“Did not meet expectations”
Review of Mill Street Inn

Mill Street Inn
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Mill Street charges a luxury price but delivers nothing more than modest value.

This inn, although pleasant, had a couple of issues. First they advertise "water views" and they do - if you consider looking over 3 blocks of rooftops to see the harbor as a true water view. They were technically correct, but not totally honest about these views - especially since we payed more to have one of their vaunted "water views".

Second, they appeared understaffed, particularly when it came to preparing the continental breakfast.

My suggestion would be to spend a little more money and get much more value by staying at one of the true luxury inns or hotels in town.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cpmted

Reviewed 24 June 2010

This is the 2nd time in 2 months that I stayed at Mill Street Inn. The first was in May with my husband and another couple. The staff (Siren) and the hotel won me over. Right upon checkout I booked again for my birthday weekend with my friends. I love the size of the inn, its small in overall size but big in extras and staff. The rooms are a nice size, beds are so so comfortable, believe me if it wasn't a sunny beach day I would have happily stayed in bed! Outstanding service, a big welcome upon my return just like I was an old friend. Staff is friendly and responsive. We needed extra chairs for our patio and we had them within 10 minutes. We needed beach towels, they had them. The breakfast is far beyond the normal offering at a hotel. Every add-on you can imagine for the steal-cut oatmeal that was made each morning, cereal, coffee, many options of jams and they even had almond butter. The roof deck was amazing we watched a beautiful sunset, had our own cheese and wine party and relaxed. Location couldn't be better an easy walk to the water, shops, bars and restaurants. I look forward to staying many more times this summer and fall. It's a great find...comfortable, clean funky place to stay, friendly, welcoming staff... a perfect find!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Birthdaygirl0619
Reviewed 15 June 2010

With hospitality experience I am first and foremost a critic and then a guest. Expectations differ greatly within these two categories, so I would like to provide a review from both a professional and personal stand point.
Upon arrival I was not prepared for The Mill Street Inns historical beauty. Charming, distinguished and timeless I had to catch my breath for it was more than I could have imagined. As I opened the door to the main entrance I was taken by the atrium, classy and welcoming I was eager to check in and relax.
Another couple were checking in ahead of us which gave me the opportunity to glance around. I was surrounded by elegance. No detail was left untouched from the color scheme to the delicate Orchid plants creating a peaceful environment. The gentleman who checked us in was friendly and knowledgeable not only with hotel information but also the area. We were handed a key for our room, not the plastic cards that slide an actual key. It was nice not to feel as if we were in a factory "check them in and check them out" it was more personal and intimate. The room rate was affordable. The location is ideal only a few mintues walk from the water, activities and dining. I like the idea of not having to drive a lot of places to see and do things.
Entering our room I wasn't sure what to expect. So far Mill Street met the standards of a few things on my professional list. Atomosphere, check in speed, accuracy and the exchanging of pleasantries. My routine is to scan over each room and then begin my almost crime scene type investigation in the bathroom. With a flip of the light I was transported to a private spa featuring crisp rolled towels, a stand up shower and Aveda products, every womans dream. It was immaculate.
After diving into the rest of our suite, I discovered the most wonderful place I had ever stayed. Clean, tidy, and spotless everything from the linens to the refrigerator. Two robes were hanging in the closet of the bedroom, a nice touch giving you the sense of guest of honor. The bed was how I envision heaven, soft like a cloud, pillows forming all around you. Our room had a deck that was perfect for fresh air and clarity. This was the most perfect getaway.
I was surprised at the variety for breakfast. Delicious fresh coffee, juices, fruits, cereals and breads amongst many other things. I am a paticular fan of the framed old photos displayed in this area. One can appreciate the value in the buildings history, its like a story being told on the wall.
The reason I am sharing all of this is because it is all to often that we hear about a negative experience. I wanted to speak of a great and memorable one. I came here with my Fiancé to spend some time alone together another rarity in everyones busy fast paced lives.
So come to Newport for its beauty, scenic drives, food, shopping or a mansion tour. Stay at the Mill Street Inn for the complete package whether it be spring, summer, fall or winter. It is a secret treasure and I promise the view from the roof is unforgettable making it a perfect spot in creating a lasting memory.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pink812
Reviewed 10 June 2010

Had to laugh when i was finally able to get into my room (key wouldn't work and the lock on the door was broken) and saw that the book of small luxury hotels on the coffee table in my townhouse suite. Small it is but luxury it is still aspiring to. Having read the reviews on line my expectations were low and i was not disappointed. The staff though cordial was obviously overworked and the hotel was understaffed. I did not drive in so my parking space went unused however the hotel doesn't pay to have the shuttle service from the airport drop off at their door. So i had to schlep my rather large suitcase several blocks from another hotel down the cobblestone streets of Newport. The room itself was ok. Exposed beams were interesting but the drywall work was shoddy. The bathroom was my favorite in that it was clean and modern with aveda products. Strange though that the towels were just plopped on the counter and only a few sheets of tp were left on the roll when i checked in. The bed was extremely comfortable though there were stains on the sheets, a torn section, and random hairs that i couldn't possibly have left. The deck was tiny and awkward as the skylights filled up most of the space. The view of the sun setting though was quite nice. Free internet was a bonus. The room was dirty and stains were abundant. A fan in the bathroom would randomly come on and not shut off. Staff couldn't explain the phenomenon.
Not a terrible experience but not one that is memorable for any positive reasons.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank WorkTraveler27
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Staff is informative and friendly. Love the roof deck. Great location. Looking forward to a return trip.

1  Thank shawnfoxtarczali
Reviewed 21 April 2010

The wonderful spring weather during our stay really helped us get in the mood and fully engage ourselves in having a much needed relaxing stay @ the Mill street Inn. I had read reviews prior to staying there and from each one, I could agree with something. If you are looking for a "hotel" atmosphere this is not the place. This is more like a B and B and it has a very cozy feel (almost like you are visiting someone's home). My wife and I are not very picky so we were patient as we were checking in. The young man @ the front desk was very busy getting everyone checked in and he was very nice. We brought our stuff to our townhouse and we loved it. I must admit, based on previous reviews, I did do a "glove test" and did notice some areas that are never dusted. Mainly on top of the doorframes, the ceiling fans, and a top the heater coming up the steps. Again, not a make or break situation but house keeping should me more thorough. Our off-season rate was very reasonable and we enjoyed our stay. Bed was comfy, bathroom was very nice and the little patio facing the downtown area and bay was great. We could not say enough about how amazing the breakfast selection was!! We are not bacon and egg people. The good coffee (Starbucks) fresh bread, selection of fruits , and unique spreads together made for an amzing breadfast. Very european style breakfast. We had a great time and I liked our place. Location is perfect and please, bring your workout gear, get up early, and walk the Cliff Walk with your coffee!!! We had a great time.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TednLo
Reviewed 13 February 2010

Stayed one night in this lovely Inn. The staff was friendly and helpful and the room was oh so comfy. Totally renovated and clean. Our room had a beautiful view of the water and the sunset was spectacular. I would definitely recommend a stay at this hotel/inn. And since we were there in the winter, we got a great rate.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business