“great stay”
Review of Econo Lodge South

Econo Lodge South
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Buffalo
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Big clean rooms pleasant staff. Close to Ralph Wilson Stadium and shopping. I would recommend this motel to anyone. Right off the I90 Lots of places to eat. Sports bar next store, but quite at night, I will stay again for the next game

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I chose this hotel based on other travelers' reviews and the price. I can't believe these prices around Buffalo, especially in what seems like off-season. When first I drove in, I realized that my wife and I had stayed here about 10 years earlier, and I asked myself "Oh, why did I reserve this place?" But I was pleasantly surprised to find a nice clean room. Apparently the room had been upgraded recently because the carpet was in excellent condition, and there was new wallpaper throughout. The wallpaper was a surprise to me for a relatively low-cost hotel. I never understood why anyone would put wallpaper in a bathroom with all the damage that moisture can do.

My room was very small. It was OK for one person, but because I reserved the lowest priced room, I can't really complain. It would be a real challenge for a second person because with someone sitting at the desk there was no space to walk between the bed and the desk chair. There was also minimal counter space at the wash basin, which I found less than convenient. As if this room wasn't small enough already, I asked for a refrigerator, which barely fit into the room. They didn't even plug in the refrigerator, and I had to move it slightly so that the cord would reach the outlet.

Overall, I'd stay here again because of the price if I had to be in the Buffalo area and couldn't find any other reasonably priced hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Definitely not a fancy place but very nice for the money. Clean, comfortable, and a breakfast too. This hotel is very handy to major highways with easy on and off access. There are many eating establishments in the area as well as shopping malls and movie theaters. We find ourselves making reservations here regularly when we travel north especially to Niagara Falls. Being only an hour away, it is a great stopover.

Room Tip: No pool or extra activities but this is a great sleeping place for the price. We stay here often on...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ANTHONY R
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Even if desperate staying overnight in vehicle a better option. Even though our room was non smoking it smelled of smoke. One bed was unmade, bathroom dirty, toilet was not cleaned, garbage not emptied. Only redeeming quality is the sports bar next to it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed there for one night. When we walked into the room, we were hit by a musty, sweaty odor. It seemed to be coming from the AC unit. We sprayed it with Febreeze and set out some air fresheners to cover it up. The carpets were dirty. I noted a pile of bugs under the headboard (see pictures). I guess the vacuum doesn't reach under there. Cob webs all over. The toilet overflowed and flooded the bathroom floor. Fortunately, I did not see any evidence of bed bugs.

We definitely got what we paid for. A cheap, dirty hotel. I will NEVER stay there again!

Room Tip: Want a good room...go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank SP692013
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel for just a shopping trip to Buffalo. The hotel is about 15 minutes drive from the Galleria Mall. We chose it because it was the cheapest we can find last minutes over a weekend in July. It worked out to be around $75 (including taxes) when booked directly with the hotel.

We checked in late but the staff were very happy to greet us. The location was quite but we can occasionally hear our neighboring guests walking down the hall (the walls are not the thickest).

In the bathroom, we noticed both of our shower towels were dirty! It has some sort of yellow stain on them..... when we asked the front desk for replacement, they showed us that they had no more bath towel and gave us two hand towel. It did the job but surely didn't leave us with a good impression.

The breakfast the next morning was served from 6-9 and the staff filled the breakfast area until way past 9AM. There were however only 3 tables to sit in the breakfast area so most guests had to take their food and return to the rooms. The breakfast only included bagels, muffins, pastry, coffee, juice (apple and orange), and oatmeal.... there's nothing more (not even milk).

So bottom line, if you need a cheap place to crash and don't expect the most quite room, the cleanest towels, nor a great breakfast, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SammiBoi
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

I used my points to stay at this location on my way home to Michigan from the east coast. It was very easy to find right off the highway a small distance. The check in was very smooth and we were in our large two bed room quickly. It was a very clean room but had a little bit of a smell but I had downy beads in my car and sprinkled them around and opened window. I'm not sure if last customer smoked in it or not but that's kind of what it smelled like, either way, room was clean, safe and we felt very secure. There was a small breakfast included which was bagels, English muffins, Danishes and hot cereal. Beverages were also offered. It would be a smart value to stay here if you were traveling in the area. Employees were friendly each time we saw one.

• Stayed: July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buffalo
Adam's Mark Buffalo
Best Western - On The Avenue
Red Roof Inn Buffalo - Hamburg
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo
Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown

Been to Econo Lodge South? Share your experiences!