“A very decadent experience.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Castle Hill Inn

Castle Hill Inn
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Westfield, New Jersey
“A very decadent experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2010

This was my second visit to the Castle Hill Inn and I can not say enough great things about this very special hotel/inn. From the sleep number beds...to the jacuzzi bathtubs - from the cozy fireplaces...to the espresso machine in the room - it is quite a treat to stay here. We have only stayed in the "supreme beach cottages", so I can't say anything for the other accomodations...but the cottages are AMAZING. They are tucked away from the main building and are right on a private beach. You can hear the ocean at night, and have your own little deck overlooking the beach. While we have only gone in the December months, I can only imagine how beautiful it would be during the summer. It is a yearly treat that I very much look forward to making a tradition for my husband and I. Very, very, very romantic.

We ate at the Castle Hill restaurant for the first time over the weekend and while I was absolutely happy with my meal (I had the three course pre-fix for $75 and had the scallops followed by the lobster), my husband would have preferred we go else where for the price. I didn't mind, though. While expensive, you get your money's worth. The hotel staff are increcibly professional and and friendly and if you are lucky, you will be sat in the cozy dining room to the right of the main dining room - which is much more intimate and boasts its own fireplace!

Breakfast is included and for an extra $10 per person, you can have it delivered to your room - which is what we do! There is nothing like rolling out of bed, putting on a fluffy white bathrobe, and sitting down in our room for breakfast...all the while looking out over the coastline. I had the pancakes and they were DELICIOUS!

We returned home last night and I am already dreaming of our visit next year! Do yourself a favor and stay here! It is pricey, but well well worth it!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsShinal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2010

Took wife for her birthday away to Newport and the Castle Hill was a great call. Not a value play, but breakfast is included and is excellent. Staff was outstanding and the location was ideal.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Chester, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

There are few places that rate top stars in everything, but Castle Hill rate 5 plus. The personnel area friendly, well informed and very helpful. the food is excellent and nothing can compare to the ocean view, especially at the beach cottages. While our family with young ones prefers the roominess of the beach houses, my husband and I love the cozy beach cottages. Our visit was perfect.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeanala
Lafayette, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

We stayed at Castle Hill for Thanksgiving and had such a wonderful time in the Mary Walsh Room. The views were wonderful and the room was so comfortable. The food during all of our meals was unparalleled and I would recommend dining even if you're not staying at the Inn. The staff was completely attentive and helpful throughout our stay and we will definitely be returning.

Newton, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2010

Checked in to room 3 in the main inn. Room was small, furniture with some wear, the room did not meet the description on line " oriental carpet, four poster canopied bed, somewhat limited views but offering partial views of the bay" . The room had no such carpet, no such bed , and offered nothing more than a view of the parking lot and a huge ladder in front of the windows. I thought I would make the best of it as this was a last minute booking and better rooms were not available.... so I went in the bathroom to freshen up my make up before headed to dinner to find a dirty tampon left in the bathroom trash barrel. I felt this was really poor housekeeping and a health issue.

I still tried to make the best of it and went to dinner at the restaurant. I must say the food was decent but the service was TERRIBLE. The first course came out cold and had to be returned. We did not have any water or wine with our main course as the waitress simply never returned. The table to my left complained that the main course only had 1 ravioli and reported that for 75.00 their son should not leave hungry. The table to my right complained as both of the wine glasses were soapy (literally full of suds with wine on the bottom) and the new glasses and new bottle arrived after the poor couple was done with their meal. ( The wife at the table to my right looked at me and asked ~ what kind of a place is this??) I thought about telling her she was lucky to not have checked into a dirty tampon in her bathroom trash barrel but I decided it wasnt proper dinner table cross talk.

Upon returning to the room at about 10PM we heard constant banging from the main kitchen/ bar that is under room # 3. I tried the white noise machine that is provided by the Inn and that was minimally helpful. I was startled half the night by the banging and crashing. I then was awoken to more crashing, clanging and banging at 7AM by the staff setting up for the holiday buffet meal and our room was totally overwhelmed with the smell of sauteed onions!!!!!!! The smell was so severe that I was actually feeling nauseated but couldnt open the windows as it is November in New England. I then went to breakfast which was fair, better service but the food was not really properly cooked (poached eggs were actually hard in the center... not poached at all) but I still made the best of it ~ smiled and enjoyed the juice and scone.

We then went for a walk to the lighthouse to return to the room and I decided to open the box of chocolates that was left as a welcoming gift to find 1 chocolate missing.....as the box was made for 2 chocolates and there was an empty wrapper in a little ball left in the box, and at this point I began to think that there was a good chance that our noisy and onion smelling room was likely never properly cleaned in the first place. We then decided that given all of the major problems (the noise , dirty facilities, poor service) we were best to check out and request a full refund. All in all I would say AVOID THIS INN AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! The employees are pleasant but it seems like there is no oversight or care taken with anything.

At this point we were promised a refund and I am still waiting for it to post to our credit card.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank Marsha L
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

This is our third visit to Castle Hill, its such a nice place. We stayed in The Lighthouse Suite, this time. I loved this room, spacious, yet very cosy, it has a huge bedroom, big lounge area, with comfy seating, great bathroom with steam shower and a separate bath area. It also has a Nespresso coffee machine in the room,daily cookies, which was a nice touch. Staff are very friendly, although service can still be a bit hit and miss! Breakfast is good, amazing French toast, (you must try it! indulgent but a nice treat), afternoon tea, again is a nice touch, after a day sightseeing. We ate in the restaurant one night, and had gorgeous Lobster, I believe the food has improved since our last visit, the portion sizes are a lot more normal now and the quality was very good.
I love the location of Castle Hill and its rugged coastline, Newport is just fantastic, we visited some of The Mansions again, and went for a trip to Mystic Seaport.
Had a Fantastic Stay, whilst its not perfect, it will always hold a special place in our hearts, as we spent part of our honeymoon here.

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2010

My husband and I eloped here 9 years ago and recently returned. The cottages are awesome, cozy, and romantic. The food superb.

A luxurious, tranquil, romantic get away... and that is in the fall when we have gone!

And the downtown shops offer shopping, food, and even elegant mansion sight seeing.

• 3 of 5 bubbles