenities one of the days. The air conditioning failed and was not repaired in the lobby area for four days. The breakfast buffet was less than adequate, and my debit card number was captured and recorded on the only morning I dined there. The hotel held back funds on the card, and though there was a significant value left on it, it was denied in two food venues the last evening of my stay in the city, forcing me to pay from my own pocket. When asked about my stay upon checking out, I reported shortcomings to the front desk, and I was promised a partial refund within two to three weeks, but this was not forthcoming. I placed an urgent call to accounting after two months and received a followup call three days hence. Though the indiscretion was reported, nothing further has been received. Of my own free will, I will NEVER be a guest at any Adam's Mark Hotel the rest of my life. I regret there is no lower method of rating this establishment.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Travelogue222
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stayed there for one night only. The room was decent & it offered free wifi which is a winner for me. It might be down to the design of the rooms & corridor. It was very noisy at night. Our window looks out to the 1st floor bar which does not help either. I'm not sure I would rate it a 4* hotel. I've stayed in a lot better ones in the US.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mark-B B, General Manager at Adam's Mark Buffalo, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to start by saying we are truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. Our team of managers work hard every day to make sure that our guests needs are taken care of and that our team continues to improve for future guests. Your comments will be shared at our next service meeting, to ensure that your future stays or future guest have a better experience. We are surprised to hear about some of your guestroom comments as our facility has recently been renovated with all guestrooms getting new carpet, wall covering, and furniture. But we will look into your specific concerns and rectify them. Please feel assured your next stay with us will be better.
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I recently travelled to Buffalo for a conference and decided to stay at the Adam's Mark because of its proximity to the convention center since the two conference hotels were already full. Since I wasn't planning on being in my room for much more than sleeping, all I really cared about was having a clean bed.

As many others have commented, some parts of the hotel are rather dated, but it looks like they are slowly making updates; the lobby, for example, has been redone since the January 2013 photo of it posted on this site. That said, some of the areas that looked refreshed had some cosmetic issues, too: I saw some bubbling wallpaper and scrapped up paint, but overall it looks like the owners are making progress. I'm sure renovating an operating hotel is no small task.

My room looked like it was a renovation in progress. It was clean (except for some cobwebs in the window) and the wallpaper and carpet looked fairly new. The beds had brown, modern looking headboards and comfortable pillow-top mattresses, and the room had a flat-screen HD TV. The furniture and bathroom fixtures, on the other hand were dated. The armoire was scratched up quite a bit and a strip of laminate was missing from the nightstand.

I was a bit worried about WiFi because some sites I looked at said "WiFi in public areas," leading me to think I might not be able to get it in my room. Those sites are out of date, however, as there are many, many access points strung down the hallways that lead to guest rooms now. WiFi signals were strong and WiFi is free, unlike many of the other downtown hotels. Parking is also a deal at $10/night, compared with double that at the official hotels for my conference.

All of the hotel staff I encountered were friendly and professional. The woman who checked me in took the time to explain everything about the hotel to me from where to park my car and find my room to the hours that breakfast was served (my conference provided meals, though, so I did not try the hotel restaurant), how to access the WiFi, and where to find the pool and gym.

Since I only live an hour from Buffalo, I generally don't have a need to stay the night, but if I do ever find myself needing a room there again, I'll definitely consider the Adam's Mark. Actually, it would be nice to go back in a year or so to see how the renovations continue to progress. It looks like it was probably a very nice hotel at one time and it looks like the owners are starting to realize it's potential to be one again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business