“Comfortable, cozy, charming!”
Review of Mill Street Inn

Mill Street Inn
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 31 January 2010

We stayed 2 nights in the Mill Street Inn's Townhouse Suites, and couldn't have had a nicer experience. The manager and staff were friendly and always available to help with local information, dinner reservations and anything else we needed. The suite itself was beautiful, from the old brick walls and exposed beams to the very modern pillow-top mattress on the bed and rainfall style showerhead. Being January, it was too cold to use the balcony outside the bedroom, but the view of the harbor and bridge was spectacular! The Inn is just a block away from a great shopping area and some very nice restaurants, and only a mile or two away from the Mansions. Overall we had a very nice stay, and I will definitely be telling friends about this wonderful Inn!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank EmerraldEyes

Reviewed 26 January 2010

The Mill St. Inn - What a wonderful place! We only stayed one night but we all (8 couples) wish we could have stayed longer. The King Suites were very nice and clean. The view from the top deck was totally New England at it's best.

Can't wait to go back!

Siren thanks for everything!

See you next yr. when we book all 23 rooms!

MR T. RI

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed 31 December 2009

STAY DETAILS
December 27-29, 2009
Townhouse suite with continental breakfast
Price: $89/night promotional rate at MillStreetInn.com

I highly recommend this inn for the location, comfortable bed and very friendly staff. The inn was nicer than many of the Hyatt’s, Marriott’s, or Sheraton’s we’ve stayed at.

We got the holiday season special. The rate was for a junior suite (the smallest suite at the all-suite Mill Street Inn). But when we checked in, we were upgraded to one of their biggest suites, a Townhouse suite!

LOCATION
The location is great. It is in downtown Newport and just a block and a half off Thames St. Being able to park our car at the inn’s parking lot and walk to places is a huge plus in Newport.

PREMISES
The Mill Street Inn is a historic hotel and you do see its historic charm outside. But when you get in, you are greeted with modern decor and amenities. In addition, the inn smelled great. The lobby was small, but adequate for the number of rooms and guests it can accommodate.

There were 3 floors and basement. The entrance to rooms were in the 1st and 2nd floors. The 2nd level of the townhouse suites occupied the 3rd floor of the inn. The basement had a room where they served breakfast during the colder months. The ice machine was also located in the basement. During warmer months, they served breakfast at the rooftop patio with a view of the river and bridge.

STAFF
The staff were very friendly, from the front desk to housekeeping to the breakfast room. Douglas was our favorite. Housekeeping did a good job with tidying up our room. They didn’t take our used bath towels, but they gave us new ones.

ROOM
We stayed at one of the townhouse suites (Room 212) that was at the very end of the hallway on the 2nd floor. The townhouse suite had 2 levels. The first level was the living area with a sofa bed, coffee table, long desk, chairs, LCD HDTV, and wet bar. It had track lighting and it didn’t make the room a lot brighter. The room indeed felt cozy. However, you can hear people in the hallway. Thankfully you can't hear them in the bedroom.

The 2nd level is the bedroom and had a very comfortable king bed, LCD HDTV, DVD player, alarm clock & radio, and bathrobes. There were only 2 lamps by the bed and 1 lamp by the TV, making the bedroom a little dark in the evening. The bathroom was on the 2nd floor, so this defeats the privacy of the bedroom a little bit if you have guests sleeping downstairs.

There was a private deck on the 2nd floor with a view of the river and bridge, and the inn’s rooftop patio.

The carpet had some stains, but I wasn’t surprised with the beige carpet color. It’s pretty hard to prevent a few stains on a light-colored carpet when you get plenty of people walking around.

The wet bar had soda, sparkling water, beer, and water. Believe it or not, the prices were pretty reasonable compared to other popular hotels. The Poland Spring 700ml sport top bottle was $2. However, the drain of the sink was rusty and the stopper was missing.

The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The bed was topped with feather bed and covered with down comforter. I love the huge faux leather headboard. It made it comfortable to sit up and read or watch TV. I didn’t like that the phone in the bedroom was by the TV instead of the bed. The long decorative pillow had a couple of small stains on it.

The bathroom only had a shower, no tub. But it was really nice with marble vanities and beautiful fixtures. The vanity space is tiny though. There also was a weighing scale. The bathroom is well stocked with plush bath, hand, and face towels (2 of each), Aveda products (shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, lotion, and soap), vanity kit, and shower cap.

I saw an air conditioner which we didn’t use because it was winter. I did see a thermostat, but it was old and I didn’t want to touch it for fear of messing up the temperature.

AMENITIES
Internet
There was free wireless internet access in the room and the signal wasn’t that great, but the speed was still pretty good for browsing, emails, etc. It was an unsecured network.

Breakfast
There weren’t a lot of food offered at the free continental breakfast. There were cereals, bread, rolls, yogurt, fruits, coffee, tea, orange juice, and water. What I love about the breakfast was that there were a lot of toppings available for your cereal including fresh fruits, raisins, cinnamon, nuts, dried bananas and cranberries, etc. There were also a variety of great spreads (some organic) for your bread.

Parking
Parking is very important since parking is either very hard to find or expensive in downtown Newport. So this is a big plus with Mill Street Inn. However, the parking lot and garage can accommodate only about 18 cars. Be careful going into the garage if your car is low as the ground might hit the underside of your car. The lot can be very steep.

Newspaper
The free daily newspaper (USA Today and a local newspaper) is not delivered to your room door. You have to get your copy at the front desk.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aylee
Reviewed 17 December 2009

My friends and I decided to meet up in Newport to tour the Mansions all decorated for Christmas. The hotel is very modern, but it is the historical district and it has a wonderful charm about it. The staff was very accommodating and the place was spotless. We stayed in a two floor suite with a great sitting room on the bottom and the upstairs was a large bedroom with a porch overlooking the harbor. The bed was extremely comfortable and even the bathrooms were in great shape and the shower heads were awesome, I want to install them in my own shower! In the mornings they have a continental breakfast with fresh fruits, yogurts, nuts and more.

I was there for fun, but the downstairs is set up for business as well! I just wanted to write a review because my friends and I just had such a great experience and I would recommend the Mill Street Inn to everyone.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 December 2009

My friends and I stayed at the Mill Street Inn this past weekend. I can not say more about the staff, the hospitality that they showed us from the time that we checked in to the check out was awseome! The rooms were very clean , the front desk people accomodating and helped us find our way around, helping us choose where to go and what certain places to go. I would reccomend this Inn to all.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2009

If you're looking for a small luxury hotel, as this place bills itself, the Mill Street Inn is so far off the mark it's laughable. From the moment my wife and walked in the promise of the beautiful exterior and surroundings evaporated. The lone attendeant at the front desk was did not appear in the mood to be bothered. He was sullen, disheveled -- what you might gladly accept at a cheap motel on the bad side of an ugly city, not here in Newport! My wife and I even joked as we trudged off to our room that whoever got the short stick will have to risk asking him for dinner recommendations. He just did not want to be bothered and didn't attempt hiding it.

The room, like the rest of our experience at the hotel, held so much promise but dissapointed badly. The decor and funishings is most definitely the low end of Ikea -- something you would expect at a really nice youth hostel or dormitory room. Take a look at surfaces near the TV and you'd see a thick coating of dust. The walls are unforgivably thin -- this fact was especially bothersome as we had to listen to loud rythmic creaking of a bed and moaning from some other nearby room, despite turning up the television to drown out the sounds.

Saturday morning and housekeeping doesn't turn up, meaning that the room remained exactly the way we left it -- with towels we needed changed still on the bathroom floor. We asked the slightly nicer front desk attendant for new towels at the very least, left for the day, returned to find that he aparently forgot as no new towels had been delivered and the old ones remained on the floor.

I am not as annoyed as I was at the time so I write this with less criticism as I had intended. What still annoys me, though, is that this place has a page in the Small Luxury Hotels book, a book I had trusted in years past. No more.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FrankCapeCod_MA
Reviewed 5 November 2009

The Mill Street Inn had more comforts than home! It was an absolutly fantastic hotel. It was extremely clean and comfortable! We had the townhouse suite and it was fabulous! Very spacious and "homey" with incredible views! The bed was like sleeping on a cloud, and the bathroom besides its cleanliness was spacious and spa like. It was simple but elegant. Everyone at the Inn from the maids to the management were helpful and friendly. I would highly recommend The Mill Street Inn to everyone who visits Newport!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple