“Between the food, the accommodations, the setting, and the service, everything was top-shelf.”
Review of Castle Hill Inn

Castle Hill Inn
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 25 June 2010

As you make the turn onto Ocean Drive toward the entrance to Castle Hill, it is difficult not to be overwhelmed with the view of Narragansett. The entrance to the property is marked with beach houses on the left and rolling greenery to the right. If you can get a reservation, the beach houses are all one can expect in the way of New England charm and a spectacular ambience. The staff at Caste Hill Resort cannot be more accommodating, ready, willing and able to tend to your every need. I never saw anything less than a smile whenever staff was in my presence. I will not try to describe the view from the terrace bar overlooking Newport Sound but use your imagination. The expansive lawn rolls down to the water with scores of white deck chairs awaiting guests who want to see sunrises that rivel the best of them. My dining experience was a particular treat with culinary delights to titallate the most discriminating palate. I should also mention the impressive wine list with some of the most interesting selections I've encountered. All in all Castle Hill Resort is a "10"!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 June 2010

My wife and I spent two fall days in Newport at the Inn at Castle Hill. We affectionally refered to the excursion as our "stay-cation" because we only live 20 miinutes away. That being the case, we couldn't have asked for a more perfect experience. We happened to stay in one of the beach cottages which offered wonderful views of the surf along with all the comforts of home. The stone fireplace and cozy wood floors were a great touch.

The staff were also truly exceptional. From the monent we stepped on the property we felt welcomed and pampered. While the property's natural beauty is hard to top, dinner is the main dining room certainly comes close. We had a five course culinary delight that was out of this world. Kudos to the Executive Chef!

As you can gleen, we would highly recommend spoiling yourself to a stay at Castle Hill.. You will go away with a very special memory.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I stayed here for a conference for only one night. After about 30 minutes, I never wanted to leave. I stayed in one of the beach houses and I don't know the last time I was this relaxed. I ordered room service, ate outside with the sounds of waves crashing on the breakers. Then went back in my room, opened all the windows and fell asleep to the sound of those same waves. I rarely sleep more than 4-5 hours when I stay in hotels. I slept until 8 the next morning and woke more relaxed than i had been in ages. I went for a run on the paths that run through the property and then down to the beach and back. That was all the workout facility that I needed. Then I had the MOST amazing french toast I have ever had in my life. The bath amenities (L'Occitane) are wonderful. I travel 40 weeks out of every year and I am VERY picky about hotels. So, for me to sit back and say WOW, I want to come back here again and again, it means a lot. I can't wait to return to this hidden gem.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2010

The room was old and smelled. The management was rude .
OK.... I've been using Tripadvisor for my trips for quite some time now and this was the first time I felt dupped. I usually read the negative reviews with a "grain of salt" but as long as the overall reviews are positive then I feel ok to take a change. With this hotel I was wrong.

I would never even contemplate staying there again and my advice to anyone who reads this is that they shouldn't either.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
10  Thank NycConnoisseur
Reviewed 16 June 2010

focused on restaurant not hotel business
very bad & arrogant service
mediocre food at horrendous prices
no spa, pool or sport facilities
no area exclusively for hotel guest (i.e. in the garden)
obsolete heating & air condition in the hotel rooms of the Inn
rooms are badly soundproofed
grossly overpriced

If you are looking for a romantic getaway, this might not be the right place.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Feinschmecker2010
Management response:Responded 30 June 2010

Dear Guest,

I am profoundly disappointed that we so grossly failed in meeting your expectations during your recent visit. As detailed feedback is very important to us in order to ensure that we improve on our service and provide all our guests with the best possible experience, I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to discuss all the details of your stay in person. This would provide me with an opportunity to rectify situation and hopefully welcome you back sometime in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly and ask for the General Manager.

Reviewed 9 June 2010

I traveled on business for 25 years and have stayed in hotels and resorts, large and small. When I want a great getaway - I head to Castle Hill. I discovered it several years ago. Just returned from my 5th visit. Excellent food, excellent service and wonderful accommodations. I always stay in the Beach Houses. I like the Beach Houses because they are only steps from the ocean. So, you can decide if you want to eat in the dining room, order room service, or make your own coffee and relax on your deck. Yes, it's pricey, but if you go mid-week you can usually find a great package. I have visited Castle Hill with friends and I have traveled solo. I always enjoy my stay because I get treated like a million bucks! If you need a pool, a band, or "typical" hotel fare - stay at one in town. If you want relaxation, great service and excellent cuisine - try Castle Hill.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 May 2010

Stayed here one night to celebrate our anniversary. We usually go to Hawaii, but one daughter just started Law School and we needed to prioritize. It was a wonderful night with drinks in the lounge followed by a delicious dinner. Other patrons in the lounge were friendly and we enjoyed conversation with them. Our wait staff was attentive and the food was absolutely delicious. My husband has travelled throughout the world and it takes a lot to make him say "this is the best"..and that is exactly what he said. We had a room for the night and we enjoyed the gorgeous view of the bay and the boats as well as the lights from the nearby Jamestown Bridge. We plan to return in the summer and stay in one of the beach cotteges. The staff was exceptional and remembered us by name. All in all we decided that it was as beautiful as Hawaii without the eleven hour plane ride!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple