“Woman bartender needs to understand customer service”
Review of Forty 1⁰ North

Forty 1⁰ North
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Boaron
“Woman bartender needs to understand customer service”
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Love 41 North. Even though its extremely over priced, we always enjoyed the outdoor bar. Today, 8/15 the woman bartender completely ignored us so she could hang out with one male customer. I took out my timer. 15 minutes later I got my drink. Granted it was my second request. We had to ask the woman and she never got it. She did however ask her male friend what he wanted. My husband then waited for a drink and also asked for a drink. We felt invisible. Obviously this woman would prefer to be elsewhere. She screwed over her partner and her tip.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Designer290
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Designer290,

I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear about your most recent experience at the bar. I have shared your comments with our restaurants director to look into further.

Since you have enjoyed yourself here in the past, I hope you will not let this particular experience taint your entire impression of us.

Please, if you come back in the future, ask for me when you arrive. I would very much like to welcome you in person.

Best regards,
Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Pomfret, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at 41 North for two nights following our wedding, and we were excited to stay at the hotel again to celebrate our first anniversary. Once again, 41 North exceeded our expectations. We were lucky enough to get the exact same room (Water View Guestroom: Room 4), and upon hearing it was our anniversary, the hotel offered to send us up champagne as a congratulations. Being 8 months pregnant, my wife cannot have champagne, so they sent us up a cheese platter instead.

The room itself is beautiful. All of the amenities are top notch, and the bed is incredibly comfortable. The view of the water out of our room made it even better.

We ate breakfast at "The Grill" the following morning, and it was one of the best breakfasts we have ever had. Being surrounded by the water and waited on by a conscientious staff was amazing, and the french toast is to die for.

We cannot thank the staff of 41 North enough for their hospitality and care, and we cannot wait to celebrate our second anniversary with our child next year!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear NEPats1251,

First of all congratulations are in order, both for your anniversary and your (soon to be) new arrival!

Thank you for the great review and we can't wait to see you again in a year.

Go Pats!
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Our stay at 41 North was everything I dreamed it would be and more. The staff was so attentive & personable. Our room was beautiful as was our view. Our champagne & hors d'oeuvres were so scrumptious upon arrival. Thank you Steve. We had the most amazing dinner on Sunday night. Everything was perfect. A delicious meal served by a very nice waiter while watching the most beautiful sunset over the water. Peaceful paradise! I have never stayed at such a beautiful hotel. It is so extremely clean and Eco friendly. I have had my own cleaning service for 25 years and 41 North is impeccable. The cleaning staff is top notch! I was so impressed by the pride they take in their work as I do in mine. They were very nice & accommodating throughout our stay. And thank you Meghan for my extra hot water every morning for my tea! And to the valet crew who were there each & every time we came in or out greeting us, asking if we needed anything and for being so nice & friendly! This was such a special treat for me. And I appreciate everyone who made it possible, especially my amazing son Nicodemo. Thank you. Peace & Blessings to all of you~ Melanie

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Morticia02,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! You may not realize how much it means to us to hear such wonderful things about so many hardworking members of out staff. I will share your comments with everyone in the hotel at our next staff meeting so all may hear.

Please come again soon.

Very best,
Lucy858
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel is in a wonderful location, both in proximity to city center and enjoying the natural landscape. Watching the sunset over the marina waters was well worth the cost of the (very nice) room. The only detractor in this equation, for me, was the service. The location, aesthetic and price of the hotel would lead to to expect top of the line service; however this is not what I experienced. The hotel failed to come through on booking massages, dinner reservations and helping me to coordinating activities in advance. The location was so lovely, I'm willing to file this as a one off bad experience, and would love to stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lucy858
Hello Lucy858,

Thank you for your kind review. I'm very happy hear that you enjoyed yourself overall and enjoyed the facilities. But I am sorry to hear about the snafus with your pre-arrival and off-site arrangements. I have shared your comments with our Guest Services Manager.

Please let me know the next time you are here; I would like to meet you personally.

Warm regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Not much to complain about here, the rooms were very nice and the location is perfect. We were able to walk everywhere in town and only drove to take the ocean drive, cliff and mansion walks. We were literally able to have great lunches, go sailing shop all within a 5 min walk of the hotel. I would definitly reccomend this hotel to others.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Delgazi
Dear Delgazi,

Thanks very much for your review. I am especially proud that you described our staff as "great," and I hope you'll return soon.

Very best,
Reviewed 3 August 2014

First impression - Music....too loud in reception, but hey it was Saturday evening but it didn't stop (all day and all night) and you just cannot escape it, not in your room not anywhere. We had to keep leaving the hotel to get some peace (even our teenage daughters felt the same). Other reviewers say service is SPARSE, that is an understatement, often there is none around, I found a few outside the front presumably trying to escape the music which apparently is the owners policy!
Food... don't think that staying in the hotel entitles you to a table in the restaurant, it doesn't! After a threat, we got a good table, food was good but again nowhere near enough service staff are employed so service is inconsistent.
Rooms... Well equipped but same iPod dock issues. Put the TV on loud to mask the sound from downstairs (we were on floor 3). Take earplugs. don't get room 20 unless you like listening to what is going on in reception 2 floors down. Slight mix up on rooms (we are family of 5)
Reception areas... not much charm I'm sorry.
This is a noisy party venue for singles and couples don't bring your family here. It thinks its trendy but isn't. It thinks its a boutique hotel but it isn't.
Would the owner please listen to the clients and staff. there really is no necessity for loud music all day long when noone is in the reception and restaurants. Even at 11pm on Saturday night the ground floor room with DJ was nearly empty.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Nick w
Hello Nick W,

Thank you for your thorough review. While it is tough to hear when someone is so dissatisfied, we accept your comments as constructive and will strive to improve our operation based on them.

I sincerely hope you will have another opportunity to enjoy Newport in the future and hope that should you give us another chance in the future that you will be pleasantly surprised by our improvements.

Best,
New York City
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Returned to Forty1North again and truly enjoyed ourselves. The location is ideal and within walking distance of everything in Newport. The views of the marina are gorgeous, especially watching the sunset behind the visiting yachts. One could just sit out on the balcony all day watching the view. The rooms are modern and well kept. This hotel is a boutique property and doesn't have the same 'hotel' feeling of larger hotels. Service while very nice can sometimes feel a little sparse. When staying here, you do get a sense that it is an exclusive property with guests to match. We do hope to return yet again in the future.

Room Tip: Note that the 3rd floor grand suite while higher up does have a smaller balcony than the same room o...