“Ideal location & setting”
Review of Mill Street Inn

Mill Street Inn
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We spent two nights celebrating an anniversary at the Mill Street Inn, and could not have been happier. We found the location, which we initially thought out of the way, to be absolutely perfect - short enough walk to the piers and restaurants, but also close to the more interesting dining area north of "downtown" Newport. Add in that it was easy to hop on the bicycles from there and get out to Cliff Walk without having to navigate the rougher traffic areas. What you also gain location-wise is being back among the older, more historic buildings - really enjoyable. On top of that, our room had a private deck with a beautiful view of the bridge and waterfront. Highly recommended, and worth looking around to get a deal.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jay B

Reviewed 28 January 2013

Just stayed at this lovely inn over the weekend of 1/26 in a studio suite. We arrived at 12:30 p.m. & were able to get into our room right away (normal check-in is 3:00 pm). Front desk staff were very nice & eager to please. The room was very cozy & nicely apppointed with exposed brick walls blended with modern decor & great nautical art work everywhere. Felt like you were in your own little apartment. The very comfortable king size bed with the abundance of down pillows was very luxurious. It was nice to have the bathroom of off the separate living room area rather than the bedroom for extra privacy and so as not to disturb the other person if you have to get up. Although we didn't walk anywhere from the inn (sub-zero temps with the wind!), it's a very easy walking distance to the Brick Market shopping area as well as the waterfront shopping/dining area. The continental breakfast (included) was a couple notches above your standard continental breakfast with fresh berries, hot oatmeal & yogurt with a multitude of toppings to choose from, as well as cold cereals, fresh-squeezed juices, toast, bagels, etc.and a cappacino machine. And the little dish of raisinettes at turn-down was a nice touch too! Another big plus is that this inn has a small underground parking garage at no extra charge. Parking in Newport on narrow one-way streets is definitely a challenge, even in the winter. A previous reviewer said it best: "the charm of a bed & breakfast with the quality and luxury of a hotel." I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank beachperson55
Reviewed 25 January 2013

The Mill Street Inn is a wonderful choice for a hotel for those looking for a romatic getaway to Newport! My husband and I loved the location; it's close enough to the main stretch to walk even in the cold of January. The staff was wonderful! Always pleasnt and welling to help. We loved the candies and new letter they left for us each night. The rasinets were greatly appreciated. PLUS the hotel upgraded us for free since we were there on the off season! The suite was fantastic! I wish we had a fireplace in our bedroom like that. The only downside was my hubby and I weren't a huge fan of the duvet cover on the bed, but then again we are used to a temperpedic. It defintely wasn't too bad. Overall a great place to stay when it's just the two of you.

Room Tip: Travel to Newport in the off season.
1  Thank Jackie B
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel about a week ago and the stay couldn't have gone any better. Upon checking in I was informed of a Free Upgrade and was placed in a Townhouse. The front desk agents were extremely accommodating, and very helpful. They gave great recommendations, on where to eat and what to do, which kept us pretty busy throughout our stay. The location of the hotel is great, and their breakfast was among the best continental ones I have every had! Very healthy, with a large selection. My favorite thing about the stay was the bed, I usually have trouble going to sleep, but I laid on the bed and was asleep in a matter of minutes. Lastly, I had the pleasure of speaking with both the front desk manager and the general manger and they were both lovely to talk to. I think I have found my favorite hotel in Newport. I will definitely be coming back soon!

Reviewed 5 January 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel on New Years Eve and was given an automatic room upgrade. The hotel staff takes extra care to ensure that you enjoy your stay. Some of the things the hotel staff did was provide an afternoon tea upon check in, bringing cupcakes to your room, and leaving you with fresh fruit and bottle waters in your room. The hotel staff always greets you upon your arrival and is ready to assist you if needed.

The quality of the room is great. Even with Cathedral ceilings and exposed brick walls in the rooms it is very warm. The beds are extremely comfortable with many pillows and a pillowtop mattress. The bathrooms are very clean and the showers have a shower head on each side, as well as quality Aveda products for use.

The location is ideal for travel to Newport because it is within walking distance to both Bellevue Avenue and downtown.

The continental breakfast is very well put together. Guests can make their own coffee or espresso style drinks with an easy to use Nespresso machine. They provide fresh squeezed orange and grapefruit juice, a variety of cold cereals, oatmeal, bread and bagels, and many different healthy options to enhance your breakfast such as almonds, flaxseeds, dried fruit.

I have stayed at many different locations in Newport as it is one of my favorite local destinations. This hotel has the charm of a bed and breakfast with the quality and luxury of a hotel.

Room Tip: It is all suites
Reviewed 21 December 2012

This Inn is within close walking distance of the harbor area and fairly close to a few of the Mansions. I loved the location. I had a suite with a bedroom upstairs, which I loved because there was so much light coming in through the patio door. The bathroom was very up-to-date and the bed extremely comfortable. I though the living room area was a little tired and on the dark side, but because this was a converted warehouse, it made some sense. The people at the front desk were all very nice and very helpful, another aspect I appreciated very much. I would love to return to Newport some day, and would definitely considering staying at the property again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 December 2012

It's an interesting choice, really. It's not the typical Old Captian's House converted into a B & B. It's not waterfront. And it's not supremely upscale. I have stayed on the waterfront, and in the B & B's, and Mill St is my favorite choice in Newport.

I'm not sure why, though it feels like home, after having stayed there 4 or 5 times already. It's different. It's a converted Mill, and has exposed brick walls. Not exactly screaming "Newport" charm, but I like it.

The location is great- a two minute walk to the waterfront, yet away from all noise. Covered parking. A choice of room styles- ranch, or townhouse. I prefer the townhouse as I enjoy the deck. A waterview is a must when booking a townhouse; the lights on the bridge and harbor night are nice.

If you go in the offseason it's a bonus, as they offer some great deals and no nightly restrictions.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple