“Inn Perfection!”
Review of Cliffside Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Cliffside Inn
Ranked #2 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Inn Perfection!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband and I just returned from our stay at Cliffside Inn in Newport, Rhode Island. The Inn itself is magnificent. The staff is extremely pleasant. The breakfast is delicious and well beyond my expectations. My personal favorite was the Lemon Ricotta Pancakes -- YUM. They serve french pressed coffee (my personal favorite). In addition, I really enjoyed the 5pm wine service. I am admittedly a wine snob so my expectations we're not high. However, the Cabernet they served was fantastic and they had a beautiful array of snacks to go with it.

My husband and I stayed in the Garden Suite. The Garden Suite is beautifully appointed. We loved the room and the tremendous whirlpool tub. We didn't like the spiral staircase in between the two, but that's probably more a statement to our age then anything else. Being over 50 we're both getting up to use the facilities in the middle of the night. I didn't like having to walk up and down the spiral staircase in the middle of the night, but that is no reflection on them. There was a fireplace in our bedroom as well as in the bathroom. Very romantic. There was also a private little garden off of the bathroom with a small waterfall. This area though very sweet was very small.

The inn and rooms were immaculately clean!

I really enjoyed the location of the Inn. It is right off of the cliff walk and away from the hustle and bustle of the more touristy area of Newport. However, you can walk to downtown in no time at all. There is also a public beach a very short distance from the Inn which is accessible from the cliff walk.

Long story short... I would stay there again and highly recommend it to friends and family.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet and clean. This is a very residential neighborhood.
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. When people book over the phone we always try to determine if the spiral staircase is right for them. I am so glad that didn't get in your way of having a great time at the Cliffside Inn. The Garden Suite really is lovely and that enormous tub in the bathroom is just divine. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the food and, of course, the wine. We will be heading to Mendoza in the fall and I hope we can visit that vineyard and find out what else they might have!

We look forward to a future stay.

Nancy and Bill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
New York
Reviewed 8 August 2014

What a breathe of fresh air staying at this B and B was. Bill and Nancy are attentive, warm and wonderful innkeepers, The room we stayed in was well appointed and extremely comfortable. The inn was impeccably run, we forgot a toothbrush and Nancy disappeared and re emerged with tooth brush and tooth paste in hand, then when my husband forgot his razor Nancy again came to the rescue. The breakfast was included in the room rate and was very enjoyable, and each afternoon from 5 to 6 they served wine and many delicious appetizers. Nancy and Bill were amazing in helping us select dining options that they felt we would enjoy based on our conversations with them, not just restaurants in the area that were highly rated. We have not stayed at a B and B in a little while, but based on our experience here it reminded us how amazing staying at a top B ad B can be. I felt like Nancy and Bill truly cared about the time we spent not only in their establishment but in Newport as well. I HIGHLY recommend this place and cannot wait to return,,,,,

2 Thank mbc014
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
So glad you will be giving B&Bs another try. It really is the better way to stay. We believe our guest experience is their entire stay, so tailoring your time in Newport is just as important as your bed and your breakfast. We are thrilled that you were able to make the most of your time here.

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate the feedback.

London
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I have to start by stating how stupid we were to leave The Cliffside Inn to the end of our journey and only allowing one night here before leaving Cape Cod. Hindsight can be an irritating thing. However, the best was saved until last.

We took the Cliff Suite and would have quite happily spent around 4 days in it (in my opinion people really do not spend enough time in Newport). Apart from the bedroom and lounge there was an extra little lounge with TV and fireplace to hide away in and seek refuge.

Tamara was absolutely lovely and thoughtful - Bill was extremely personable and helpful.

I really don't think there's anything I could write which hasn't already been stated elsewhere. But for certain, The Cliffside Inn served the most perfect breakfast and evening snacks we've had in The Hampton's and on Cape Cod. The owners should be very proud of themselves.

I have only one suggestion to make - and I suspect it will happen in the future anyway - but I think the Cliff Suites could do with a phone so that guests can call the main house if there's a problem or something is needed. As things stand one does have to go back and forth to the main building. And if you're visitors from outside the US you don't want to use your own cell phone to make calls just to ask a simple question.

If you plan on going to Newport please do go to The Cliffside if you like American inn's. Certainly, the inn is a far better option than the over-priced Chanler where we also stayed ( just a few minutes walk away ). If we were to do our vacation again we'd stay at the Cliffside Inn and go for our evening meals at The Spiced Pear at The Chanler - that really would be a perfect option.

Room Tip: if you're happy to not have a sea view than we highly recommend the Cliff Suite.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Cliffside Inn. We are so glad you have enjoyed your stay. We have struggled with that phone issue since buying the inn. For some reason tying the two houses together is a bit tricky and since most people use their cells it hasn't been a priority. But you make a really good point as we do have a fair amount of foreign visitors. One of my favorite things about owning an inn is we are always learning from our guests.

Thank you again for you stay and the great review. We really appreciate it.

Toronto
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We recently stayed in the top floor Turner Suite for 4 nights. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend to others without reservation. Here are some more details:

Location

I am extremely sensitive to night time street "noise" and was looking for a quiet area. I am happy to report that I did not hear a peep from the street during the nighttime for our entire stay. The inn is located in a residential area and very close to the gem of Newport, the 10 KM cliff walk. We really appreciated being able to walk down the street and get right on the cliff walk. Walk into town took about 20 minutes which was perfect for us.

Room

This is a fairly large suite with a bedroom, sitting area and washroom. If you are sensitive to light in the morning, you may wish to select another suite as there are skylights. The bed is a queen size and although I prefer a king, we managed just fine. The mattresses are softer than what we are used to but again this was just fine. The AC in the room is amazing. Very quiet central air. I would have appreciated some drawers to put clothes in but there is a cabinet in the bedroom which allowed us to hang some of our clothes.

Breakfasts

Breakfasts were amazing. Always something exotic and delicious as the main fare or your choice of eggs any way you like them. There was also a cereal juice bar you could avail yourself of. We really liked eating on the porch although one day, there wasn't a shady spot for us. Maybe the owners can think about how to create a couple more shady spots on the porch. Service was exceptional.

Staff

Debbie and Tamara were very helpful and friendly. I need my coffee fix in the afternoon and Tamara very kindly made me some fresh coffee every day. I really appreciated having a young gentleman available to carry up our luggage 3 flights of stairs on our arrival. He starts at noon. I would suggest the owners consider having him start closer to checkout time at 11 so he can help guests at checkout time but we managed OK and of course Tamara offered to help us.

Summary

We didn't get to meet the owners since they were on holidays. Maybe next time ! Overall, if you are looking for a quiet gem of an inn, this is the place to be.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GaryHToronto
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for such a thorough and thoughtful review. We are sorry that we did not get to meet you. Our three days away in mid-summer help us to revitalize for the second half! I'm so glad to know that the staff took great care of you. We do hope we will be here for your next trip.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is one of the nicest B&B's we have stayed at, and was a wonderful place to celebrate my husband's birthday. Location by Cliffwalk was convenient and it was such a relaxing and beautiful surrounding. Our daughter had given us a gift certificate and she always finds a place she knows we will enjoy. We stayed in the Garden Suite that had wonderful amenities and am sure all their guest rooms are nicely appointed. The staff were so pleasant and helpful. Our breakfasts were superb and afternoon appetizers and wine were so nicely prepared. We would love to return there again and would recommend it to anyone for a special occasion or just a getaway.i

Room Tip: Look at the website which shows guest rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Frantically
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
It was our pleasure to have you here for John's birthday. We are thrilled that he had a great time. The staircase in the Garden Suite isn't for everyone, but if you can handle the spiral stairs it is one of the best rooms in the house.

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a lovely review. We hope to see you soon.

Warmly,
Groton, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

My husband booked the Atlantic suite for our 12th anniversary. The suite was absolutely amazing. The bathroom was beautiful and everything was clean. The wine and hors doerves hour was great and the innkeepers and employees were very friendly. Breakfast was very good. I would definitely stay here again and I will be recommending Cliffside Inn to friends and family.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa D
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your 12th anniversary with us at the Cliffside. It was wonderful to have you both here and we are so glad that you enjoyed the Atlantic Suite. Bill always say that you can tango in there it is so big.

Maybe you can make this an annual anniversary trip? We'd love to see you again.

Scituate, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Our stay at Cliffside Inn was excellent in all aspects. The Inn is charming and beautifully maintained. The location near the Cliff Walk is great for early morning walks. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast and afternoon wine and appetizers were delicious and well prepared. We'd definitely stay again if we traveled to Newport!

2 Thank Denise G
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
I hope that you are enjoying your Cliffside Coffee mug! We are thrilled that you had an "excellent experience" at the Cliffside Inn. We look forward to a future visit.

Thank you for your wonderful review.