“Surprising Find”

Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Buffalo
NY
“Surprising Find”
Reviewed 14 February 2010

I ended up reserving this through Hotwire at a very good discount, which I don't think I'll ever do again. When I called to see what kind of room we booked, I was disappointed that it was a smoking room. My husband and I are both troubled by allergies and I am asthmatic and there were no non-smoking rooms available. The man did tell me to call the following day before we checked in when the manager would be in. As we were driving there, there were still no rooms. Our luck changed by the time we got there though...a smoker wanted a smoking room and we were able to switch. Yay! The manager, Jean, was incredibly accommodating, and informative of the area. When we went through the lobby later that evening and during check-out, she knew who we were by face. Thought that was a plus nowadays unfortunately.

Pluses: Great looking hotel in a a pretty slow part of the city (it is the medical corridor so not too much to do immediately by and is tired looking). Valet service is worth it if you don't feel like lugging your things a block or two from a parking lot or ramp or are too unfamiliar with the area. There is a bit of a wait, but if you plan ahead and give them 15-20 minutes time to get your car, you should be good. Staff was very friendly and professional looking. The toiletries were Neutregena and the shower can get very hot so I was happy. Bed was super comfy; bit on the soft side if you are concerned. We had breakfast delivered to the room and the food was fine. Nothing incredible but fine nonetheless and they made it as requested (egg whites instead, wheat toast, etc.). Being in the city and away from the clubs, we were quite surprised how nice it was. If you are going to be visiting anyone at Roswell Hospital or Buffalo General, this is the one you want. Roswell is connected to the hotel with a bridge too. There is a free shuttle service through the hotel to anywhere within 5 miles. That will get you to just about any place on interest or to a place to catch public transportation in the city from that location. We did notice on our floor, there was a "living room" area with couches, chairs, and television as well as a game room which was just a room with tables. Very nice I'm betting for longer stays. I believe every room has a fridge, microwave, coffee maker also. It was nice to be able to chill our wine while we went out.

Negative: The walls are basically dividers and that's about it with the amount you hear through them. Wasn't a problem for us with the neighbors we had, but is often I'm sure. Our heater was quite loud. We had to turn the tv up, which then made me worry we were being too noisy for the neighbors knowing how much we could hear. It wasn't a concern to us, but there is no "view" I don't think with the placement of the hotel. Could be wrong on that. Very dry air as are many hotels. All of these negatives would not detract us from staying here again if we have a reason. I am easily bothered by hotels and the idea of germs, dirty linens, etc. and I had no issues whatsoever.

For out of towners: The famous Anchor Bar is not far away at all. If they're too busy, a little farther away but still close is Gabriel's Gate which is very similar but has cheaper wings.

A previous reviewer mentioned cleaning staff knocking repeatedly. We did not hear this or see anyone and we didn't leave until check-out time at noon. We were only on the 2nd floor too.

If you're not worried about city views, traveling a little (very little) to get somewhere, or thin walls, this is a great place to stay at a reasonable price. If you're really willing to take a risk, I was able to get the room through Hotwire for $68 which was a steal!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stepmonster27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
North America
Reviewed 23 January 2010

I arrived at the hotel around 4pm - the check-in guy (Front Desk Supervisor) didn't even look-up when I entered and approached the desk. I waited for him to acknowledge me and I waited... finally I took out my Hilton Honors Diamond Member card and put it in front of his nose. Eventually, he asked me my name and I pointed to my card, which he ignored and barked his question again. I got to my room, which was HUGE, but I was disappointed because the place looked like it hadn't been updated since the 80's. I guess I could have forgiven the hotel's decor if it hadn't been for the experience at the front desk. Listen up hotel people 'you're there to do a job, if it's too much to smile and welcome the client, get another job!!' Breakfast is served in the Bon Pain Cafe, which was good. I checked out at the front desk and this time I was looked after my an exceptionally nice lady to took care of me and even arranged to have my luggage taken to my car. What a shame she wasn't there to welcome me in...

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
RIchmond, VA
Reviewed 4 January 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel on Dec. 23 and had such a great experience we stayed again Jan 2 & 3. I booked the hotel because of the location to the anchor bar. The hotel offers a free shuttle service to anywhere within a 5 miles radius of the hotel of which we took advantage. When we arrived the front desk workers (esp. a man named Randy) were exceptionally nice and friendly. We were upgraded with no charge to a larger room and got free double tree cookies which are DELICIOUS! We returned to buffalo and decided to stay at this hotel again. We were able to walk to Allentown which has bars and restaurants. The only tiny complaint we had was the heater was a little noisy but that's it. Great hotel experience :-)

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 28 December 2009

The location of the Hotel is the main reason why I chose to stay here.
I was equally impressed by the helpful nature of Hotel staff in helping us identify tourist spots and giving directions. We can walk to the Anchor bar :) the best
This hotel was friendly and clean.
The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle bus to get around buffalo

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank asujantos
Austin, TX
Reviewed 17 December 2009

I flew into Buffalo and needed a place to stay, so picked this based on the reviews, the price and believe it or not, the proximity to the airport (even though it's downtown - only 10 minutes by freeway). With the rate at ~$100 and free internet, that's a good deal. I got in fairly late, so couldn't really tell much about the surrounding area - it didn't seem too bad driving to and from the hotel from the freeway, but I didn't wander around at all. The staff at the front desk was great - both in the evening and the morning, very friendly, helpful, and professional. Check-in and check-out were quick and efficient, and no errors on either one.

The room was decent size, plenty of room between the bed and the desk, so it was easy to work. The free internet was nice - worked well, and can't beat the price. The room also has a microwave and small fridge, then standard size bathroom and closet. Like some of the other reviewers, I was on the side of the hotel that's right next to (I guess) a hospital building, so no real "view" so to speak, but that wasn't a big deal.

The 2nd floor of the hotel is setup with a big laundry room with chairs and tables if you have to wait for a while. There is also a fitness center with 3 treadmills, a bike/elliptical, and free weights - really enjoyed that. And finally, there is a "Living Room/Game Room" combination with couches, chairs, books, a big TV, tables, etc. It seems the hotel (rooms and 2nd floor in particular) are setup for people making extended stays - that's a really nice touch, and it's nice to have even if you are staying there for just 1 day.

I had breakfast the next morning at the hotel restaurant/Au Bon Pain - nothing to write home about, but the staff were all very friendly and attentive. Don't go there for the food, but if you have to have breakfast you can sit down and order off the menu, or go to the counter and order something to go. There was also a bar/restaurant looking part of this space, but it wasn't in use in the morning.

The valet parking is WELL worth the extra $2... they park it for you at night (which based on other reviews sounds like a good idea), and then they ask you what time you want it ready, and they have it waiting for you at that time, so you don't have to call and wait the next morning.

Although I didn't use this amenity, they told me the shuttle could take me to and from places there in downtown Buffalo (HSBC Center and Anchor Bar - home of the original Buffalo wings) if needed. That's a nice feature, especially in a new city where you don't know how or want to drive around. Like I said earlier - location is good, right off 33 and easy to get on and off the freeway. Given the price as well, I'd definitely stay here again if I'm in Buffalo.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank Travel_Reviewer20
Baarn, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 November 2009

I arrived in Buffalo by train at Exchange street and chamged to tram. The hotel is a short walk from the Allen/Medical Campus stop. Remember this stop is the first/last stop where you must pay, but the tram is free in downtown Buffalo. The hotel is among several medical buildings but outside there the area does not feel comfortable. Check in was friendly, I was offered a delicious warm cookie! Hotel staff is very helpful and friendly. My room was big and comfortable. I did not use the restaurant. Instead I bought drink and food in a store on the High Street/Michigan Avenue. I had micro and fridge in my room. And the free WIFI is great plus. I would stay here again when in Buffalo.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
Thank A.Brouwer
Northern Virginia
Reviewed 14 November 2009

Room type: King bed guest room

The Positives: Large spacious rooms that are fairly clean and nicely decorated. Large desk and high-speed internet included free with room. Nice sitting chair with lamp for reading and TV watching. Teeny tiny kitchenette area with little refrigerator and microwave with storage cabinets above. Enough to keep snacks around. Bathroom was ordinary but clean. Dresser with six drawers to store clothing and whatever. Clean carpet and furniture. Very comfortable bed with plush multiple pillows. Half the desk staff was friendly and half the staff was not. Just depended who was on duty when you needed something. They provided a nice crib on wheels but do not have any high chairs. Found it difficult to feed active baby without being able to strap baby down to a high chair. Fairly baby safe room for toddler.

The Negatives: The worse part of the stay was not being able to control the room temperature. We stayed in November and it wasn’t that cold outside (high of 60 degrees) but the hotel still had a lot of external heat (hallways and just heat rising from bottom floors) that heated our room. The room was so hot and dry. I could feel my skin just wrinkling up from lack of moisture in the room. Baby developed a cough in mornings from sleeping with hot dry air. Went away as soon as we left hotel. I inquired at the desk why our room was so hot when we had the heating unit turned off. Got a shrug of the shoulders kind of response.

Parking is $10 for the duration of your stay and it’s valet parking. You don’t want to do self parking because hotel doesn’t seem to be in a safe looking neighborhood and the valet parking is supposed to be secured. There’s only a small semi-circle for cars in front of hotel and since it’s valet parking, you find too many cars jammed up front waiting for their owners to claim them. They will park your vehicle halfway up on the curb so expected your tires to get rubbed from the curve. Have to walk all around cars with luggage and then wiggle your way out with vehicle.

They only have two LUGGAGE carts available in hotel to service all their guest. They need to purchase more. We had extra gear and really needed a cart but none was ever available, both checking in and out. It was a PAIN IN THE REAR. When we asked the front desk for a luggage cart, they just said in a matter of fact way they are being used. No offer to help unload our luggage. So we unloaded the luggage, making a few trips and staged everything in their lobby area. I think that was their wake up call we needed help as we cluttered up their lobby area with our stuff spread out all over. Although my spouse asked, I went to ask again for a luggage cart and let them know I was annoyed. They need more luggage carts. Finally, they got a staff member to help carry the stuff from lobby to room.

Housekeeping. The housekeeper didn’t like that we didn’t want her to clean our room. All we wanted was a change of towels and to remove trash. Just got a feeling from looking at her face she was not happy with our request.

View: Our room looked out to another brick wall. I imagine the views are not great in most of the rooms.

General:
They have a tiny gift shop with drinks and snacks too. Restaurant didn’t look that special. Room service is expensive as always. Lobby are is nice but small. Hotel connects to the hospital. They do not have high chairs in the restaurant for children either. The “game” room means it’s just a room you can bring games from home to play on the tables they provide.

Summary. I would not stay here again because I find the parking and room temperature too challenging to deal with but if you don’t mind a hot and dry room and want to be close to the hospital, this hotel would be a good choice.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business