“Spectacular”
Review of Forty 1⁰ North

Forty 1⁰ North
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 5 June 2011

The hotel and marina complex is understated elegance and charm at the highest level. The owners have spared no expense and demonstrate unique taste in every element of the design and furnishings.
The staff were friendly and professional and certainly, ask Mark to take you out on the hotel speed boat for a cruise around the waterfront mansions.
A stylish and elegant boutique hotel for those who desire something special and are prepared to pay for the privilege.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 May 2011

I reserved the West Loft for a Saturday night to celebrate my husbands birthday. From the website and other reviews I knew this room was not attached to the hotel but over Christie's restaurant/night club. I expected it to be first class and pristine - based on the price charged for the night (over $600).
We arrived and valet parked the car (which ended up to be in front of our room anyway) and checked in. Check in was quick and no problem. The female at the front desk walked us over to the loft and gave us a brief overview of the property. I was a bit disappointed with the room. They really have tried to make this an upscale environment but when you boil it down it's a 3rd floor apartment in an old building. The furnishings are comfortable and the technology devices available (Ipad, Wii, Ipod, etc...) are a nice touch. I didn't care for the bedroom as the walk around to my side of the bed hurt my neck and back (think 45 degree LOW pitched ceiling over half the room). The bathroom was small but still updated (a little bit of peeling paint on the wall though - noticeable). The kitchen was nice but watch out for the PRICEY snacks available in the fridge and cabinets. Look at the price list before taking anything!!!
My main complaint with the room was it was so warm. Knowing you have guests arriving on a hot and humid day and not putting on the AC prior to arrival made no sense to me. As soon as we got there we put both AC window units on full blast - which made conversing rather difficult as they were loud. The room never really cooled off though so sleeping was a little uncomfortable.
We had dinner at the Grill (separate review but also a mixed one). Also had drinks in the lounge and danced for a while downstairs. It was a great time. The main hotel and all attached to it are absolutely beautiful, I would want a room in the hotel if I were to stay here again.
I've read lots of complaints about noise but we didn't find it to be an issue - maybe because the AC units drowned out any outside noise.
Overall I thought the main hotel was stunning and the staff was courteous. I guess my main problem is the amount of money spent and the accommodations we ended up with. I wanted it to be special but it really wasn't.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lmcintyre
Reviewed 29 May 2011

From the moment we drove into the parking lot, valet, polite, friendly, responsible.
Check in was a breeze, very friendly.
Entering room was like walking into a movie, clean, modern, everything you can imagine, the view on the water was breathless, pictures came out beautiful.
While unpacking room service within 15 minutes for a cocktail and food, Tater tots for children.
Dining room has an oval bar, library with upscale pool table.
Dinner was amazing, great service, wines, oysters, mussels, etc.
Walk right out of hotel to shops on Thames Street a plus.
If your looking for somewhere to go where you don't have to do anything the hotel does it all for you Forty 1 North is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Just call and ask questions.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Stayed over Easter weekend with my husband and teen-age son. When we reserved one of the loft rooms, we did see the note that it was in the building above the Chrities restaurant and that there was 'live" entertainment some nights.

The loft was pretty spacious, but I would say that the square footage could be a little misleading as the ceilings are very low in the bedroom and part of the living area - not all is useful space.
The room did look like the pictures on the website, but the carpet was stained and the light colored sofa was dirty and worn. There were also several plants in the room that looked like they were dying from neglect. Overall feeling was that we were staying at a college student's apartment for the weekend. The bathroom was very small - nothing as luxurious as the pictures on the website. If you want a nice bathroom, you should book a room in the hotel.
So...what about the noise? well the loft rooms are on the third floor of the building and there are two open staircases that connect to the second floors (event rooms) and the first floor (Christies). The "live" music on weekends is a DJ and you can hear the music pretty well ...and the DJ announcing "last call". If you are a late night party person, the loft offers a lot of space for the money. During the day, you can also hear noise from events in the rooms on the 2nd floor.
On the plus side, it was a rainy weekend and we were able to grab a bite at Chrities without getting wet (both lunch and breakfast were very good). We enjoyed the use of the iPad in our room - used it to find shopping/restaurants in the area amd to play a little Angry Birds. Hotel location is very good, so we might come back again

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank KathyLMGA
Reviewed 15 May 2011

This is a small hotel, but filled with amenities. As others have stated, there are 28 rooms including the cottages. One cottage appeared to be on the side of the parking lot - not a desirable location. We were greeted at the front door where the staff takes your luggage and valet parks your vehicle: it is $25/night to park there and valet is a requirement here. The staff is very knowledgeable and friendly. Bill (dining room) was particularly fantastic. The bar staff goes out of their way to make you feel like you belong there.

Our room was very modern and attractive. There are plenty of drawers for clothes too. The bathroom has a very deep tub, but we just used the shower. The water pressure was fair - there are side jets in the shower also. The hot water seemed instantaneous. The climate control worked well - we used kept our room cool to keep the fan going as a white noise generator and overcome the outside noise. Our waterfront room did not have a balcony. A Samsung 40-inch tv (numerous HD stations on Cox cable) hangs over the fully-enclosed gas fireplace. Our fire did not get enough air, so there was just a blue gas flame (no yellow), and it didn't look like our home gas fire. That's alright since you cannot see the flame if you are in the bed. 41 supplies each room with an iPad, 1st generation. After using the iPad for 2 days, I can't imagine why anyone would want one - I far prefer a laptop. There are no newspapers supplied, some articles from USA Today and the NY Times are on the iPad; the iPad's Wall Street Journal application did not function. I did enjoy the free wifi on the iPad as we checked out Newport's places to go. There is a minibar and snacks available. Here are some prices: Sam Adams and other beers: $7. Grey Goose vodka, Patron tequila (silver), Johnny Walker red, Bacardi rum - all liquors were 375 ml bottles (that's 12.7 oz) and cost $104 each. Veuve Cliquot brut champagne (375 ml) was $180. Voss bottled water (27 oz) $8. Coke and Diet Coke (8 oz) $3.50 while Campbell's tomato juice (5.5 oz can) was $4.

The king-sized bed was very comfortable and had high quality linens. I'd like to have the room designer do over part of my house! Note paper is supplied with pencils rather than pens.

The main floor has a library with a billiard table. There's also the circular bar (very nice!) and 2 gas fireplaces - these are open so there is no air circulation problem, with flames that look as good as any. The Grill dining room is here too. Food is excellent, though portions are on the small side like the side order of sauteed spinach ($7) that was a half cup serving. Everything we ate was fantastic, breakfasts and dinners, fish and meat. We did stop by Christie's, their casual spot that's in a nearby building, but we didn't eat there. Christie's offers a few $5 martinis before 6pm; they seemed to be alcohol-free, but you get what you pay for.

There is a large bar outside on the harbor with lots of seating. There are numerous 4-person tables too.

Room Tip: At least get the premium waterfront room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DeerTicks
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Beautiful views no matter where you are sitting, every seat is the best seat in the house. I have never had a better meal. My family and I got something different from chicken fingers to Filet Mignon and to Salmon, they cater to every need of a family. The Chef has an unbelievable talent for the culinary arts, he is also very personable and loves to see how his guests are enjoying his master pieces. The staff was so nice and polite. Still a week later my whole family is talking about when are we going to go back!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I had a fantastic stay at the hotel. The hotel is extremely clean, modern and has a contemporary feel with a lot of hardwood and glass.

Location- perfect, on the water in the middle of Newport.

Room- large rooms, comfortable beds, with an iPad that has all of the hotel/local details. Fantastic & easy. Lovely fireplaces as well.

Bathroom- very nice, with a shower and a large soaking tub.

Parking- $25 seemed a bit unreasonable.

Staff- very helpful.

Food- the lunches at the restaurant were excellent.

Best for business & couples for long weekends. Probably not ideal for kids. Its also quite expensive, but its a fair value all considered.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business