“Convenient and charming”

Ranked #31 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Brightwaters NY
“Convenient and charming”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My son and I just stayed for three summer nights in the 3rd floor Harborview Spa room, which features a spacious veranda with hot tub and spectacular views of Newport and the harbor. It was pricey even by Newport high season standards, but worth it (we thought) to relax and soak in the view at the end of each day. The room's interior is cramped however, with a small elevated sitting area and barely enough floor space on the main level to maneuver around the queen-sized bed. There's enough armoire & drawer space for a few days' worth of clothing but really nowhere to stow your luggage except between the bed and the wall. There was no TV in the room but we didn't miss it. No problems with the in-wall A/C, there was a small gas fireplace but we didn't use it. Connecting to the free in-house WiFi was hit or miss, sometimes we picked up the signal fine and other times it never showed up in the scan list on our iPad or Macbook, forcing us to use our phones as hotspots. The staff were very friendly and level of service and quality of breakfast were very good, although I'm mystified why they don't offer whole wheat toast (only white and rye). I've read some complaints here that the food isn't fresh, but that was not our experience at all -- I had perfectly prepared omelettes with various fresh vegetables all three days, along with fresh cut fruit. We were also offered sausage or Canadian bacon as sides. The 24/7 Keurig and ice machines are very convenient. The property is charming and well maintained inside and out, and the location is a short walk from lots of shops, restaurants and the harbor water taxi.

Room Tip: Fantastic views from the Harborview Spa
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Virginia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Spent three nights at the Adele Turner Inn, which is walking distance to many restaurants, tourist sites and just walking! Well-appointed room, comfortable bed, updated bathroom. Some rooms larger than others. Ours was smaller but had two chairs and a fireplace! A cookie jar in the front hall with home-baked cookies all day, afternoon tea and treats, and a filling, made-to-order breakfast in the front parlor (or out in the garden, which we did several mornings!). Innkeeper kept our bottle of wine in their kitchen fridge until evening. Very accommodating all around.

Room Tip: Rooms have in-window a/c during summer, so choose a room with more than one window if you prefer to...
Nashville
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed here for a week of writing. I booked the America's Cup Room on the first floor. Light-filled, very spacious, quiet, and clean. Breakfast was a spread. I don't understand some of the complaints. There were three hot entrees; the omelette fillings changed each day as well (they would accommodate changes; I only eat egg whites, for instance). I frequently heard bacon, sausage, and toast being offered (I don't eat bacon or sausage but I did have rye toast on two occasions). There is also a sideboard with fresh fruits, cereals, and pastries. The pastries and cookies were not store bought. I smelled them each morning and afternoon (for the tea time) baking. Tea time was not a sumptuous affair but it was adequate and well-presented. There were usually berries, some savory canapés, lemonade and cranberry juice, pastries and such, and tea and coffee.

The shortcomings: the dark blue carpet in the room could probably use a good deep cleaning, there were make-up stains on a pillow sham that was promptly washed when I made the staff aware ( though it did make me wonder if they washed coverlets and shams between guests), and there was a slight damp smell in the room that disappeared when I showered with Bath and Body products. I attributed the smell to the age of the house age, high humidity in Newport, and the rain that was fairly consistent during that week. There is air conditioning in the rooms; the inn is walking distance to everything (Thames in one direction, Bellevue Ave in the other). I was torn between booking this inn and another higher rated one on Tripadvisor on the same street. Glad I chose this one--more places to relax outside. Will stay here again next year for a writing retreat.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Just spent the weekend in Newport and stayed here. The location could not have been any more perfect. On a quiet street but only a few blocks from the main strip. We walked to Cliff Walk and the mansions (granted it was a long walk) but really couldnt have asked for a better area.

The staff was super nice - accommodated special requests for breakfast, late checkout, and put a fridge in our room upon request. We stayed in the Hall of Fame room, which was a bit small, but otherwise met our needs. Two thumbs up for Adele Turner!

Fort Lee, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Coffee, tea & HM cookies always available. They have an ice machine...nice & not always typical at a B&B. They offer wine tastings & tea but unfortunately never made it with our schedule.
Our room was a little tight, but very cozy. It's in a great location, a short walk, although downhill (and uphill upon return) on cobblestone walks to the center of town.
Lovely historic inn with lots of little details and charm. Great friendly and attentive staff. Decorated beautifully with both indoor & outdoor spaces. Very nice breakfast & they have their own parking lot which is key in Newport. Good WiFi. Great location. Definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Admiral Benbow room, a bit tight, but cozy & has a large window which is great for sun, but beca...
Ballygally, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Adele turner B&B is very well situated just a block or so from the the harbor with lots of excellent places to eat & drink .
We stayed in Americas cup room which was very comfortable & spacious .
Breakfast was good with staff efficient & friendly . Simon was a lovely host & very helpful .
Would recommend highly .
C&H Ireland

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

This was my first time in Newport, so I wanted to stay at a B&B close to town. Adele Turner Inn was a wonderful choice! The location was only two blocks from the main street with many shops and restaurants. My room was lovely; good condition, nicely decorated, very comfortable bed. It also had a fireplace that would be great in the fall! My room was a bit small, but I found it to be a comparable size to other B&Bs. The staff was excellent- friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was also very nice with several hot cooked to order options. I was in Newport for a wedding, so I had limited time outside of wedding activities and I did not have a chance to attend afternoon tea or evening wine tasting. I wish I could have stayed longer!

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo