“My Favorite of the Mansions”
Review of The Elms

and up
Private Historic Newport Pedicab Tour
Ranked #5 of 110 things to do in Newport
More attraction details
Owner description: The Elms was the summer residence of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Julius Berwind of Philadelphia and New York. Mr. Berwind made his fortune in the coal industry. In 1898, the Berwinds engaged Philadelphia architect Horace Trumbauer to design a house modeled after the mid-18th century French chateau d'Asnieres (c.1750) outside Paris. Construction of The Elms was completed in 1901 at a cost reported at approximately $1.4 million. The interiors and furnishings were designed by Allard and Sons of Paris and were the setting for the Berwinds' collection of Renaissance ceramics, 18th century French and Venetian paintings, and Oriental jades.
Philadelphia, PA
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“My Favorite of the Mansions”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The Elms is less extravagant than The Breakers, but if I were a multimillionaire living around 1900 this would be my pick for a "cottage." The place seems more livable than the other mansions. There is a magnificent conservatory which is possibly my favorite room in any of the Bellevue Ave homes. It looks out on the expansive gardens and is flooded with light. The Venetian themed dining room shows that the architect, Horace Trumbauer and designer, Allard and Sons, could lay on the gilt with the best of them. If you have the time, take the Servant's Tour. This will be your only chance to see in detail the behind the scenes life of the "help" that kept these mansions functioning.

• Korean first
Gardners, Pennsylvania
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Well worth the visit”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was at a conference and had limited time to sight see. This was one of the three mansions I had time to visit. It was well worth the time. The self-guided audio tour was really well done and I ended up spending longer at the house than I thought because of all of the extras you could select on the tour. A very beautiful mansion with a very interesting audio tour.

springfield ma.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“up stairs”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

we took a tour through the eyes of the servant who lived on the third floor out of sight. yet we learned a lot of insight to how hard they worked and how little they were paid.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Buy the "Breakers plus one" ticket”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I enjoyed the Breakers (home of the Vanderbilts), but I'm really glad I also visited the Elms (home of the Berwinds). It showed that there were other Newport families who moved in the same circle yet never reached the same level of opulence of the Vanderbilts. I thought the audio tour of the Elms was superior to the audio tour of the Breakers. It included many tidbits about how the house operated "like magic" by keeping all the essential services hidden behind closed doors, wisteria, or underground. I spent about two hours listening to the commentary and walking through the house, and another half hour in the garden. I wish I'd had more time in Newport to explore more mansions. Onsite parking was plentiful (but keep in mind that I was here off-peak).

Corpus Christi, Texas
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We visited the Breakers and the Elms while in Newport. While the Elms is not as big or impressive as the Breakers, it is still a magnificent mansion to visit and the audio tour is really good. However, if you're only going to visit one mansion I would recommend visiting the Breakers. If you decide to visit a second mansion you can get a discounted fee if you have your ticket from the Breakers. We visited the Elms for just $5.

Visited October 2013