“It's better than it looks.”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Buffalo
Syracuse, NY
“It's better than it looks.”
Reviewed 12 March 2011

From the outside, I thought we were in for a not-so-great hotel. I was delightfully surprised by the friendly gentleman at check-in, very clean room, very nice smelling linens, and soft towels. Breakfast was good, too. The only downside - we had to park in a lot about a block away (the parking lot at the hotel is only for when you check-in). Also, all of the rooms are suites, so there's two rooms, two TV's, which was nice for the kids.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
BuffComfortGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo, responded to this review, 24 March 2011
Thank you for the nice comments. We are indeed situated in the midst of many attractions and within walking distance to Shea's, HSBC Arena, Convention Center or Coca Cola Field. Understand the frustration about the parking but that is why we do pay for it. Most downtown parking is not near hotel and can be costly. See you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2011

I booked the Comfort Suites while in Buffalo to go to the Canadian Consulate for my VISA. It was the perfect choice! They have free airport transfers, are located 1 block from a free trolley stop that takes you right to the consulate, and a TGIF restaurant attached to the hotel (ate there twice, very good), The room as a spacious suite with a desk, sleeper couch, nice work desk and lounge chair with a TV and DVD player in the living area; a microwave, fridge and coffee maker off to the side; the bedroom can be closed off with french doors offering a comfortable bed, another TV; the bathroom was well lit with a nice shower/tub, decent toiletries and lots of towels. All with a new, comfortable and rich decor!

Along with free wireless, there is a complimentary breakfast (the eggs looked unnatural, but there was make our own waffles, yogurt, muffins, cereals and fresh fruit with lots of beverage choices). The business center was useful with 2 computers and printers.

The staff was exceptional friendly and helpful. They really do make you feel like they would do anything for you! Stay here and you will be very impressed!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank RTVM
BuffComfortGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo, responded to this review, 16 February 2011
Thank you for the wonderful comments! We have been very pleased with the renovations that took place just over a year ago. We believe we offer a great value for a downtown property with all the amenities, services you mentioned and size of the suites. Hope to see you again!
Hyattsville, Maryland
Reviewed 19 January 2011

My wife and I stayed in the Comfort Suites Downtown Buffalo for two weeks while I was in the city for a work assignment. We selected the hotel mainly because its close proximity to downtown and the two-room suites which make a long stay easier to bear.

The room (living area, separate bedroom, and bathroom) was of average quality, although the flat screen TVs in both rooms and the DVD player were nice. There was a minifridge to keep our drinks cold and a microwave, too which we used to warm up some meals purchased from the Super Wal*Mart about 12 miles away.

There are plenty of restaurants in the immediate area, including a TGI Fridays attached to the hotel. The city's single line metro runs right by the hotel as well, making a trip to the Arena or out to eat fairly pain free.

The downfall of the hotel is in its cleaning staff. Our room was rarely cleaned before 3:00 in the afternoon and on two occasions, it was not cleaned at all. When we mentioned this to the front desk attendant, she nodded and said "okay" and that was the end of that. After one of the instances where our room was not cleaned, we asked the front desk staff for new towels on our way to dinner. When we came back 2.5 hours later, the towels still had not been delivered. When the housekeeping staff did arrive, they did a very minimal cleaning including making the bed and putting new towels in the bathroom. As far as I can tell the room was rarely (ever?) vacuumed during our stay and the mirror in the bathroom went uncleaned for three days despite some obvious streaks. To top everything off, the housekeeping staff vacuumed the hallways very late in the evening, even when the hotel had emptied out after the aforementioned hockey tournament. Most nights the hallways were vacuumed between 7pm and 9pm and on one rather memorable occasion, a few minutes after midnight.

Overall, I would say the hotel has fairly affordable rates, but there are others in the area that could probably provide better service (although not having stayed at them, that is a guess).

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
BuffComfortGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo, responded to this review, 21 January 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give feedback. Very sorry about your room experience. We vacuum/clean all the public spaces every day and have now changed the vacumming time to before 5pm. I have also personally addressed the cleanlinees issue you experienced. Thanks again!
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2011

i can't say enough about Gwendolyn. Always bright and cheerful and so early in the morning was a great way to start one's day. What I liked about Gwen, was my 2nd morning I was told I was late for breakfast. Boy did she sound like my late mother. I felt like saying "sorry Mom" but instead Gwen and I had a good laugh. I also found Gwen to be very efficent in her duties and helpful to those who need it. the only regret is she will not be here when I leave on the 6th. I do wish her the best and if she keeps up the good work you will have more people enjoying her company early in the morning.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ron_heather
Thank you for the wonderful comments about Gwen. She has been a great Breakfast Hostess for us and I passed along the comments to her. Glad you enjoyed our free hot breakfast buffet that we serve each morning. Hope you return again to Buffalo.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 December 2010

The good:
- Newly renovated suite with comfortable king-size bed, French doors between bedroom and living room, two flat-screen TVs, and a decent bathroom.
- Very friendly front-desk staff. We were travelling with a newborn infant, and when I needed to sterilize bottles, the staff kindly let me into the breakfast-room kitchen, which contained the only microwave at the hotel big enough for our sterilzer.
- Free parking a block and a half away. (Some previous reviewers complained about the location of the parking garage being difficult for granny, or for boyfriend in wheelchair. Duh. Drop granny off, get her a seat in the lobby, and then go park the car.z)

The not-so-good:
- "Free" breakfast? You get what you pay for. Everything hot is frozen and microwaved, including the so-called "cheese omelettes" and the bacon. Bagels and bread? Who knows how often they get delivery - they taste like cardboard. Better bet is to walk three blocks down the street to the Spot cafe.
- Front doors. They just renovated. Would it have killed them to put in automatic doors so you don't have to struggle to get your luggage in and out?

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
BuffComfortGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo, responded to this review, 3 January 2011
Thank you for the nice comments! We are happy that although we are a premier all suite hotel we have very affordable prices. As far as the front doors being automatic, we too have it on our wish list for the future!
West Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 1 December 2010

The hotel has been renovated since the last time I stayed there 3 years ago, and the rooms are much nicer now. It was very comfortable and conveniently located. The staff was very nice and helpful - especially Gwendolyn who runs the breakfast room. She was always very friendly and took good care of us. My group tended to not be early risers and she never turned us away if we showed up a little past the end of the scheduled breakfast hours, and let us linger without pressure. It was a very nice buffet and a great deal as it was included free.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank JBny7
Thank you for the wonderful comments! Hope you visit our wonderful city again and stay with us!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 November 2010

I have stayed at this hotel since April 2010 as I am a contractor to one of the major banks in the area. I have traveled all over the world in accomodations considered 5-star by most evaluations. I was directed to this property by the bank who has an excellent corporate rate but was instantly un-impressed...it wasn't as clean, no bells and whistles and no points!

After staying a month I tried the Hyatt up the street...as this was more my kind of hotel. I stayed with Hyatt for two weeks and found that for the additional bucks I gave up a larger room with a larger more comfortable bed. Even more important was the lack of warmth from the staff...

I moved back to Comfort Suites where I have been most happy for 6-months. While the accomodations are pretty basic...the space and the comfort of the beds far exceed that of the more noteworthy Hyatt a block away. Comfort's most prized asset is their staff..Jennifer is one of the managers there and bends over backwards to make you feel right at home. In my time here I have known her to release people that do not have a customer service focus.

I am wrapping up my contract here and will really miss the folks at Comfort...special shout out to Jennifer, Christine, Chasity, Rafaella and Mike for making me feel right at home.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank mrraz2
Thank you for the honest and candid comments. We have found that our long term guests do like the large suites and amenities here. I have also mentioned to my staff the nice comments about them. Very appreciated. They really do their best to make sure customer service is top priority!