I ended up reserving this through Hotwire at a very good discount, which I don't think I'll ever do again. When I called to see what kind of room we booked, I was disappointed that it was a smoking room. My husband and I are both troubled by allergies and I am asthmatic and there were no non-smoking rooms available. The man did tell me to call the following day before we checked in when the manager would be in. As we were driving there, there were still no rooms. Our luck changed by the time we got there though...a smoker wanted a smoking room and we were able to switch. Yay! The manager, Jean, was incredibly accommodating, and informative of the area. When we went through the lobby later that evening and during check-out, she knew who we were by face. Thought that was a plus nowadays unfortunately.
Pluses: Great looking hotel in a a pretty slow part of the city (it is the medical corridor so not too much to do immediately by and is tired looking). Valet service is worth it if you don't feel like lugging your things a block or two from a parking lot or ramp or are too unfamiliar with the area. There is a bit of a wait, but if you plan ahead and give them 15-20 minutes time to get your car, you should be good. Staff was very friendly and professional looking. The toiletries were Neutregena and the shower can get very hot so I was happy. Bed was super comfy; bit on the soft side if you are concerned. We had breakfast delivered to the room and the food was fine. Nothing incredible but fine nonetheless and they made it as requested (egg whites instead, wheat toast, etc.). Being in the city and away from the clubs, we were quite surprised how nice it was. If you are going to be visiting anyone at Roswell Hospital or Buffalo General, this is the one you want. Roswell is connected to the hotel with a bridge too. There is a free shuttle service through the hotel to anywhere within 5 miles. That will get you to just about any place on interest or to a place to catch public transportation in the city from that location. We did notice on our floor, there was a "living room" area with couches, chairs, and television as well as a game room which was just a room with tables. Very nice I'm betting for longer stays. I believe every room has a fridge, microwave, coffee maker also. It was nice to be able to chill our wine while we went out.
Negative: The walls are basically dividers and that's about it with the amount you hear through them. Wasn't a problem for us with the neighbors we had, but is often I'm sure. Our heater was quite loud. We had to turn the tv up, which then made me worry we were being too noisy for the neighbors knowing how much we could hear. It wasn't a concern to us, but there is no "view" I don't think with the placement of the hotel. Could be wrong on that. Very dry air as are many hotels. All of these negatives would not detract us from staying here again if we have a reason. I am easily bothered by hotels and the idea of germs, dirty linens, etc. and I had no issues whatsoever.
For out of towners: The famous Anchor Bar is not far away at all. If they're too busy, a little farther away but still close is Gabriel's Gate which is very similar but has cheaper wings.
A previous reviewer mentioned cleaning staff knocking repeatedly. We did not hear this or see anyone and we didn't leave until check-out time at noon. We were only on the 2nd floor too.
If you're not worried about city views, traveling a little (very little) to get somewhere, or thin walls, this is a great place to stay at a reasonable price. If you're really willing to take a risk, I was able to get the room through Hotwire for $68 which was a steal!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DoubleTree by Hilton Buffalo Downtown, is located on the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus. A 100% non-smoking hotel; the DoubleTree offers all of the comforts of home! Complimentary WiFi and in room safes are complimentary and in all of our tranquil rooms. Experience the all new "HD residential experience" on our brand new flat screen televisions. The DoubleTree is just minutes from everything truly unique to Buffalo; Canalside, HarborCenter, First Niagara Center, Ralph Wilson Stadium, Coca Cola Field and Shea's Theatre just to name a few. Niagara Falls is a short 25 minute drive from Buffalo! Come stay with us, you will not be disappointed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Buffalo Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree Hotel Buffalo Downtown
- Doubletree Buffalo
- Doubletree Downtown Hotel