“Romantic Anniversary”

Victorian Ladies Inn
Ranked #27 of 96 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We had a lovely room for an anniversary stay at the Victorian Ladies Inn. Room was large and comfortable. Breakfast was very good. We were furnished with a bottle of champagne along with flowers, candles and chocolate hearts for our anniversary evening. It was a perfect ending to a perfect day in Newport. There was adequate parking off the street for which we were grateful. Only drawback are the narrow stairs to the rooms which are located on the second and third floors. Best stairs for getting luggage up are through the kitchen. Just a little awkward!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We stayed two nights in the Victorian Ladies. The decor is tasteful without being too overdone with Victorian opulence. We had unknowingly booked a twin bedroom and were cheerfully upgraded to a large room with a king size bed, a gas fireplace, and a sitting room without any extra charge. The small gardens and sitting areas around the property are cozy, restful, and beautiful. Can't say enough about the breakfast. Homemade granola, yogurt, perfectly ripe fresh fruit, homemade fruit and nut breads, crumb cake, jams, pomegranate-cranberry juice and orange juice on a side table. Then a hot dish which was different both mornings: apple french toast on one day and spinach quiche with a side of sausage on the next. Exquisite! I liked that it was served from 8-10--the perfect window for me! I also liked that there were several small tables for two for seating, rather than one large table. I don't always feel like making conversation with strangers. Then at 4 pm hot tea and cookies were served and were available late into the night. Cindy's restaurant choices were excellent and vouchers for area attractions are available.
If there was any down side, it is the location. As we explored the area, we found many bed and breakfast tucked into the heart of colonial Newport or on the waterfront. I suspect they might have been more expensive than the Victorian Ladies, however. Victorian Ladies is on a rather busy street called Memorial Blvd. It has its advantages: it is not far from the entrance to the cliff walk and is fairly close to the mansions. We had a lovely stay and I have no complaints, BUT if I was forced to state a disadvantage, I would say it is the busy street location. I think that could be offset by staying in one of the carriage house rooms which are located in the back of the house off the street.

Room Tip: Choose one away from the street for absolute silence.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I was looking forward to staying here for a couple of nights having been travelling throughout New England for nearly three weeks and although the inn is very sweet, there is something lacking.

It's nothing aesthetic. The decoration is very sweet and our room "Arthur" was charming. The innkeeper Harry was lovely too, introducing himself at breakfast the first morning but we never saw him again. Neither did we see Aleisha who greeted us on arrival and gave us a great tour of the house and also a superb recommendation for dinner. The person we saw the most of was, I assume, Harry's wife who never introduced herself to us. When you book into a small Inn and pay a lot of money for the pleasure, you can expect the personal touch. This lady had no idea who we were, how long we were staying or what room we were in! When I went to ask her a question on our first morning she asked me if I was checking out and when I did check out she had to ask me my name and room! Something I think someone in her business should have known.

Also around 4am on our first night someone checked in to the Inn! And they didn't do it quietly being put in the room above us and walking in shoes on wooden floors! The following morning there was no apology for our disturbed sleep at all.

All in all, the Victorian Ladies inn is lovely but pricey and not very welcoming

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stayed two nights at the Victorian Ladies, and loved it from the moment we walked in and were given a tour of the inn, and lots of information of thing to see and do in Newport.
Our room was a the delighfully sunny 'Beatrice' - a twin room on the 3rd floor of this welcoming Inn. Public rooms included the pretty parlor, where tea and pastries are served every afternoon and the breakfast room where a buffet and wonderful hot breakfast entrees are served.
The Inn has pretty gardens with seating areas and a tranquil koi pond, and is very well situated, a couple of blocks from the Cliff Walk, and just around the corner from the International Tennis Hall of Fame. In fact we walked everywhere - to the historic centre, the mansions, cliff walk and marina, and so for us the Inn was ideally situated.
And the staff were delightful - friendly and informative. A gem of an inn.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My daughter and I visited in September, I picked totally from the Internet. It was such a good choice: price wise, location, room size w/ private bath, and that wonderful breakfast. The staff was so helpful, it was clean, decorated so Victorian. The garden outside was also done tasteful with beautiful flowers for a sitting area. I would definetely recommend this to anyone visiting Newport, Rhode Island.

Room Tip: This has only one room with twin beds.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We were hosted by Cindy which is the best hostess we ever got in a B&B. She was extremely helpful explaining to us what to see, to do, and were to eat. Moreover she is a great cook. Her lemon pie tart was just the best we ever had! She also prepared the breakfast cooking very well done omelets. The hotel is nice. We stayed at room 2, which was ok, but nothing exceptional. The bed was comfortable and shower was also very good. The hotel is well located being at walking distance to the old town and to the cliff walk. A very good option for couples that will visit this lovely city.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We only had one night and day in Newport. Our friend who lives in Newport recommended Victorian Ladies Inn. We loved it! Cindy, the inn keeper, was friendly, knowledgeable and made a wonderful breakfast. We walked out the door to visit the highlights in the area. We didn't use our car at all. Our room, Caroline, was peaceful and very comfortable. We would highly recommend this inn for a memorable visit to Newport, RI.

Room Tip: There are steps in the main house to the rooms. Ask for the back of the house because it is on a bu...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple