“Great Location!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Connecticut
“Great Location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed at Forty 1 North for a girls getaway weekend. Upon arrival we were greeted by super friendly and professional valets. They were top-notch! The hotel lobby was really nice and chic. We stayed in one of the lofts not connected to the main hotel since we had a large party. We enjoyed the space of the loft as it suited our party's needs however we were a disappointed in the cleanliness. We notified the front desk of the issues and they took care of them promptly. They even offered us complimentary breakfast in the grille for our inconvenience. The lofts come with a fully equipped kitchen. I would recommend they upgrade to full size fridges since there is a stove/dishwasher etc. We had a hard time fitting everything in the above average mini-fridge!
The parking is expensive so be prepared!
Overall we had a very nice time and all the staff was extremely polite and attentive. We probably would stay in the actual hotel and not the loft if were to go back!

2 Thank cwask
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Hello cwask,

Thank you very much for your positive review; I'm glad you had nice girl's get-away weekend. Our valets are going to really appreciate being singled out for their great service- I'll share your comments with them today.

I am sorry that the loft wasn't up to snuff. Even though we're happy to hear things were rectified quickly- our preference is to not inconvenience you in the first place. We take your comments seriously and are addressing our systems.

I hope you'll be back often.

Very best,
Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Can't wait to return!! I booked this last minute on Memorial day as I was driving home from NH to PA. LOVED the look and ambience of this little boutiquey hotel/inn. Room was clean and liked the slider door/juliet balcony.The bathroom was huge with a great shower and Jacuzzi tub that I wish I had the time to use. I was very impressed with the ipod station and iphone charger that I desperately needed. The bed was REALLY comfortable and much appreciated after a long drive. The location is perfect..on the water and walking distance to unique shops and eateries. I'm excited to return, so that I can experience one of the rooms with a balcony facing water.
The outside common space is so pretty! The only negative is that I didn't know Valet charged $28 for the night. A glass of wine is $15. Beer is about $9. I will definitely be back though, and just drink somewhere else. ps. wish they had a swimming pool!

Room Tip: try to get water view, but not a big deal if you can't...the whole place is lovely.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank keenansm0m
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Daar keenansm0m,

Thank you for your very positive review. I'm glad you discovered us and am happy to know that you'll be returning. It's always gratifying to receive a good review from a senior reviewer on Trip Advisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Ansonia, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Nicely appointed rooms that include an I-pad for your convenience. We stayed in a harbor view suite that had a nice balcony. The restaurant was "okay" in our opinion but there are many others within walking distance. There are dozens of little stores as well. You really don't even need a car when you stay here!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the harbor view suite!
Hello Marcus W,

Thank you very much for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed you enjoyed your stay, our location and well appointed rooms. I am sorry to hear, however, that your experience in our restaurant was only ok. Ok is not what we are striving for.

I hope your next visit will be even better and you will be impressed with our restaurant. Please let me know if you plan to come again soon- I'd like the opportunity to meet you in person.

Best regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is quite amazing in decor, vibe and service. I stayed at Forty 1 North Memorial Day weekend and found it to be stellar in terms of hospitality and accommodations. Often times chic, hip and modern hotels lack warmth with their snooty "we're-so-very-cool-but-you're-not" staff. Not here. This hotel has hand selected a staff with genuine warmth who're happily attentive to every detail and request you may have. The food is fantastic. Service great. And it's pet friendly! What a great touch. The beds are seductively comfortable, the decor is modern and elegant. One thing to note if you like quiet hotels. There's an active, hot night scene in the bars and outdoor areas of this hotel. It all shuts down at 1pm. We enjoyed ourselves Friday and Saturday, noting that Sunday is more mellow. You're right on the dock with views of the water and yachts. Centrally located to everything; restaurants, bars, shopping and museums. This is a boutique hotel with about 28 rooms, so you'll find the staff at your disposal for any needs you may have. Also, we had free access to a gym down the street as residents.

2 Thank Susan W
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Susan W,

Thank you for such a positive and kind review. I am so happy that you enjoyed your Memorial Day weekend.

Our staff's attentiveness has been coming up a lot in Trip Advisor reviews and it means a great deal to us, since service is the number one thing within our control.

I'm glad you liked our nightlife scene on the marina- and you are spot on about Sundays being more mellow. If you are ever interested in a short getaway in the winter, it is quite relaxing here without the weekend outdoor nightlife, but with soaking tubs and fireplaces.

I hope you'll visit again soon; would love to meet you.

Warm regards,
Brighton, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed 2 nights here. I highly recommend this hotel. The entire staff was very attentive and always up beat and friendly.The rooms were excellent, very clean with nice amenity's. The iPad and I pod for checking out the area and music in the roomwas a nice touch. I wish they had a alarm clock in the room . The shower and tub were very large. Located with in walking distance of great shopping and numerous restaurants. Great views with a wonderful out door patio and bar. When we are in the area I will stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms with a ocean view are the best. The 3rd floor would be my first choice
1 Thank tralverGregg365
Hello tralverGregg365,

Thanks so much for the great review. I'm glad you were pleased with both the facilities and the staff. Your comment regarding the staff being attentive, upbeat and friendly means a great deal to us as that is exactly what we are trying to be.

I hope you'll come again soon. Please ask for me the next time you are here.

Very best,
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

My wife discovered Smith Hotels during a previous search of lodgings in Puerto Rico and was intrigued by its description and good reviews. Consequently, I was excited to book our stay at Forty 1 North Hotel and Marina Resort in Newport for the week preceding Memorial Day Weekend, anticipating high expectations. We could not book the whole week and stayed at Forty 1 North Hotel and Marina Resort in Newport, during the three nights preceding the Memorial Day Weekend in 2014.

Executive summary review:

If all that matters to you when choosing travel accommodations is to stay in premium plush new or new-like facilities, in the center of things, this may be the place for you.

If on the other hand, you are a seasoned traveler who wants it all; location, up-to-date facilities, great room amenities, a comfortable bed, clean everything, experienced staff, the right kind of personal attention and value, then you might be interested in a more detailed review of this hotel, following.

Seasoned traveler review:

LOCATION: The hotel is located at the old site of Christie’s Marina, traditionally ground zero for upscale yachts and sailors visiting the home of America’s Cup Race. Needless to say the hotel is located in center of the heart in Newport. Best location, period. Within walking distance of many restaurants, shops, and points of interest. Conveniently enough, the hotel is set back on Thames Street, providing parking,-- at $27 per day and creating a quiet micro environment.

FACILITIES: We were told the facilities are six years old, serving as accommodations for members only during its first year, and open to the public hence. Facilities are new-like and plush. --From the mural greeting guests at the main entrance, to the glass mosaic floors on the foyer and into The Grill, its upscale restaurant. Furnishings, fixtures, piped sound and fragrances are all distinctly upscale. Great place to take a date for a romantic, whatever.

ROOM & AMMENITIES: We stayed in Suite #2, overlooking the harbor. The room was comfortably large, including: a king size bed, a well-appointed sitting area, a gas fireplace, a wet bar stocked with premium spirits, beverages, snacks, candy, and other personal indulgences, and a desk –itself furnished with an iPad. The wall-mounted TV was wired to an iPhone next to it --also provided in the room, but we were unable to pair it and experience this sound system through the TV set. The bathroom is spacious and is equipped with a deep tub and a surround glass-mosaic shower. The room connects to a fourteen foot wide balcony through a glass door. The balcony is equipped with two sitting areas. The view from our bed was impeccable-- docks, yachts, boats, water and Fort Adams on the opposite shore. The bed was ample but it is uncomfortably soft, not providing enough support for comfortable sleeping. Think Titanic. The room, including the bathroom was impeccably clean, everywhere. It was serviced and cleaned as well every day. The shower door however, does not seal and leaks pools of water unto the stone tile floor, requiring extra towels to tidy up immediately after use and between room servicing. Replacement fresh towels were provided stingily /spottily. The first day we were provided two sets of towels, while during the next two days, only one. Not enough to contain the shower leaks and still have fresh towels for the morning. Guest toiletries were also provided stingily /spottily. The second day we got body moisturizer, the other two days, we didn’t. Rationing?

GUEST SERVICES: Reception was interesting as the hotel does not have a front desk but rather a front table stacked with cocktail-table books on architecture and utilizes an Apple laptop as the reservation and guest management technology. It felt both personable and cheap simultaneously. Personable, as the staff is holding the laptop on her forearms, as if engaged in a personal conversation at the office, yet, without being accommodating. --During online booking we offered early check in at 11:00 am and a free reception cocktail for online guests, which were refuted by the reception staff at the hotel upon our arrival.

During our stay we noticed several staff rushing around areas of the hotel, perhaps busily, or not. The majority of staff is very young and some were being trained on the floor as we explored the facilities. We met the night bartender and the Director of Night Life. Interestingly we noticed there is no night life at the hotel other than the ‘Fermentation’ class. The bar, licensed to operate to 1:00 am, closed by 11:00 pm on Wednesday, the night of the Fermentation class, and by 10:00 pm on Thursday. The parking staff while eager also made us feel a bit awkward by acting too aggressive. On departure, they loaded our bags into the wrong car. Oops, good thing I noticed.

VALUE: We were surprised once, although not pleasantly. Upon arrival we were invited to participate in the hotel’s guest service program titled ‘Fermentation’, a class exploration on the art of fermenting. There was no mention of a fee for this guest service. The class was also written up on the mirror message-board on our floor, again without any mention of a fee for participating. During the second night at the hotel we enrolled and were directed to the bar where a representative of Diageo would discuss fermentation. The event turned out to be a promotion for three of Diageo’s wine products. It was pleasant but I wish they would have informed me that there would be a charge of $75 prior to enrolling. I would have declined if I had known. While the event was pleasant, it was not worth $75. I tend to have a problem paying money for a sales pitch, albeit tasty. Not worth, emphatically.

While not a surprise, our biggest disappointment was Value. At over $370 per night, I would expect consistency on the quality of services, including the provision of fresh towels and toiletries. I would also expect that parking staff would treat me with all the courtesies owed to preferred guests, as opposed to assuming we did not belong there, just because I was not driving my MX-5, but rather another unassuming vehicle.
Spoken frankly and directly; the prices of items in the mini bar are excessively high. They have the effect opposite of encouraging guests to use them. Accustomed to a night cap in PJs prior to retiring, I was unwilling to spend $70 or more to indulge using the mini bar. At a prominent bar a few doors down the street, a four oz. pour of Angel’s Envy, premium small-batch bourbon was just $8 !

BOTTOM LINE: Forty 1 North Hotel and Marina Resort in Newport is indeed a premium & plush accommodation, however, it is not a good value. If you like me, are not trying to impress someone else, then like me, you too probably want value as well.

2 Thank J L P
Dear J L P,

Thank you for your thorough review. I have read it several times and appreciate both your compliments of our facilities and your frankness regarding our value proposition.

We will consider all of your points and make improvements wherever we can.

Sincere thanks,
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

It was our anniversary celebration. The location was great. Unfortunately we had a room right by the stairs and could hear a wedding party crowd when they came back. The sound from the bar carried right up the stairs to the second floor. Could hear them through the door into our room. Also as people were in the hallway you could hear them.

Dear Glpbeach,

Thank you very much for your review. I'm very happy that you enjoyed our location and disappointed that you were disturbed by hallway or lobby noise. It is important to us that everyone gets a good night sleep.

I hope you will join us again one of these days and will have a better experience. Should you decide to come again please look me up when you arrive. I'd welcome the opportunity to meet you in person.

Best regards,