“A Fabulous beautiful luxurious spectacular hotel with excellent service and friendly staff”
Review of Forty 1⁰ North

Forty 1⁰ North
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I've stayed at 41 a number of times over the years and my experience gets better and better. The rooms are fabulous and the staff could not be friendlier. The fireplaces in the rooms are wonderful in cool weather but I really enjoy cocktails in the library and breakfast on the deck.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank SMALLGIRL1
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear SMALLGIRL1,

What a wonderful review! I'm not even sure how to reply other than to say- on behalf of the entire team- thank you, thank you, thank you!

Please let me know the next time you are here, I would really like to meet you in person. I may be reached at psauceda@41north.com.

With heartfelt thanks,

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We came to Forty 1 North in March to celebrate a milestone birthday, and were immediately impressed by the valets. The decor inside was amazing, very city chic, ambient lighting, shiny accents, soft colors, and amazing water views. Check in was seamless, the young lady at the desk walked me up to our room, which was a Premium Water View room. The space was beautifully decorated, the only complaints I have on the room is someone at some point had burned three holes in the rug in front of the fireplace, which as it being a high end hotel should've been replaced or repaired; the lighting in the bathroom was too soft for makeup application, had to do it in the bedroom in front of the window, as all the lighting was fixed at a "soft" level. The chairs in the space were very uncomfortable, so it made sitting in front of the fireplace a non event... on the up side, the bed and bedding were so comfortable you just floated into dreamland, unfortunately, on the second night of our stay, there was a party downstairs, and the music was very loud, and drifted up to our third floor room. But the bed was comfortable enough that it wasn't enough to keep us awake! We ate dinner at the Grill twice, and breakfast as well. Dinner was a bit of a disappointment, my husband ordered a NY strip steak which when it came was very thin, and the chef had a too heavy hand with the salt on the steak. Breakfast was a hit, their eggs lobster Benedict was by far the best I have ever had, eggs were cooked perfectly, the lobster was tender, and the filet was so tender I could cut it with a fork! Coffee was wonderful, too, and never did we had to ask for refills of either water or coffee. Desserts were pretty amazing, just the right end to our meal...as far as the staff goes, all of the staff from the valets, check in clerks, wait staff, and the maids who cleaned our rooms daily were all extremely polite, accommodating, helpful, and attentive. I never got to meet the man who helped me with my reservation, but Scott was by far a huge help and a huge asset to the facility. All in all I would recommend this hotel, (already have) to friends, and am looking forward to another visit, hopefully this summer!

Room Tip: I would try for a suite the next time, as the chairs look comfortable, not the same as the chairs in...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Cleo810,

Thank you very much for your positive review. It's always music to our ears when we receive such nice compliments of our staff. And it really means a lot to us when we get to read our names in a good TripAdvisor review.

While I'm glad your breakfasts were enjoyable, I am truly sorry that your steak was not up to snuff. We have already shared your comments with the chef to make sure we don't disappoint someone in the future with the same issue.

Thank you again, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Even in winter, there was so much to love!
Forty 1 North is so perfectly located downtown that we would be hard-pressed to stay anyplace else. Not only was the view just breathtaking, but we were able to walk to everything, except the mansions. If it was not February, we may have ventured. We are foodies and were thrilled to be in the thick of so many restaurants and specialty shops.
We did dine twice in the hotel at The Grill; once for breakfast and the other for lunch. The service was friendly and relaxed and the food was quite delicious. Drinks at the lobby bar were a nice way to spend some extra time before late reservations, as the atmosphere is upscale with beautiful ambient lighting and great tunes.
There is valet parking for the hotel in the lot just out front, but keep in mind there is a $25 charge, per night, even during the off season. While the valets, themselves, were probably the most friendly and welcoming of all the staff, I'm not sure I'd choose to park there next time unless it was peak season. All the guys on rotation really connect you to the place, both leaving and arriving each day..nice little asset.
The BED! Oh that bed! It was difficult to get out of it each morning! We slept in...we had to!
We reluctantly awoke only to saunter to the SHOWER...which aside from the view and the bed, was another little luxury of our room.
Upon checkout, there was a slight issue with how we were billed, but the manager quickly swooped in and handled it, even offering to personally assist us with our room if we were to return in the future. That might have been the clincher, because I'm already planning another visit...
With all of that said, and after reading other reviews, I can see how noise might be a factor for guests in the summertime. The rooms are situated above what looks like would be a pretty amazing outdoor gathering place, bar, restaurant during warmer months, and the music is piped outside to speakers from about 11 am until late night. Additionally, our room, 6, was at the top of the stairs leading to the lobby and lounge, and across from the elevator. While we did not experience any intolerable issues with noise in the off season, I would consider both a higher floor and a room located more towards the back of the hotel next time.
It seems like the grand unveiling of all things Newport occurs in March...so I know where we'll be heading in April!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Loria1070,

Thank you so much! We are so glad that you enjoyed yourself so much.

I will be sure to let our Guest Services Manager, Scott, know that you appreciated his speedy assistance, and will be sure to share your compliments with our valet crew. It'll make their day.

We can't wait to see you back in April.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Forty 1 North is an exquisite hotel! From the time you drive up to the property and the valet opens your car door until the time you leave you will receive excellent quality service. The staff is friendly, professional and courteous!

The décor in the lobby, lounge area and "The Grill Restaurant" are very open and sheik. The food at The Grill is very good. We ate diner in the restaurant one night and breakfast both mornings. The weekend package we had included breakfast and we were able to order anything off of the menu. I had steak and eggs that were outstanding!

Our room was beautiful...I loved our accommodations! The bathroom was huge! I loved the toiletry products all except the bar soap. I am very sensitive to smells and I found the bar soap to be a little overpowering. (I can't believe I'm even mentioning this...lol)

When we came back to our room on Saturday night we were pleasantly surprised by a complimentary cheese tray, bottle of wine and a hand written note congratulating us on our anniversary. Nice touch.....

This was one of the best getaway weekends my husband and I have had! We would definitely recommend this hotel and are looking forward to coming back!

Room Tip: All the rooms at Forty 1 North are excellent!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Gigs2007,

Thank you for your amazing review; I am so happy that we were able to be part of your anniversary weekend!

Thanks for making our week and we can't wait to welcome you back.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Sunday brunch was good,very nice place with wonderful views.
food prices are reasonable ,however, drink prices are beyond ridiculous! If you like $15 bloody Marys and $14 mimosas then you'll love 41 North!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dan k
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Hello Dan K,

Thank you for your positive and frank review of your brunch experience in our restaurant, The Grill. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the food and views, and sorry to hear that you were dismayed with our drink prices.

We take such honest feedback seriously and will review or pricing in light of it.

I hope we are able to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Stayed here during off season (late April) and had a wonderful experience. The common areas and rooms were quite luxurious and modern, and even included an iPad to access and review the hotel's amenities and surrounding activities. The staff was friendly and professional. The food was delicious and varied. Everything about the hotel, including the great waterfront views and easy access to downtown (literally steps from the main thoroughfare) made our romantic getaway perfect and cozy. Parking was also very easy, and because of its central location, it made it very easy to view the nearby mansions. Finally, I loved the Andrew Morgan blankets/throws and other fine details of the rooms, which easily pushes this hotel to the high ranks of a designer boutique getaway.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank revelty
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Revelty,

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic and thorough review! We are so glad that your stay with us was so pleasing and we would love to welcome you back soon.

Of all or your compliments about our hotel, the one that is most appreciated is about our friendly and professional staff. We review these comments on a regular basis as an entire team, so as an entire team we thank you.

I hope business (or pleasure) will bring you back again this April.

Sincerest thanks,

Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

my husband and I came here for dinner ( by suggestion of a Newport native) it was great the staff were very friendly and attentive, the food was good, a bit pricey but still very good nice and hot when it arrived so I know our waiter was paying attention. the bottled wines are extremely over priced we paid three times the price for a bottle of Rodney strong than it is to get from the general liquor store but other than that no complaints

• Stayed: January 2014
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Hello Mariamarvobs,

Thank you for your great review of our restaurant, The Grill. We're very pleased that you enjoyed your dinner and are especially happy to hear about the good service from your waiter. If you happen to remember his name I would really like to share your comments with him. I may be reached directly at psauceda@41north.com.

Thank you again; I hope we see you again soon.