“This was our third year and we still think its an excellent value”
Review of America's Cup Inn

America's Cup Inn
Ranked #24 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Lunenburg, Massachusetts, United States
“This was our third year and we still think its an excellent value”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This is not a high end luxury hotel, but it is a clean, eclectic, comfortable, family owned business. It has it's charms and the location can't be beat. The included breakfast is good and the staff its accommodating. I would recommend it for anyone that's conscious of their budget and seeking value and comfort over luxury.

Room Tip: No elevator so if stairs are a problem let them know ahead of time.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Upstate NY
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I don't get to stay at a lot of Bed and Breakfast Inns, so I was completely charmed and delighted here. I stayed here with a friend for a couple nights in August and I enjoyed it very much. The buffet breakfast served had something for everyone and everything was very tasty and nicely displayed. This inn was perfectly located if you want to be close to the stores, the boats, the water ... you can just walk everywhere. The people at the desk where all extremely helpful and friendly. The rooms were (again) charming and clean. After reading another review about this inn that claimed it was "musty" smelling, I disagree. It was all very comfortable. Trying to think of something that may be a little negative, I would say there should be more light in the bathroom, and the TVs could be a little bigger. But all in all, I enjoyed this inn very much and would stay here again and hope to do so!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Albany, New York
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My friend and I stayed two nights at America's Cup Inn. We were impressed with the efficiency of the staff and the lovely breakfast offerings (which is complimentary). Also, the location can't be beat! Thanks so much to the parking lot attendant and the staff member at the inn who called my friend and I while we were out an about to alert us that we had left our car lights on. What a nice touch! The only "issue" we had was with the parking situation, which is a little confusing. There is no parking at the inn, but guests can park at the city-run parking lot directly across the street, at a discount ($18 for 24 hours, as opposed to the usual price of $24 for 24 hours). We were a little confused at how it worked. The people at the inn didn't tell us that once you've paid for your parking for the number of days you'll be staying (you pay at the inn), there is no guarantee you'll have a parking spot in that lot if you leave and return. This happened to us, and we had to wait for another car to leave the lot so that we could park. I know parking in Newport is a BEAR, so not sure how this could be rectified, but a warning from the staff at the inn would have been nice. Overall, my friend and I loved our experience and would definitely return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Susan S
New York
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Unpleasant staff with long faces when you arrive. Musty, unpleasant smell throughout property. We we given the wrong room but had it changed after an argument. It gets worse. After the change, we were charged the same price from suite to regular room. Told we were not entitled to a refund because of the inconvenience. Rip Off!
The room was in dire need off updating and renovation. There was peeling wallpaper. The rug was old. Ugly fake flowers. Bathroom was so dark you need a flashlight. Noisy air conditioner so you need to shout to your partner to converse. It was very dark in the room and depressing.
The only thing nice was the Chambermaid from Ireland here on a student VISA.
With what they charge for a stay they need take the money and invest in a major renovation and clean-up for the musty smell.
Take my advice and PASS ON THIS ONE!!! Stay at The Viking or the Newport Hyatt Regency. They are both upscale and have a professional staff who run it the proper way: Like a REAL business.

Room Tip: Try The Viking or the Newport Hyatt Regency. You won't be disappointed as I was!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
AmericasCupInn, Manager at America's Cup Inn, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
We are so disappointed that you were not satisfied with your visit. We take personally all comments, positive or negative, as a reflection on the strong efforts that we make to provide the most enjoyable experience for all guests. In your case, despite the fact that we changed your room as you requested, renovate each room no less than each three years, we missed the mark. It is true that the building is historic, in a preserved historic area of Newport, and some people prefer more contemporary facilities. We apologize that we were not provided the opportunity to give you a more thorough description before you arrived.
Your review has been shared with the staff who endeavored to assist you during your visit with us, and they all join in sending apologies and disappointment that, despite their sincere concern, they were unable to fulfill your needs.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Decided at the last minute to stay overnight in Newport, so stayed here. It's got very much an Inn/B&B feel, but bigger. The people at the front desk were very nice, although one seemed a little overwhelmed. There are at least two buildings as part of this Inn--the main building (reception, breakfast area, etc.) and another building a couple doors up the street. We were in room 503, which was in the separate building. Entrance to the building is via a locked door at street level, and our room was on the second floor (no elevator in either building). The room was good sized, with a king bed, decent sized closet, little deck shared with the room next door (but view only of the house next door), and small couch and seat with ottoman. There was no desk in the room. The TV was very small and very old. Carpet was an unattractive color, but everything generally seemed clean. This room also had a kitchenette with a small table and chairs, although we didn't use the kitchen. The bathroom was small and not renovated. The bed was comfortable, and the AC unit in the wall, although a bit noisy, did keep the room cool. Oh, and there was no wifi (at least not that I could find).

We decided to skip breakfast, but I did take a peek into the breakfast room and it looked like a very nice spread actually. Made me almost rethink skipping it, but we were in a bit of a rush.

Parking is in the lot across the street; the front desk will give you a validated parking sticker for $18/day (regular rate is $24.50), which also gives you in/out privileges.

The location is excellent, right on the corner of Thames St., and easy walking distance to all of downtown Newport. At $199/night before tax, this is a decent value for Newport.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. The room just felt a bit too old for me, and I'm not a fan of the decor (furniture, carpet, etc.).

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Everyone I encountered at American's Cup Inn was so nice and so accommodating. I was just in Newport for a couple of days to attend the tournament at the Tennis Hall of Fame, but my stay at the Inn really added to my experience. My room was very clean, the breakfast was delicious with so many wonderful things to choose from, and the Inn's central location made it really easy for me to get around on foot. Also, I had arrived early (around 9 am) hoping just to check my bag at the front desk before going to watch the tournament, planning on checking into my room later in the day, since check-in time is officially 3 pm. But the front desk staff person asked very politely if I didn't mind waiting about 10 minutes (and to please enjoy the free breakfast while I waited-which I happily did) so that they could have a room ready for me to check in to while I was already there. It all worked out perfectly, and I really felt they went above and beyond to make me feel welcome. I have already recommended this hotel to my friends and family!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Sydney
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We recently stayed at the America's Cup Inn in Newport. The Inn is in a great location and the rooms whilst being small are typical of boutique style B&Bs in Newport. There are no lifts available so it is not suitable for guests with large bags - nor is there onsite parking - however the public parking station is located almost directly opposite.

The breakfast was self service buffet style which was very pleasant. I would recommend this hotel in the future mainly due to its quaint nature and most of all the location. It is hard to beat located on the main shopping street - just one block from the waterfront.

Room Tip: I don't think there is any difference in the rooms. I stayed in Room 303 - which is on the seco...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple