“Great Inner City Hotel”

Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Buffalo
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great Inner City Hotel”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Stayed while visiting Buffalo for the Trans Siberian Orchestra concert in December.

The lobby & check in was warm and welcoming after a long drive from the Adirondacks, and I was soon on my way up to the room. I didn't know about the complimentary cookie & bottle of water until I was in my room reading the welcome book; this wasn't offered on check in.

The suite was great with plenty of room & a comfortable chair & desk to work at whilst emailing, etc. The lounge area of the room needs more lighting or the ceiling repainting to increase the light levels.

There was plenty of choices for breakfast with a very helpful lady aiding guests. The scrambled egg mix needs to change as it is dry & tasteless.

Free parking in a local car park is very welcome at a city hotel and easy to use.

All in all a nice two stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
BuffComfortGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for your review. I apologize that the cookies and water were not offered at check in, please feel free to request this at any point during your next stay. I'm pleased that our accommodations met your needs!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We really enjoyed our 2-night stay in Buffalo although the weather really hampered our plans. We had a coupon deal and are glad we found this hotel since we hadn't stayed there before.
Thankfully the king suite room was roomy and comfortable so we didn't mind staying in our room more than we had intended due to the bad weather. The bed was really and comfortable, and we both slept well. The room is a little dated, but more than adequate and clean. It had 2 tvs: one in the bedroom and one in the living area, which included a hide-a-bed, microwave and small fridge. There are no movie rentals on the tv, but the front desk does provide a selection of DVDs to bring to the room for free with the room's DVD player (which is in the living area). The list isn't that extensive though. There is a movie theatre nearby within walking distance.
The staff were all really nice and helpful from the moment we checked in until we left. They were so genuinely nice and even searched things on the computer for us and printed out the directions! Really good of them!
There is an office area with 2 computers and a printer, which is always useful.
The free breakfast is nice although the eggs aren't very good (I think they're powdered). Great coffee though! There is a waffle machine and variety of yogurt and some pastries. It's a decent start to the day. Items are cleared away at 9:30AM sharp though, so don't be late if you're hungry!
This hotel does not have a pool, but we made use of the gym both mornings. It is a limited area but was adequate. I would have liked some free weights and a mat area to do some floor work and stretching, but there was no space.
The location is perfect being right in the centre of downtown. Buffalo has some wonderful architecture and we liked being right in the middle of things. There are also some fantastic restaurants nearby.
We would have done so much more, but snow hindered our trip a great deal. Buffalo does not plow, sand or salt their roads or highways, so it is truly treacherous trying to circumnavigate when you cannot even see the roads' lines and turning lanes through the snow.
We will definitely stay here again is there is more we want to explore -- but in warmer weather!

Room Tip: We were on 7th floor in an corner suite, and really liked it.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
BuffComfortGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Thank you so much for your extensive and great review! Despite the weather, I'm glad you were able to make the most of your stay and enjoy all of our amenities. You are correct about the architecture in Buffalo, the buildings are a sight to see in themselves. I am sorry you got caught in the storm, you will have to come visit us when the weather improves!
Olean, New York
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I was supposed to be leaving on a flight for Chicago from Buffalo airport when I found out I wasn't going to be able to make it. Matt Spencer the general manager helped out tremendously by getting me a room at his hotel and having someone pick me up at the airport. I can't thank him enough for his help, however two ladies also need to be recognized for their wonderful hospitality and help. Michelle picked me up from the airport which is amazing because of the weather conditions and gave me a snack and a drink. Diane set me up with a room, wake up call and a cigarette. I am so thankful for Matt, Michelle and Diane. I wouldn't have made it tonight if it wasn't for them! Thank you so much!

Darrian Baker

• Stayed January 2014
Thank you so much for the great review, we are so glad we were able to help you out! It can be quite stressful when travel plans don't go as expected so it was the least we could do to lessen your stress. I will make sure to let Michelle and Diane know of your kind words!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Enjoyed our stay here. Very clean, good size rooms (king suites only). Very courteous and helpful staff. Location to downtown Buffalo events is ideal - Shea's Performing Arts Center is across the street. Parking is convenient but not on site. TGIF restaurant on premises. Close to major highways.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for the great review! We are always hopeful that our suite set up will meet most everyone's needs. We are fortunate to be located in the heart of the theater district- I hope you enjoyed the show!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We booked a room here as we were in town for the NFL game. It's a great location - and a cab was only about $30.
There is a TGI Fridays downstairs, although we did not eat there. Breakfast was good and included in our room rate.
The fitness centre was good as well, there are a few machines to use which is better than most hotels I stay in.
Free water was available on reception and also an in-room yoga mat. You can also borrow DVDs to watch from reception.
The room has a front room with a sofa bed which was pretty big. Very big bed in the main room which was really comfortable.
Overall we loved it - I don't think you can ask for much more from a hotel!

Stayed December 2013
I'm so glad our hotel and facilities met all of your needs. Luckily, we aren't too far from Ralph Wilson Stadium- Hope to see you again soon!
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Suite extremely well laid out for the size. Perfect for a family stay, although we were only a couple. Stayed here for the annual Disco party. Hotel is very close to the Buffalo Convention Center. No onsite parking, but on weekends there is free overnight parking on the street. Breakfast buffet was good (for a free buffet) with plenty of choice. Front desk staff were courteous and helpful. Would stay again. Onsite TGI Fridays was reasonably priced with good size portions. Reserved the room on Hotwire so I rated it an excellent value.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
BuffComfortGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Hope you had a fun time at the Disco, I heard it had a great turn out! I'm glad to hear our location worked well for you, being walking distance to the convention center. Thanks for taking the time to complete this review and thrilled you were able to take advantage of the TGI Fridays on site.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Found the hotel hard to find, parking is a few blocks away and they do not have entrance doors that open without pulling (hard to do while pushing suitcases) but all in all a good hotel. Complementary cookies at check in were a nice touch. Room was large and clean. Staff was very helpful. They had a very nice complimentary breakfast buffet, Overall a very nice hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
I do apologize for the troubles you experienced when trying to find the hotel. We do appreciate all of your feedback as it helps us make improvements for the future. It is our pleasure to offer an extensive hot breakfast included with your stay. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this review.