“Small Luxury Hotels of the World™ at a great price with service to match”
Review of Mill Street Inn

Mill Street Inn
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Newport
England
“Small Luxury Hotels of the World™ at a great price with service to match”
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Just stayed for one night with my wife and brother/sister in law (Oct 5th 2010). Originally we were just the two of us, but as my brother and his wife decided to join us on our "New England in the Fall" holiday it resulted in small changes here and there to our plans. The Mill Street Inn confirmed that there would be no additional person charges to our reservation that included a pull down sofa bed in the room. It really is a nice place to stay in Newport and have no hesitation in recommending this Inn. Given that it is listed as one of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World™ - it is remarkably priced in an excellent location (with a more than adequate breakfast included). As a footnote – by mistake, we were subsequently charged the extra occupancy at check-out. An email on my return home has resolved this immediately, with an apology as well for the error..............now that’s what I call service.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
dublin, ireland
Reviewed 12 October 2010

To me a luxury hotel would be a Taj or Four Seasons, or a small boutique hotel offering world class service and amenities. Mill Street Inn is a nice, small hotel but it is not luxury, just in case anyone thinks they will be living the high life in Newport.

The location is excellent, a short stroll to Thames Street and the wharf area and the free parking is a bonus. The deluxe suite we stayed in was spacious with a seperate bedroom. The bathroom was modern with a strong, hot shower. There was a TV in the bedroom which we had to move into the living area for everyone to view.

The suite contained a fridge and a small sink but no tea or coffee facilities which was a little odd. No bottle opener or utensils either.

The continental breakfast included in the rate was excellent.. a huge range of cereals and fresh berries as well as fruit, juices, breads, tea & coffee with a choice milk & skim milk.

We couldn't get the wifi to work in the room, reception were also having problems and we were never able to get access in the short period of time we stayed.

While I didn't think the rate at Mill Street Inn was a bargain by any means, the parking and breakfast were an advantage as well as the location. There are no lifts in this hotel so if you are unable to climb stairs you will need to request ground floor.

If the rate is suitable I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank banbh
USA
Reviewed 9 October 2010

This hotel is perfectly located for vacationing with kids. The main shopping / tourist area is only a couple of blocks away. The hotel was clean and well kept. The hotel has free parking which is nice since Newport has such limited parking options. We'll certainly stay here again on any future trips.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 October 2010

As I said, overall, it was a great stay. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Siren Brandon in particular was a delight! The rooms and hotel are very clean. The bed was also very comfortable. The free breakfast and afternoon tea was also nice. The size of the rooms are good as well. I only had a few problems with this place. First, the small garbage cans were not very practical. Also, there isn't a lot of storage or bathroom counter space. Finally, if they want to maintain luxury status they should consider updating the "kitchen" area that had the mini fridge and sink. The cabinets looked as if they were worn and dated.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 September 2010

This Mill Street Inn had the coziness of an inn with the service of luxury hotel. The rooms were modern, yet warm. The staff was so attentive. Both Justin and Siren made wonderful recommendations for dining and attractions. The location was just perfect- everything was a short walk away, yet it was quiet and peaceful. I travel a lot and look for the SLH members. I wasn't a bit surprised to find out that they were part of the Small Luxury Hotel group. The experience definitely met all of my expectations.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Maplewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 September 2010

I've seen some less than complementary reviews of the Mill Street Inn and I'm dumfounded. We found it to be perfectly acceptable, decent lodging. Is it super duper luxurious - no. Is it hip / trendy - no. But our duplex suite was clean, and cute. Loved the outside balcony / deck. It's location can't be beat, close enough to be walkable to all the attractions, but nice and quiet at night when you want to sleep. If I have any complaint, it's that our particular room had a spiral staircase between the two floors. We saw other duplex rooms that had a normal staircase connecting downstairs from upstairs. The spiral staircase was a bit of a pain, but since we're able bodied, we managed just fine. I could see this room being an issue for those who are less mobile or strong. My spouse and I are not prima donnas, I don't have any issue with not being helped to the room with our bags, we usually decline anyhow. I found the front desk staff to be friendly and nice, I imagine they would have helped if we asked. I love old buildings like the Mill Street Inn that have character and some sense of history. If you want a traditional hotel and to be waited on hand and foot, go to one of the boring, name brand chain hotels in town!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 10 September 2010

I stayed here for Labor Day weekend with my husband and 4 month old son and I have to tell you we were less than impressed. First of all it was a big effort for the guy on the front desk to assist us with our bags which had to be lugged up two flights of stairs as there is no elevator in the place. Once we got to the room and opened the door, the first thing I noticed were gross stains all over the carpet. The furniture is cheap and really uncomfortable and to say the least, shabby. There are no amenities in the hotel, actually I have trouble understanding how it is even called a Hotel, it is at most a Hostel!!! There are no facilities here, my husband could not even get a cork screw at the front desk!!! The standard of finishes in the room were below par. The "Healthy Snacks" in the room were expired ..... once packet of potato chips had expired a year ago!!!! When we were checking out I was asked what my experience had been like and I told the girl that I was less than impressed. She wasn't too concerned and if anything had an attitude with me and said that it was the end of their busy season and that little things like carpet stains and shabby furniture were to be expected!!!!! That said it all for me. They charge pretty hefty prices for the accomadations and my advice is "Don't Waste Your Money!!!!!" Bottom line is we were ripped off.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family