“Well worth the visit” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Private Historic Newport Pedicab Tour
Ranked #4 of 109 things to do in Newport
More attraction details
Owner description: The Elms was the summer residence of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Julius Berwind of Philadelphia and New York. Mr. Berwind made his fortune in the coal industry. In 1898, the Berwinds engaged Philadelphia architect Horace Trumbauer to design a house modeled after the mid-18th century French chateau d'Asnieres (c.1750) outside Paris. Construction of The Elms was completed in 1901 at a cost reported at approximately $1.4 million. The interiors and furnishings were designed by Allard and Sons of Paris and were the setting for the Berwinds' collection of Renaissance ceramics, 18th century French and Venetian paintings, and Oriental jades.
Gardners, Pennsylvania
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Well worth the visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was at a conference and had limited time to sight see. This was one of the three mansions I had time to visit. It was well worth the time. The self-guided audio tour was really well done and I ended up spending longer at the house than I thought because of all of the extras you could select on the tour. A very beautiful mansion with a very interesting audio tour.

• Korean first
springfield ma.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“up stairs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

we took a tour through the eyes of the servant who lived on the third floor out of sight. yet we learned a lot of insight to how hard they worked and how little they were paid.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Buy the "Breakers plus one" ticket”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

I enjoyed the Breakers (home of the Vanderbilts), but I'm really glad I also visited the Elms (home of the Berwinds). It showed that there were other Newport families who moved in the same circle yet never reached the same level of opulence of the Vanderbilts. I thought the audio tour of the Elms was superior to the audio tour of the Breakers. It included many tidbits about how the house operated "like magic" by keeping all the essential services hidden behind closed doors, wisteria, or underground. I spent about two hours listening to the commentary and walking through the house, and another half hour in the garden. I wish I'd had more time in Newport to explore more mansions. Onsite parking was plentiful (but keep in mind that I was here off-peak).

Corpus Christi, Texas
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We visited the Breakers and the Elms while in Newport. While the Elms is not as big or impressive as the Breakers, it is still a magnificent mansion to visit and the audio tour is really good. However, if you're only going to visit one mansion I would recommend visiting the Breakers. If you decide to visit a second mansion you can get a discounted fee if you have your ticket from the Breakers. We visited the Elms for just $5.

Visited October 2013
Arlington, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Not as Impressive as the Breakers..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

.. but worth the visit if you are in town. I thought the Breakers was more impressive, but I enjoyed the self-guided tour here as well.

Visited September 2013