“Excellent, if you take the guided tour”

Fort Adams State Park
US$26.00*
Newport Harbor Cruise Tour
Ranked #10 of 117 things to do in Newport
More attraction details
Owner description: This venue of the Newport folk and jazz festivals is a stone citadel.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I've been to Fort Adams before, and yes, it's a lovely location. But this time, I took the guided tour. Wow! If you want to see the bay from up on the fort's ramparts and get a chance to go thru underground tunnels, as well as learn a lot about living conditions and all the tricky ways they would have defended themselves if the enemy stormed the fortress, this is the way to go. I was very impressed with our guide, who was both knowledgeable and interesting. The tour includes areas off limits to other visitors, and that added so much to my experience--It was worth every penny. (One final note--This is a walking tour which requires climbing stairs and walking on uneven surfaces.)

There are newer reviews for Fort Adams State Park

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Fort Adams is well worth the time to visit, even without taking a tour. It is situated on such a lovely prominent point with incredible bay and ocean views. Rhode Island is so often overlooked but has such an interesting and compelling history during the revolutionary war days, and a visit to Fort Adams is a great way to experience history.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

My husband and I did not take the tour since it was such a beautiful day to be outdoors. We chose to walk outside and check out the boats and the sights on the water. We followed along the road in the back and climbed down to the beach area since a local we met at Easton Beach told us it was a great place to find "beach glass". We did find some by digging with a shell, in fact I found a white piece that was in the shape of small heart; very appropriate since we quickly came to love Newport and the surrounding area of Middletown. Such a unique place, so relaxing. There is a grassy area to have a picnic or just sit and relax. Maybe someday we will go back for the Jazz festival which is held here and also take the historic tour. So much to do in Newport.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

A good vantage point to the bay with all the different types marine craft and to watch all the activities

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

My son and I did the 'Storm the Fort' tour. It was so much fun and provided so much history! I loved the perspective of viewing the fort for the first time, just like an attacker would. You can really experience and understand why the fort was built and designed the way that it was. Absolutely fascinating. I would definitely recommend this special tour.

1  Thank bazingo99 .