“Beautiful, hip Euro-chic hotel with warm and gracious staff”
Review of Forty 1⁰ North

Forty 1⁰ North
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is quite amazing in decor, vibe and service. I stayed at Forty 1 North Memorial Day weekend and found it to be stellar in terms of hospitality and accommodations. Often times chic, hip and modern hotels lack warmth with their snooty "we're-so-very-cool-but-you're-not" staff. Not here. This hotel has hand selected a staff with genuine warmth who're happily attentive to every detail and request you may have. The food is fantastic. Service great. And it's pet friendly! What a great touch. The beds are seductively comfortable, the decor is modern and elegant. One thing to note if you like quiet hotels. There's an active, hot night scene in the bars and outdoor areas of this hotel. It all shuts down at 1pm. We enjoyed ourselves Friday and Saturday, noting that Sunday is more mellow. You're right on the dock with views of the water and yachts. Centrally located to everything; restaurants, bars, shopping and museums. This is a boutique hotel with about 28 rooms, so you'll find the staff at your disposal for any needs you may have. Also, we had free access to a gym down the street as residents.

2  Thank Susan W
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Susan W,

Thank you for such a positive and kind review. I am so happy that you enjoyed your Memorial Day weekend.

Our staff's attentiveness has been coming up a lot in Trip Advisor reviews and it means a great deal to us, since service is the number one thing within our control.

I'm glad you liked our nightlife scene on the marina- and you are spot on about Sundays being more mellow. If you are ever interested in a short getaway in the winter, it is quite relaxing here without the weekend outdoor nightlife, but with soaking tubs and fireplaces.

I hope you'll visit again soon; would love to meet you.

Warm regards,

There are newer reviews for Forty 1⁰ North

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed 2 nights here. I highly recommend this hotel. The entire staff was very attentive and always up beat and friendly.The rooms were excellent, very clean with nice amenity's. The iPad and I pod for checking out the area and music in the roomwas a nice touch. I wish they had a alarm clock in the room . The shower and tub were very large. Located with in walking distance of great shopping and numerous restaurants. Great views with a wonderful out door patio and bar. When we are in the area I will stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms with a ocean view are the best. The 3rd floor would be my first choice
1  Thank tralverGregg365

Hello tralverGregg365,

Thanks so much for the great review. I'm glad you were pleased with both the facilities and the staff. Your comment regarding the staff being attentive, upbeat and friendly means a great deal to us as that is exactly what we are trying to be.

I hope you'll come again soon. Please ask for me the next time you are here.

Very best,

Reviewed 25 May 2014

My wife discovered Smith Hotels during a previous search of lodgings in Puerto Rico and was intrigued by its description and good reviews. Consequently, I was excited to book our stay at Forty 1 North Hotel and Marina Resort in Newport for the week preceding Memorial Day Weekend, anticipating high expectations. We could not book the whole week and stayed at Forty 1 North Hotel and Marina Resort in Newport, during the three nights preceding the Memorial Day Weekend in 2014.

Executive summary review:

If all that matters to you when choosing travel accommodations is to stay in premium plush new or new-like facilities, in the center of things, this may be the place for you.

If on the other hand, you are a seasoned traveler who wants it all; location, up-to-date facilities, great room amenities, a comfortable bed, clean everything, experienced staff, the right kind of personal attention and value, then you might be interested in a more detailed review of this hotel, following.

Seasoned traveler review:

LOCATION: The hotel is located at the old site of Christie’s Marina, traditionally ground zero for upscale yachts and sailors visiting the home of America’s Cup Race. Needless to say the hotel is located in center of the heart in Newport. Best location, period. Within walking distance of many restaurants, shops, and points of interest. Conveniently enough, the hotel is set back on Thames Street, providing parking,-- at $27 per day and creating a quiet micro environment.

FACILITIES: We were told the facilities are six years old, serving as accommodations for members only during its first year, and open to the public hence. Facilities are new-like and plush. --From the mural greeting guests at the main entrance, to the glass mosaic floors on the foyer and into The Grill, its upscale restaurant. Furnishings, fixtures, piped sound and fragrances are all distinctly upscale. Great place to take a date for a romantic, whatever.

ROOM & AMMENITIES: We stayed in Suite #2, overlooking the harbor. The room was comfortably large, including: a king size bed, a well-appointed sitting area, a gas fireplace, a wet bar stocked with premium spirits, beverages, snacks, candy, and other personal indulgences, and a desk –itself furnished with an iPad. The wall-mounted TV was wired to an iPhone next to it --also provided in the room, but we were unable to pair it and experience this sound system through the TV set. The bathroom is spacious and is equipped with a deep tub and a surround glass-mosaic shower. The room connects to a fourteen foot wide balcony through a glass door. The balcony is equipped with two sitting areas. The view from our bed was impeccable-- docks, yachts, boats, water and Fort Adams on the opposite shore. The bed was ample but it is uncomfortably soft, not providing enough support for comfortable sleeping. Think Titanic. The room, including the bathroom was impeccably clean, everywhere. It was serviced and cleaned as well every day. The shower door however, does not seal and leaks pools of water unto the stone tile floor, requiring extra towels to tidy up immediately after use and between room servicing. Replacement fresh towels were provided stingily /spottily. The first day we were provided two sets of towels, while during the next two days, only one. Not enough to contain the shower leaks and still have fresh towels for the morning. Guest toiletries were also provided stingily /spottily. The second day we got body moisturizer, the other two days, we didn’t. Rationing?

GUEST SERVICES: Reception was interesting as the hotel does not have a front desk but rather a front table stacked with cocktail-table books on architecture and utilizes an Apple laptop as the reservation and guest management technology. It felt both personable and cheap simultaneously. Personable, as the staff is holding the laptop on her forearms, as if engaged in a personal conversation at the office, yet, without being accommodating. --During online booking we offered early check in at 11:00 am and a free reception cocktail for online guests, which were refuted by the reception staff at the hotel upon our arrival.

During our stay we noticed several staff rushing around areas of the hotel, perhaps busily, or not. The majority of staff is very young and some were being trained on the floor as we explored the facilities. We met the night bartender and the Director of Night Life. Interestingly we noticed there is no night life at the hotel other than the ‘Fermentation’ class. The bar, licensed to operate to 1:00 am, closed by 11:00 pm on Wednesday, the night of the Fermentation class, and by 10:00 pm on Thursday. The parking staff while eager also made us feel a bit awkward by acting too aggressive. On departure, they loaded our bags into the wrong car. Oops, good thing I noticed.

VALUE: We were surprised once, although not pleasantly. Upon arrival we were invited to participate in the hotel’s guest service program titled ‘Fermentation’, a class exploration on the art of fermenting. There was no mention of a fee for this guest service. The class was also written up on the mirror message-board on our floor, again without any mention of a fee for participating. During the second night at the hotel we enrolled and were directed to the bar where a representative of Diageo would discuss fermentation. The event turned out to be a promotion for three of Diageo’s wine products. It was pleasant but I wish they would have informed me that there would be a charge of $75 prior to enrolling. I would have declined if I had known. While the event was pleasant, it was not worth $75. I tend to have a problem paying money for a sales pitch, albeit tasty. Not worth, emphatically.

While not a surprise, our biggest disappointment was Value. At over $370 per night, I would expect consistency on the quality of services, including the provision of fresh towels and toiletries. I would also expect that parking staff would treat me with all the courtesies owed to preferred guests, as opposed to assuming we did not belong there, just because I was not driving my MX-5, but rather another unassuming vehicle.
Spoken frankly and directly; the prices of items in the mini bar are excessively high. They have the effect opposite of encouraging guests to use them. Accustomed to a night cap in PJs prior to retiring, I was unwilling to spend $70 or more to indulge using the mini bar. At a prominent bar a few doors down the street, a four oz. pour of Angel’s Envy, premium small-batch bourbon was just $8 !

BOTTOM LINE: Forty 1 North Hotel and Marina Resort in Newport is indeed a premium & plush accommodation, however, it is not a good value. If you like me, are not trying to impress someone else, then like me, you too probably want value as well.

2  Thank J L P

Dear J L P,

Thank you for your thorough review. I have read it several times and appreciate both your compliments of our facilities and your frankness regarding our value proposition.

We will consider all of your points and make improvements wherever we can.

Sincere thanks,

Reviewed 25 May 2014

It was our anniversary celebration. The location was great. Unfortunately we had a room right by the stairs and could hear a wedding party crowd when they came back. The sound from the bar carried right up the stairs to the second floor. Could hear them through the door into our room. Also as people were in the hallway you could hear them.

Dear Glpbeach,

Thank you very much for your review. I'm very happy that you enjoyed our location and disappointed that you were disturbed by hallway or lobby noise. It is important to us that everyone gets a good night sleep.

I hope you will join us again one of these days and will have a better experience. Should you decide to come again please look me up when you arrive. I'd welcome the opportunity to meet you in person.

Best regards,

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Forty 1 North has the glamour of South Beach, the edginess of Manhattan and the elegance of Newport all wrapped up into one memorable waterfront boutique hotel package. Stunning outdoor space framed by the on site marina and docks, fabulous dining and truly gorgeous aesthetics. Location is perfect for sailing, shopping, and exploring Newport and the staff is wonderfully professional. A do not miss destination in New England.

Room Tip: No pool on property but the staff can point you in the right direction ... If you can bear to tear y...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Hello GinaSamarotto,

It was wonderful to meet you while you were here this week and I thank you tremendously for your terrific review.

I hope you will be back very soon.

Warmly,

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We spent Sunday evening though Monday morning here during mid-May. Spoiler: We are definitely coming back.

Service: Excellent. Surprisingly so. Clearly everyone, including the friendly chambermaids and the many managers, were trained on how to make their guests happy. We were pleased by the cheerful and accommodating demeanor from all. They literally went out of their way to make us happy.

Value: We stayed here mid-May. Prices were a good value for the quality of accommodations, food, and services delivered. Many might think we got a deal.

Quality: First class all the way.

Food: Delicious. We never felt the need to leave the hotel. We had, in order, lunch, dinner, and breakfast. Each inventive, thoughtfully prepared, reasonably priced, and delicious.

Room: Focused on comfort. Great bed, pillows, covers, bathroom, beautiful big shower. Great view of the harbor. (Internet coverage was spotty, but not terrible.)

On the negative side: they were just a bit slow with restaurant service. It wasn't busy when we were here (Sun-Mon, mid-May). Hopefully it was just an economic decision to have a smaller kitchen staff during the shoulder season. Not bad, understand, just a bit slow, three meals in a row. Again, the food was well worth waiting for.

And just one other thing... The music is too loud in all the public spaces. Hard to have a conversation in the restaurants, inside and outside. (Yes, I did ask for it to be lowered.)

Tone the music down a bit and you'll be perfect.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 17. Very comfortable, with a nice view of part of the harbor.

Hello lovethevineyard,

Thank you very much for your meticulous and positive review.

We are very proud to receive high praise from such a frequent traveler, but also appreciate your frank feedback about the music volume and the speed of the restaurant service while you were here. We will take your comments and become better.

Thank you again, please look me up on your next visit.

Very best,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My fiancé and I had a two night, midweek getaway at Forty 1 North. Everything was great ( minus my hospital visit for a kidney stone). The best way to break it down was 41(ish) things we loved! 1. Perfect location - we walked everywhere! 2. Awesome Valets ( prompt, with great memories) 3. Cool reception 4. Excellent escort to room 5. iPads in room 6. iPhones in room 7. Gas fireplace that shuts off by itself 8. Awesome views of water 9. Amazing bath products 10. Supercool 4 head body shower 11. Turndown service 12. Full bar 13. Comfortable beds 14. Comfortable pillows 15. Cool key fob 16. Fantastic bar 17. Fermentation class- excellent!! And as an added bonus tasting and dessert menu brought out by the chef himself! 18- 30 Dinner at The Grill at Forty 1 North, priceless. 31. The dining views 32. The attention 33. The staff- so personable 34. Parking :) 35. The handwritten, personalized welcome note 36. The smiles 37. The energy 38-41. The satisfaction!!!
Will definitely be back! Great job Forty 1 North!!

Room Tip: Farther away from the lobby
2  Thank Courtney265
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Hello Courtney265,

Wow, thank you so much for this incredible review! I love to read any really positive review, but I must say, this was the coolest review I've ever read. Lucky for you we are not in Juneau at 58 degrees north.

I am excited to share points 2,4,17,32,33,35,36 and 37 with the staff. And I'm sure everyone that has worked so hard to design our facilities and amenities will be thrilled with the rest.