“Older motel that is cheap but no frills, and not the cleanest...”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Econo Lodge South

Econo Lodge South
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Buffalo
Calgary, Canada
“Older motel that is cheap but no frills, and not the cleanest...”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel for just a shopping trip to Buffalo. The hotel is about 15 minutes drive from the Galleria Mall. We chose it because it was the cheapest we can find last minutes over a weekend in July. It worked out to be around $75 (including taxes) when booked directly with the hotel.

We checked in late but the staff were very happy to greet us. The location was quite but we can occasionally hear our neighboring guests walking down the hall (the walls are not the thickest).

In the bathroom, we noticed both of our shower towels were dirty! It has some sort of yellow stain on them..... when we asked the front desk for replacement, they showed us that they had no more bath towel and gave us two hand towel. It did the job but surely didn't leave us with a good impression.

The breakfast the next morning was served from 6-9 and the staff filled the breakfast area until way past 9AM. There were however only 3 tables to sit in the breakfast area so most guests had to take their food and return to the rooms. The breakfast only included bagels, muffins, pastry, coffee, juice (apple and orange), and oatmeal.... there's nothing more (not even milk).

So bottom line, if you need a cheap place to crash and don't expect the most quite room, the cleanest towels, nor a great breakfast, this is the place for you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SammiBoi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Michigan
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

I used my points to stay at this location on my way home to Michigan from the east coast. It was very easy to find right off the highway a small distance. The check in was very smooth and we were in our large two bed room quickly. It was a very clean room but had a little bit of a smell but I had downy beads in my car and sprinkled them around and opened window. I'm not sure if last customer smoked in it or not but that's kind of what it smelled like, either way, room was clean, safe and we felt very secure. There was a small breakfast included which was bagels, English muffins, Danishes and hot cereal. Beverages were also offered. It would be a smart value to stay here if you were traveling in the area. Employees were friendly each time we saw one.

• Stayed July 2013
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 13 July 2013

The check in was smooth. Room was spacious and well furnished for 4 of us with a baby. Clean room. It served our purpose of visiting Niagra Falls. Located around 30-45 minutes drive from Niagra Falls. However the reception is located at a distance from the room which might be a problem in case there is rainfall and you want to go to the reception or have breakfast. No issues with the room. A fredge/microwave will have been good for the price paid of 200 plus.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I just needed something cheap and clean. Nothing fancy or anything. It was a quick weekend to visit a friend and checking out the antique malls. If you're looking for a nice getaway destination, I wouldn't really suggest this place. But, for a quick two night stay this was fine.

The room seemed clean to me. There's free breakfast, which isn't anything too excited. Individually wrapped cheese danish from the corner store and plain bagels were what we grabbed to eat. The internet is free, although wasn't good enough to watch Hulu (which frustrated my husband). It was fine for checking email and facebook though. They have a TV to watch there anyway. Check in and out was quick and the one employee i talked to was friendly.

Honestly, for the price you really can't beat it. I got online advanced pricing, and then when we checked in we were able to get the AAA discount on top of that. I will be staying there again in the future when we go to visit our friend in Buffalo again. It was the cheapest place around, and I've seen worse.

Room Tip: I preferred the second floor rooms. There are only two levels.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Ilion, New York
Reviewed 30 December 2012

I and my family having been staying at this motel for years. This year was just a terrible experience, every year I take my daughter for a Christmas present to a Bills game. I don't even know where to begin, first of all the mattress stained what looked like feces on the wall, our room was not serviced properly. The topper was that the room next us, there were 3 women staying, whom by the way said they were having a rehab get together, evidently rehab didn't work for them. Anyway being a game weekend we were on the balcony visiting with other Bills fans, and the girls next door joined us. The one girl became irrate and actually charged at my daughter and put her hands around her neck. I was in disbelief, the Bladsdell police came and took her away. Before them arriving she had smeared pepperoni and cheese all over my daughter's car. The woman also destroyed the room they were staying in. It was a scary experience, and I feel the motel did not handle it well at all. We went for our annual trip to a game, and I wanted to write this so other families will never have to endure the awful stay that we had. Also, after spending hard earned money for a mini vacation and have it turn out like that. I would think motel would of returned our money, this is no way to run a business. I am planning on following through with this being looked into, as I would not want anyone to have such a thing happen to them.

Room Tip: Please travelers search on.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank lisa s

Travellers are raving about these Buffalo hotels

Reviewed 29 December 2012

I recently stayed here for about a week and i can say great for price. The workers were nothing but nice and chatty. Rooms were very clean, except for some random blood on my pillowcase. There were also ants that bite real hard. My baby had a huge painful bite after i pulled it off him. It wouldnt let go.

The breakfast was a joke. The bagels are only raisin and seasame. They offer mini muffins and the bagels and standard oj and coffee. But you better get there early. Although the friendly staff says you may take as you wish.
So much potential. But just doesnt cut it. I thank the staff a thousand times for being so nice to me and my kids.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank steennfriends
Mansfield, Ohio
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Typically I make it a point to avoid Econo Lodge motels/hotels. Let's just say that I've had a few bad experiences. When my husband decided at the last minute that he wanted to travel to Niagara Falls for Labor Day I had a really hard time finding a hotel that was available and under $200 in the area we wanted to stay in. It doesn't help that a standard hotel room just doesn't work for my family of five anymore. After reading the reviews here on TripAdvisor of the property, I decided to take a chance and reserved the last room that offered 3 double beds. I knew from the pictures that the property would be dated but my utmost concern was cleanliness and safety. Econo Lodge South met and exceeded my expectations on both counts. Is the property dated? Yes, but it has had some improvements. My kids were thrilled that our room actually offered two rooms with two TV's. When my husband and I were ready for bed we closed our door while the kids stayed up playing games on their phones and watching TV. A win-win for all of us. The front desk attendant was very nice. The room was extremely clean- and I'm very picky. We were very comfortable. I wouldn't have any qualms about staying here again. Another perk is that it offered easy on/off access to I-90.

Room Tip: If you have a large family, the room with 3 double beds is the way to go.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TheTravelingPraters
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buffalo
Adam's Mark Buffalo
BEST WESTERN - On The Avenue
Comfort Inn Cheektowaga
Comfort Inn Cheektowaga
#10 of 22 in Cheektowaga

Been to Econo Lodge South? Share your experiences!