“2nd time just as wonderful as the first”
Review of Cliffside Inn

Cliffside Inn
Ranked #2 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Scranton, PA
“2nd time just as wonderful as the first”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I love the Cliffside Inn...I really do. The house is just so clean and beautiful, the owner's Bill and Nancy are friendly and fun. I really enjoyed our conversation with Nancy during the cocktail hour. Debbie and Tamara are available for every request. (Debbie is so funny and I love talking with her). Maryellen, the chef, really works magic in that kitchen, lemon ricotta pancakes and breakfast burrito were awesome! Wine and hors d'oeuvres were delicious before heading out for dinner. First visit was in Beatrice Room which I loved. This visit was in The Loft and it was perfect. The king sized bed was very comfortable along with the wonderful linens. But the towels are the bomb! Very luxurious. 2 person jacuzzi tub and large shower. Loved the skylights in this room too and it has a ceiling fan. Will be visiting again in November and can't wait to try to Grosvenor suite. Looking forward to our return at this awesomesauce B & B!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jules6764
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
I am so glad that I was able to meet you on this visit. I really enjoyed our chat and your sister is great too! I will let you know if we decide to open up for Thanksgiving.

Looking forward to your next visit.

All the best,
Nancy (and Bill)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Hingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed at the Cliffside Inn to celebrate my birthday. We loved the Carriage House so much we booked it again :) Upon arrival, I was wished a happy birthday and our room had flowers and a welcome back/Happy Birthday sign. These little touches are all part of what make the inn so special. Newport is a fabulous location and has several options for a place to stay, we choose the Cliffside Inn every time. Nancy and Bill are excellent innkeepers. They are extremely knowledgeable of where to go, what to see and where to eat in Newport. They are social but not intrusive...perfect balance. We were thrilled to stay in the summer because we were able to take advantage of the outdoor fire pit. It was fun drinking wine and speaking with the other guests at the end of the night. Loved having breakfast at a table for two on the wrap around porch! Breakfast was delicious. I cannot forget to mention turn down service and the freshly baked cookies that are left in the room for you....YUM! I highly recommend staying here and we will definitely be returning as soon as we can!

Room Tip: We love the carriage house because of the private entrance, comfy bed and phenomenal bathroom (rain...
1 Thank labradors0610
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
It was so wonderful having you back with us to share your birthdays. I am glad you were able to have a great sunset cruise to enjoy the night. Maybe I'm bias, but I love the Carriage House too. It is so quaint and quite, yet cozy.

We are looking forward to your next visit!

Warmly,
Nancy and Bill (and Koty)
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The inn is very cozy and welcoming! I have a few suggestions. Perhaps some comfortable chairs to sit and read a book outside on the lawn or the porch. Also some nice chairs around the fire pit instead of sitting on the stone wall.
i would also suggest perhaps dimming the lights on the porch at night.
The cocktail hour at night was very enjoyable and a great time to meet the other people.
The room was beautiful!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Loft!! Beautiful!!
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you for choosing the Cliffside Inn for your birthday celebration. We really enjoyed having you here with us. Thank you for the suggestions. We would love to have rockers on the porch, but we have opted for more outdoor breakfast seating. But we are looking into options for the fire pit.

We hope you will visit us again soon.

West Simsbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My wife and I stayed there a couple weeks ago for our 20th anniversary. The place is beautiful. Every detail of the inn is amazing. Our room was romantic and very comfortable. We really enjoyed the wrap around porch with outside seating for breakfast or afternoon wine. And we spent every night at the fire pit after dinner to enjoy the company of other guests or to just wind down after our day. Bill and Nancy are excellent hosts. You can't go wrong with this place. I can't remember the last time I went on vacation, experienced poor weather throughout, and still had a great time. Oh, and the cliff walk is about a hundred yards from the inn, which is another added bonus. Book it and enjoy.

Room Tip: We stayed in the loft which was very romantic. It's on the third floor and has skylights.
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for choosing the Cliffside Inn for your 20th wedding anniversary. It was wonderful to have you and Mary share such an important event with us. We really enjoyed having you both here.

We hope we will see you back with us again soon.

Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Although I've been using TripAdvisor as a resource for years, I've never been moved to write a review (I'm more of a Yelp reviewer, I'm on there as Andy C) My wife and I just spent two nights at the Cliffside Inn and the experience was so fantastic I figured it was about time to write a TA review.

As a birthday gift to my wife I told her we were going to go to Rhode Island for a couple of days but kept the fact that we were staying in Newport a secret. When we pulled up at the Cliffside Inn, her face just lit up. What can I say, this isn't the number one rated B&B in Newport by accident ! The location is perfect, nice and quiet and only steps away from the Cliff Walk. In addition, it's only a 15 minute walk into town

This Victorian Mansion Inn is absolutely beautiful. Due to my booking being a little last minute, we weren't able to get the same room for two consecutive evenings. We stayed in the Garden Inn Suite for the first night, a charming two story suite that has to be seen to believed. I love how the view is of the front garden and you enter from the front porch.The second night, we spent in Adele's Room on the second floor which was even more comfortable. My wife loved the clawfoot tub and the bed was extremely comfortable.

The Victorian parlor truly makes you feel like you're back in time. The history of the Inn is fascinating as well, being owned a century ago by the artist Beatrice Turner, of which some of her original paintings still adorn the Inn. As impressed as we were by how wonderful the Inn looked, that paled in comparison to the above and beyond service we received from the owners and staff. As a vegetarian, Debbie made sure that I had several options during the wine and hors d'oeuvres hour from 5-6. A very relaxing way to end the day or start the evening!

A great breakfast is the hallmark of a great B&B. This is where the Cliffside Inn comes up trumps. We feasted on homemade granola, incredibly delicious muffins hot out of the oven, fresh fruit, and the absolute most AMAZING omelets I have ever tasted! I'm not a big coffee drinker, but the french pressed coffee was so good I had an entire pot!

Bill was amazing,the perfect host, going out of his way to make sure our stay was fantastic, from giving us detailed directions, to tips on things in the area. I have to single out Debbie as well as I called her from town asking for a recommendation on sailing tours and she gave us a great one. I could go on and on, but Bill, Nancy, Tamara, Terrance, and the rest of the staff were wonderful.

Did I mention that there is a fire pit in the garden? Perfect for sharing a bottle of wine and looking at the stars. Probably the highest recommendation I can give is that I can't imagine coming back to Newport and staying anywhere else but here! Looking forward to coming back in the Fall :)

1 Thank Andy C
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Wow, thank you for such a thoughtful review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed both the Garden Suite and the Adele Room. Both are great rooms in different ways.

We are so glad that Amelia had a wonderful birthday and do hope we will see you again in the fall.

Warmly,

Nancy, Bill and the entire staff (and of course, Debbie)
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Cliffside Inn is a beautiful, recently restored B&B. Everything was clean and fresh. The owners, Bill and Nancy, were extremely hospitable and have owned the inn since 2010.

We especially enjoyed the 5-7:00 wine and appetizers, and the breakfasts were delicious with fresh brewed, French pressed coffee - yum! The wrap-around porch is a great place to sit for breakfast or afternoon coffee, which they made for me when I asked. They also bring homemade cookies to your room in the evening. The outside fire pit was a nice feature, and the inn is located right next to the famous Cliff Walk.

We stayed in Adele's Room - it was very spacious and the bathroom was very large and new. Down comforters made the bed extra comfortable. Our room also had a fireplace with a remote timer - great to put on before you go to sleep! It also had remote control for the air conditioning.

We didn't know much about Newport when we chose to stay here, but Bill and Nancy gave us a lot of advice for things to do and restaurants to visit - all their recommendations were great.

Since parking in the downtown harbor area can be challenging, you may want to bring comfortable shoes/sneakers to walk there (about 1 1/4 miles). Or you could park halfway there and walk the rest of they way (that's what we did).

Thanks, Bill and Nancy for making our 25th wedding anniversary special!

Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you so much for choosing the Cliffside Inn for your wedding anniversary. It was so wonderful to have you here with us and we enjoyed getting to know you. Newport is a wonderful walking town and we are so glad that you were able to take advantage of it.

We are looking forward to a future visit.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I just completed a three day stay in Newport, Rhodes Island at the Cliffside Inn. We strongly recommend this Bed and Breakfast. Nancy and her staff were wonderful! They provided great service and were available to answer any question. The Inn itself was very clean and very well maintained. We stayed in the Sun room. The Inn was recently renovated and the place was great. The room was well appointed and more than met our needs. The shower was also recently renovated and was great. The breakfasts were very good and guests had the option of sitting alone outside if they did not want to socialize during breakfast which was a plus for my wife and I. Nancy helped my wife and I out with great recommendations for restaurants for dinner and for advice on getting around in Newport. My wife and I rank this as one of the best B&B's that we have ever stayed in. The only down side, and this was minor, the room was a little bright at night which did not help my wife and I sleep. But still, we thought the room was very comfortable and we appreciated the turn down service and the cookies that accompanied the turn down service. We recommend this Inn very highly!

Room Tip: Note, I did not bring a laptop for this trip so I did not really get to test the wifi connection...
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for your kind remarks and for the personal note you sent as well. It was wonderful having the two of you here. I can only hope you are called up by the War College more often! I hope we were able to keep your wife busy while you were away.

Thank you again.