“Nice surprise”

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Buffalo
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“Nice surprise”
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Friends and I meet every year for first two rounds of march madness. This year it was in Buffalo. I am a loyal Marriott member however could not find one close to first Niagara center so I booked the Hyatt. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Location was great. Staff was amazing. Room was upgraded to a suite and was very nice and hotel had it all, a spa, a workout facility a small bar and small restaurant however a top rated steakhouse is attached. I must say enjoyed my stay immensely and thanks to staff for making my first ever trip to Buffalo a memorable one.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Steve P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We got a great deal through Wag Jag and spent 2 nights. The staff is amazing. I was very impressed with everyone we encountered. Love the valet parking and wifi which was included.

The room was great, comfy beds, etc. We had room service twice and on both occasions the food was great. My only complaint was that our room was near the pool and there was lots of noise from kids running down the hall.

The location is right in the heart of the city. We love Elmwood Village and the Galeria and other shopping are just minutes away.

I would definitely return and recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Request a room not on the 11th Floor where the pool is
PITTSBURGH
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Stayed there for just one night but as usual everything was perfect. Room was clean and service was great. I was meaning to try the breakfast this time because I was under the impression that changes were made to it since my prior visits but I never quit made it there. I hope to next time. I reccommend this hotel very highly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Auburn, New York
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed 3nights for ncaa basketball. It was clean but a little dated.. Check in wa sgood parking is across the street in a garage which you pay for. The heat was warmin the room and the thermostat didnt seem to work , it was stuffy. Used the gym which was very warm, and pool ok. Breakfast had the buffet, food was so so. Pancakes cold , sausage overcooked., egggs must be instant. Would help if they had heated buffet instead of just pans of food with no flames underneath. Dated as far as carpet, hairdryer old , Tv was on its way out. And i have to agree with other writer I did have a couple of bites on back of neck and red mark on stomach, so i was suspicious about that especially since the weather isnt out of the 20s here. Wasnt bad stay . Would get other coffee they serve starbucks which is just too strong

Room Tip: close to the pool is noisy, but we stayed on the 14 no problem with elevator
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
southport ct
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I am a fussy traveler, but I really liked this hotel. We were in Buffalo for the NCAA basketball tournament in March, 2014, and this was the hotel assigned to our team (Syracuse) so I had no part in choosing it. I have never seen such helpful and friendly lobby staff ... all of whom went out of their way to accommodate their guests. I especially loved Kyle who patiently answered every dumb question and offered very helpful suggestions. The Atrium Restaurant/Bistro is great .... for breakfast, lunch or late night refreshments, and my room was spacious and flawless. A nice bonus is the hotel's location right next to a stop on the FREE light rail train which is a joy to use when traveling the city. If I ever return to Buffalo, I would definitely stay there.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in February. The stay was great - staff were friendly and attentive (especially the bartender whose name I forget... But he was great). However, when I got home and changed for the night, I noticed four small bumps in a row on my arm (I had been home for a few hours and had put my luggage in my room while making dinner, relaxing, etc.). I immediately took my unpacked belongings outside and started washing all the clothes that I'd brought with me. I then called the hotel to tell them what had happened and sent them photos of my arm. They said they would have their team look into it. They called back a few days later to say that they had found nothing. Naturally, I was relieved, but also confused about where the bites had come from. This was the first time ever that I had experienced bites and am positive that there are none at my house (based on experience before my visit, and the fact that roommate has had no bites at all during out tenancy... Also we live in a house, not a condo or apartment building which lowers the risk of contamination from a neighbour).

Fastforward to today... I took some clothes out of my closet and when I was putting them away, I found a bed bug crawling on top of my bed. This, to me indicates that the bed bug had not made a home in my bed. I have since checked my bed thoroughly and found no evidence of any other bugs.

The consensus here among myself, my roommate and others is that the most likely explanation for this is that I picked up a 'hitchhiker' bed bug at the hotel and that the hotel staff, in an effort to protect the hotel's reputation, lied about not finding any bedbugs when they investigated after my complaint.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank J B
Jennifer M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Buffalo, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for completing an online review. We take any feedback regarding our rooms very seriously. As soon as we heard that there may have been bugs in your room, we contacted our Pest Control Vendor and they investigated it immediately. Through their thorough investigation they did not find anything. We are more than happy to share the report from them with you. We really do appreciate your feedback and it is through your comments that we are able to improve.

Jennifer Monge
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Location - in the heart of downtown Buffalo. But our group of moms and daughters were there to shop. We were 15 min from Walden Galleria, 15 min to Amherst where there is lots of shopping there as well (Boulevard Mall, Target, TJ Maxx, DSW) and 25 min to the Niagara outlet. And lots of choices for places to eat in the area.
Room - we also had the same difficulty with our room key as previous reviewer noted. Front desk guy did the best he could regarding this issue. It appears the wallpaper was updated on just one wall in the room to brightened it up. The bathroom appeared updated as well, with a nice, strong shower. We found the room temperature comfortable. But room and hallway still felt dated. Perhaps mostly due to the sad-looking worn carpet.
Lobby and front desk - the lobby was tasteful with an atrium. The front desk people were personable.
Amenities - the pool is deceivingly smaller than the picture appears. But it's located on the 11th floor with floor to ceiling windows for a nice view. The gym is conveniently open 24 hours but it's located on the ground floor, far from the pool.
Parking - valet is $23 but we just parked at the outdoor lot across the street for $15/night.
I had got a great deal on Priceline and for this price, would definitely stay again. But it's not quite up to par as your usual Hyatt. It's closer to a 3-1/2 star than a 4 star +.