“Great stay in Buffalo”

DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Buffalo Downtown
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Buffalo
Reviewed 12 May 2012

My family and I stayed here during a recent college visit. The neighborhood leading up to the hotel was a little sketchy, so we were shocked by the look and feel of this property. Once you walk through the front door, you completely forget your surroundings. The lobby and our room were very tastefully decorated, well-appointed, clean and comfortable. We rec'd a room upgrade to a suite for a nominal additional amount. The space was wonderful. The beds were a little firm for my taste, but that's a personal preference issue. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. We were aware that we would have to valet our car, so there was no surprise there. We were able to easily get our car whenever and as many times as we needed it for the same flat rate. Should my child opt to go to school in Buffalo, we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank P R
DoubletreeBuffalo, Assistant General Manager / Director of Sales & Marketing at DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Buffalo Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2012

Dear Guest; thank you for your kind comments regarding your most recent stay with us! I am glad to hear enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed our newly renovated suite! Good luck to you and your child in choosing a college. Buffalo is a great city and we have wonderful schools. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Spent one night here with spouse. Check-in was handled efficiently but wasn't welcomed as a Diamond member. Was given king room on top floor but had to change because the internet didn't work up there (or it isn't set up). New room on 3rd floor-internet worked OK. Valet parking is the only option here ($13/night-in and out privileges). Across the street is the Medical Center-I was a little concerned we'd hear sirens, etc at night but we didn't hear a thing.

Room was nice and large with single-serve coffee maker, fridge, and microwave. Fluffy bedding and towels.

Breakfast is in the Au Bon Pain within the hotel (converts to another restaurant at night). Choose anything off the menu (for Diamond members). Had the asparagus fritatta (delicious) and a veggie omelet (yum) and the service was excellent and cheerful.

Only complaints concern the parking (took a long time to get one's car and lack of a self-parking option) and it always seemed there were room service remnants outside rooms and dirty linens in bags near the elevators. Not the greatest stuff to see when you get off the elevator on your floor.

Otherwise, we enjoyed our stay and would return.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dangrad
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My son and I stayed at Double Tree Club recently for a college visit in the area. From the time I made the reservation to the time they dropped us off at the train station, everyone of the staff was helpful. The shuttle service was extremely helpful, so it was not necessary for me to rent a car or to take taxis. I am not familiar with the area, and since my son will be starting school in the area in the fall, I definately will be spending my visits at the Double Tree. My husband didn't join me on this trip, and even though my son spent the night at the college dorms, I still felt very comfortable there by myself.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank love2travelxoxo

Dear love2travelxoxo; thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay with us! I am happy to see you utilized our shuttle service to/from the local colleges in the area! It is a wonderful amenity we offer here at the DoubleTree Club by Hilton. We are very lucky to be on the medical campus as they provide our guests and our employees a comfortable, quiet and safe atmosphere; which many of our guests like yourself enjoy! We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

When things were good, they were great. When they were bad, they were really bad.

The Good-
*Early check-in was a pleasant surprise.
*The room was nice. Clean and the linens and towels were new and not the cheap kind that can scratch your skin off.
*The bed was comfortable with nice pillows. I suggest not getting a double bed- If you are over 5'5", I can't imagine your feet not dangling off.
The desk staff were very friendly and apologetic for pitfalls.

The Bad-
I chose this hotel because I am a Hilton Gold Club member therefore accumulate rewards points. In addition, they have an advertised shuttle to and from the airport for $18 each way-$10 less than a taxi. My flight was arriving late afternoon for a concert at the arena and had read that they shuttle to the arena. Well..........
I arrived at the airport, called when the plane arrived and was still pulling into the gate as I knew it would take them a little time to get there. They said it would be 25 minutes and told me where to eet the shuttle. I went straight there. I had no stops for luggage. I waited 30 minutes, then 45 min. in case they were running late. Then I called the hotel. They went to check with the driver. after 10 minutes on hold, I thought they forgot me so I called back. Rang 10 times. Called again-rang another 10 times. Called a 3rd time-rang 15 times. Someone answered on the 4th try. They told me the shuttle driver was already at the airport and left as he didn't see me. That was simply not true. It took me 7 minutes max to get from the place to the hotel shuttle curb. I saw every other hotel and car rental shuttle. No Doubletree. By this time I had been at the hotel for an hour and was late for meeting other people coming in for a concert. They said they would send the driver again but it would "be a while." when asked, they said "45 minutes due to construction." I told them I couldnt wait that long and had to take a taxi. Arrived at the hotel in about 15 minutes and told them who I was. Staff was very apologetic however said the driver didn't know where to go at the airport therefore he never arrived. What?! At the minimum, the hotel should have reimbursed me in some fashion for the additional cost for having to take a taxi. Or they could have offered a comped ride back to the airport the following a.m. It just didnt seem that saying the shuttle driver didnt know where to go therefore left you at the airport was exactly the way to treat your Gold Club members.

The shuttle was not going to the arena either even though that's what I was told on the phone. Instead it would drop you at the subway which takes you directly to the arena. They suggested I take the closest subway stop at Allen St. and pay the $1.75 each way to get back and forth. No problem. I did get there by that way. paid my rountrip ticket and got on the train. Oddly enough, there was nowhere or noone to take my purchased ticket and as I found out at the end of my stay, the shuttle driver who took me to the airport said that it's pretty much an honor system. There is no turnstile to enter your ticket to get out and no one to check tickets. Huh?
inevitably, due to all of the shuttle issues, I was too late to meet up with friends coming in from other cities for the concert.

The Ugly-
Answer the phone. At least answer the phone number that is advertised on numerous sites. That's the number that I called that I mentioned earlier that just wasn't answered. After the concert in the evening, the subway train was sooo packed and running slow, we started walking to get a taxi. Oddly, they block off roads to the arena so taxis cannot get in. All of the taxis we saw as we walked were either full or drivers would not stop. We walked over to more busy streets hoping for better luck. No luck. So we walked back to the train tracks as I knew they led to the Hyatt where I stayed last time. We called the hotel from there hoping the shuttle could pick us up if it was still available. Ring ring ring-rang 15 times. I called again-same thing. I asked the Hyatt concierage to call because I was unable to reach them. They answered immediately and luckily, they did send a shuttle for us even though it was 11:30 p.m. The driver I must say was very nice, drove us somewhere we could get food and drink and even showed us the route for us to walk back to the hotel as he was ending his shift. Nonetheless, if the number advertised all over the internet is not a line to be answered, why is it there? It is the number I programmed in my phone and each time I finally did get a hold of someone, they never said there was an alternate number.

So overall, the hotel was fine. There just seemed to be problems with the shuttle efficiency which was very problematic. Because it is advertised as a benefit of booking there, they should have a better system.

Room Tip: Only choose a double bed if you are of short stature. If you are 6 feet tall, bring socks because yo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jackson6
esarkis, General Manager at DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Buffalo Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at our hotel last weekend. I appreciate your feedback as it gives us an opportunity to make improvements and changes that will increase our level of hospitality. First of all , thank you for all the positive comments you made. I appreciate it and will make sure I share them with the staff. I am terribly sorry about the shuttle service Friday evening. I need to do some more follow-up to determine what happen with the airport shuttle; that is something we usually do well. We knew it was going to be a challenge to get all our concert guests to the arena that evening and thought that the subway was the best solution. Obviously, the demand was under-estimated. As for our poor phone service; there is just no excuse. Please accept my personal apology for that. If you return to the Buffalo area in the future, I would love to offer you a complimentary overnight stay in an attempt to demonstrate that your experience was not the usual service we offer. Please do not hesitate to call me at the hotel. Again, I thank you for your time. Elaine Sarkis, GM

Reviewed 24 March 2012

Great staff, they were enthusiastic about their jobs.

Rooms were clean, modern. Spacious bathroom. The fitness center was better than some other Doubletrees.

I will be back in Buffalo in August and have already made reservations.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Gamecock87
DoubletreeBuffalo, Assistant General manager/Director of Sales & Marketing at DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Buffalo Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Dear Guest; we are looking forward to your return this August! Thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel and staff!

Reviewed 23 March 2012

Stayed for one night for a concert. Upon arrival, we were greeted with a delicious cookie and friendly staff who quickly arranged to have a shuttle take us to the concert located close by.

I was skeptical about the location at first, because of where the hotel was situated. However, my doubts were quickly erased as soon as we entered the lobby and eventually into the rooms.

The area was safe; the rooms & bathroom were modern and super clean; beds very cozy. (Tip: Discovered that Wi-Fi is available in rooms on the 2nd Floor, where the gym & library are located)

The A/C was slightly loud, but not enough to be a bother. Parking is a little out of the way. Not bad if it's a nice day. Open to using the Valet next time.

We have stayed at a number of hotels in the Buffalo area, but have decided, that this will be the hotel of choice whenever we return!

Room Tip: Wi-Fi is available in rooms located on the 2nd Floor (where the library, gym are located). Found out...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank iamdeecee
DoubletreeBuffalo, Assistant General Manager/Director of Sales & Marketing at DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Buffalo Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Dear Ms Lady Dee; wow! What a great review! Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay at our hotel! Being on the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus makes us one of the safest hotels in the city! We are very lucky to be in the location that we are in!
In regards to WiFi; you are correct, we have complimentary WiFi on our first and second floors. However, we are in the process of installing WiFi in all 100 of our guestrooms and it should be up and running within the next few days!
We look forward to your return! Oh, make sure you get another cookie or two; they are delicious and available at any time!

Reviewed 23 March 2012

I stayed here with my wife and young daughter prior to minor surgery at Buffalo Children's Hospital. The stay was flawless and everyone that I encountered was wonderful. My daughter was unable to eat for 8 hours prior to surgery (and she was only 10 months at the time) so she was quite fussy but the front desk was very nice about getting us a room that was away from other people (for our benefit and theirs I suppose). Also, a nice touch that I haven't run into often was the front desk called up to the room shortly after we arrived to ensure that everything was to our liking. I was very pleased with this place!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Marc L

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the DoubleTree! I hope your doing is doing well! Should you return to Buffalo, I hope you will consider staying with us once again. Thank you Marc!