“Great Value, but needs attention to detail!”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Buffalo
Reviewed 14 February 2010

Stayed overnight for a sabres game.

Liked the free parking, but didn't like the thought of having to walk a couple blocks if it was very cold, or if you were by yourself at night. Thank goodness neither applied to me this time.
First impression of room was excellent. (loved the 2 separate rooms) From reading other reviews, it appears to have been upgraded. (had 1 new tv, one still old) But then started to notice little things that were off. (part of ceiling not completely finished, light switch old, some marks on toilet, basic unfinished construction type things) If these little things were finished the room would have been top notch!
Staff - Check in and out person were efficient and pleasant enough, but lady who called to tell us the pizza delivery person was there, wasn't overly friendly. It was like we were being a pain for having ordered pizza. (p.s don't order from Prima pizza - took almost 2 hours to get our crappy pizza)
Breakfast - was a good free breakfast - but what would have made it better was to have a person there to keep things clean and stocked. There was cereal and other messes all over.

So overall a great hotel, especially for the price. But if they pay attention to the details they could have a great hotel on their hands.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
BuffComfortGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2010

Dear Sabres fan. Thank you for your comments. Although the renovations have been completed there are some items that we are still putting the finishing touches on. There will be an additional 42" tv in the livingroom(there is a 37" tv in bedroom) when the delayed shipment arrives. As in most large cities parking can be a challenge. Our parking is a block and a half away. However, all the parking spaces are located near the entrance on the lower level for more convenience and we do pay for the parking(most downtown city hotels charge). I will also look at the scheduling needs for breakfast. Thanks again and Go Sabres!

Reviewed 14 February 2010

I booked a room in the hotel because of its location and reasonable price. When I checked in, the access card won't work in the elevators and when the recepionist was told about it, all he said was "I know". Then the heating won't work properly and even on my calling the help desk, nothing was done. Anyway my sleep for the night was ruined by sleeping in the cold and that was not the end of it. I was not even given a wake-up call in the morning which I had requested. For all the trouble that I went through, I was only given a 25% discount. Better to spend a few extra bucks and sleep comfortably.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business

I am very sorry for the problems you encountered. Your comments are very important. Although the elevator did work our key access system to the elevator was malfunctioning. We have since corrected the problem. There were also a few rooms that needed new thermostats and they were fixed. You should have also received a personal wakeup call even if the automatic call did not go through. Although mechanical failures do happen we will make every effort to be more proactive in the future. Thanks again.

Reviewed 20 January 2010

We went to see Bruce Springsteen and stayed at the Comfort Suites Buffalo. We had been there in 2003 for a different Springsteen show and what a difference the new amenities made! It wasn't like the same hotel-very modern and comfortable contemporary feel. We enjoyed the room and bed a lot-slept like a baby and highly recommend.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shuldad
Reviewed 18 January 2010

If I tried to book a room in New York City like the one at Comfort Suites in Buffalo, it would have cost me hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. This was a top-notch suite! The hotel apparently just finished renovations and they did a smashing job - I was beyond impressed. The suite was a true one-bedroom suite with a living room/work area and separate bedroom. The living room/work space was large and also included a nook with fridge, microwave, and coffee/tea maker. All the counters were marble and the room had nice earthy tones that made it feel very relaxing. There was tons of functional work space as well as relaxation space on comfortable chairs/sofas.

The bedroom was superb. It was connected to the living room via small french doors. The bed was very comfortable with a nice comforter. There was also a little sitting area that connected you to the bathroom. You could also access the bathroom from the living room via separate door.

Both rooms had TVs, which I was pretty surprised were OLD SCHOOL when I walked in. They worked, but they didn't fit with the rest of the ultra modern and chic decor. I asked about this and it turns out US Customs has held up the shipment of flat screens. Some rooms have flat screens, but the remainder were held up for lack of paperwork. That stinks because those TVs are the final link to a complete and very VERY well-done renovation that had me wishing I could stay at a Comfort Suites like the one in Buffalo everywhere I travel!

And the BEST part was that this hotel was inexpensive. It was the cheapest I found in downtown that still offered free airport shuttle and even breakfast (a delicious buffet with eggs, ham, cereal, waffles, juice).

My only recommendation for improvement is the airport shuttle. It was OK, but my main gripe is that they were not on time. They picked me up almost 20 minutes late and on the day I returned to the airport, left almost 15 minutes after the stated departure time. This is not OK; it is way too cold to be waiting outside for a shuttle at the airport for that long. And on the way back to the airport, I had left plenty of time, but if I was cutting it close, those 15 minutes make a big difference. I would recommend the hotel work on this - the shuttle should really run like clockwork.

And a note to TripAdvisor: the old pictures of the rooms should be removed and replaced with the newer pictures that have been submitted. The old pictures no longer represent the type of experience to be expected at this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
BuffComfortGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2010

Thank you so much for the Great review. We are very proud of how the renovations turned out. The 42" HDTV's have been held up and we anxiously await their arrival. At that point, we will add a DVD player to all the TV's. We will also work on the promptness of the free shuttle. Thanks again!

Reviewed 19 December 2009

It's true that this hotel is undergoing renovations -- the bathroom in the lobby looked like it had just been finished that day. But the renovators hadn't got to the room I stayed in, nor the one I'd rejected because of a poor Wi-Fi signal. The rooms are poorly lit, with dark 80s-vintage decor and haphazardly placed light switches. The king-size bed was comfortable enough, and the bathroom clean, but I found the overall feel of the suite dingy and depressing. The flat-panel TV in the living room was new (though some kind of no-name brand), but the one in the bedroom looked to be 20 years old. Oh yeah: and the Wi-Fi didn't end up working with my iPhone even when there was a signal.

On the positive side: the Comfort Suites is about as central as you can get, right on the tram line, a block away from the nightclub district. There's a Starbucks two blocks away, which makes up for the so-so buffet breakfast included in the room rate. Parking is in a garage about a block away -- but it's very close, and not as much of a hassle as it seems. And, again, it's included in the price.

I might stay here again if the price is right, but not with any pleasure, at least not unless I get a renovated room with some light.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
BuffComfortGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2009

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. I am surprised to read about some of your comments unless you stayed several months ago and are now just commenting. You mentioned not being in a renovated room because it looked dated and dingy. All rooms have been renovated with brand new carpet, drapes, wall vinyl, furniture, bedding, artwork, lighting and appliances (micro/refrig unit, coffee maker, alarm clock). The new 37" TV will soon be joined with a second 42" TV to replace to "very old" one you saw. TV's were backordered. All guestroom bathrooms were completely renovated too(only the lobby bathroom needs updated now). Hope you will be back again.

Reviewed 4 December 2009

Hotel was just renovated. Beautiful lobby, Rooms and Beds comparable to 4 star hotels. "Continental Breakfast" far exceeds the minimum standards most Comfort Inns provide. Nice exercise room, incredibly convenient to downtown Buffalo. Front desk service is very responsive and attentive. Though 20 minutes from the airport, hotel runs a free shuttle service if you arrange 24 hours in advance.

Negatives: Rooms facing commuter train in downtown gets street noise, though not enough for me to request an inner room (though many are available).
Parking is provided, but requires a short 1 block walk....not a significant issue for me, though I usually take a cab. Room service is provided by TGI Fridays located in the same building. Caution: for 10 years in a row, this TGI Friday's has consistently delivered poor food quality and service...maybe one of the worst in the TGI Friday's chain, which I like.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank djscruggs
Reviewed 1 December 2009

visiting friends and family in buffalo with my partner we want a hotel in downtown close to the action. Surprised how close to was to the bar strip and the cable car. The hotel even has a TGI Friday in it. Hotel staff were friendly and welcoming, unsure what our room would look like after going up a well used lift and outdated hallway, we enter our room and are surprise how big and beautiful it was. The room had its own living room, microwave, fridge, big bathroom and a big kingsize bed with tv in both the bedroom and livingroom. The room was not only spacious but very clean. In the morning we enjoy a free buffet breakfast with a great spread, anything from bacon, to waffles, to cereal, toast, fruit and juice. Would recommend the king bed room to any couple want to get away.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank austriper
BuffComfortGM, Genral Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2009

Thank you for the positive feedback. The hotel is truly in the "Heart" of downtown Buffalo's theater and entertainment district. You are correct about the "lift" (elevator). It is the last piece of renovation not completed. It does operate but we will be putting in new flooring and wall panels in the next 2 weeks. All public areas including lobby, fitness room, business center, corridors and guestrooms are now completely renovated. Hope to see you again!