“One of my favorite hotel stays!”
Review of Mill Street Inn

Mill Street Inn
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Newport
New York City, New York
“One of my favorite hotel stays!”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I took the opportunity to spend 1 night here on my way to Martha’s Vineyard as I love Newport & was so happy that I chose the Mill Street Inn. It was possibly my favorite hotel room ever – a well-designed duplex that was so cozy & welcoming with an adorable balcony. The beds are so soft & comfy too.

Dog friendly! They deliver dog kits to your room with comfy beds, treats, etc. & there was no trace of another dog staying in the room beforehand or of an inferior room type.

Before checking out, we thought we would grab a quick bagel from the breakfast buffet…only to discover one of the best breakfast buffets, which added an extra hour onto our morning! Breakfast is served in a beautiful setting on the roof & includes quality bagels w/lox, premium coffee, greek yogurt, etc.

All in all, a fantastic value & experience. On my next trip to Newport, I will undoubtedly stay here.

Room Tip: Not all rooms are accessible by elevator, so this may be a problem if you have difficulty with stair...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My husband and I spent our first wedding anniversary weekend at the Mill Street Inn in early December. The staff are wonderful, the location is fantastic, and the rooms are comfortable. We appreciated the front desk staff's pleasant demeanor, professionalism, and willingness to help. The little things - bottled water, fresh oranges, a dish of chocolate covered raisins, and welcome notes - really helped set the Mil Street Inn apart from others. When we checked in, for example, and were asked what brought us to Newport, we were happily surprised that they would deliver a bottle of red wine and two glasses to our room to help us celebrate our anniversary (it even came with a hand written note!). And though we didn't take advantage of it, we heard about the fantastic breakfast spread available in the morning.

Two things to note: 1 - while parking is free, there is not a ton of off-street parking. You can park on the street with the parking pass the Inn gives you, but be sure to take notice of the parking signs on the street. 2 - We stayed on the first floor facing Mill Street, and could hear our upstairs neighbors talking (though somewhat muffled) and walking around in their room. I imagine this has to do with the age of the building... If you're worried about overhead noise, you might ask for a room on the second floor.

Overall, a wonderful stay. We will most certainly be back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank awesty12
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My wife and I and our two children stayed at the Mill Street Inn over the Thanksgiving Holiday. THe Inn is in a great location within walking distance to almost everything. You can even walk to the mansions if you are a little more adventurous. The room was very nice and had two separate rooms which was great for our family. There is turn down service at night with notes left for the family. We will be back over the Fourth of July Holiday to experience Newport in the warm weather. Easily had the most comfortable bed I have EVER slept in.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Niantic, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Last week, after having read TripAdvisor reviews, we spent two nights at the Mill Street Inn.What we found here truly exceeded our expectations and provided us with a primer on the ABCs of hospitality:
A: Amiable staff, who went out of their way to be friendly and helpful; ;
B: Bountiful breakfasts, offering a wide range of options from fresh fruits,yogurt, bagels and lox,
to a variety of cereals. Did we forget to mention the delicious coffee?
C: Comfortable rooms, featuring down bedding, luxurious towels and spacious shower.

We definitely recommend this oasis to our family and friends and look forward to seeing more of Newport while staying at this most convenient and welcoming inn.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I made a last minute reservation for a night at Mill Street Inn and my only regret is that I didn't get to spend more time there. The location is fantastic and the free off street parking is great. This is my favorite type of hotel - small with great attention to detail. The rooms were well appointed with nice little touches. The bed was very comfortable. They offer a great breakfast option included in the price of your room. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful with my needs.

I highly recommend the Mill Street Inn, and I hope to stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The Mill Street Inn provides a convenient location to the Newport waterfront, Washington Square, and Bellevue Avenue. All are within comfortable walking distance. The Inn provides off street parking which is a plus in the area. Rooms are compact and spartan, but contain all the amenities for your comfort. We stayed in a townhouse suite which featured a gas fireplace and rooftop balcony. A very substantial buffet breakfast is served each morning, and refreshments are provided in the afternoon. Staff are helpful and courteous. We were celebrating a birthday, and were given a complimentary bottle of wine to enjoy. Rates are very reasonable for the quality of lodging. This is a great place to consider when planning a visit to Newport.

Room Tip: Consider upgrading to one of the suites.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My stay at the Mill St. Inn was amazing! The inn is beautifully decorated. The exposed brick and vaulted ceilings were incredibly charming. The bed was incredibly comfortable and I was blown away by the friendly staff, turn down service and yummy breakfast! It is in a perfect location and within easy walking distance to the waterfront, shopping and dining and the charming historic area of Newport. I hope to return soon!