“A Very Nice Inn”

Ranked #24 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Arlington, Virginia
“A Very Nice Inn”
Reviewed 13 November 2009

I stayed here for two nights while my husband was in between regattas in the area. We had a room on the second floor. The check in process was very easy. You can park in the lots across the street and the hotel can provide a validation.

The room, while nothing fancy, was nicely appointed. Being right on the street level, we had to keep the curtains shut for privacy, but that wasn't a huge deal. The location is great, right by the many shopping and restaurant choices in Newport. The innkeepers are friendly and helpful. Each morning there was a nice buffet breakfast with many choices.

I would stay here again, but with the many small-hotel/inn choices in Newport, I might also explore.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Couldn't ask for more. I go to Newport once or twice per year, staying at different hotels and by far my experience at America's Cup Inn was the best. The staff were very friendly, always covering all our needs. The breakfast was really good, variety of food, something for everybody and the room is so cozy. The lady in charge of it is very kind and sweet.
The Inn is beautiful, clean, our room had a nice scent, very welcoming aroma. Nice view of Thames Street the place to be, right in the center of everything, can't ask for a better location. Really we felt like we own the place or a friend invited us to stay at their home. I will for now on go back to the Inn everytime I go to Newport. :)

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 November 2009

Stayed one night on our way through Newport. The location is great - can walk to everything (shopping, bars, good restaurants). The place is older....If that is a turn off, stay elsewhere.
They said they served breakfast, but we got nothing......
They comped our parking in lieu of the breakfast though.
No overnight attendant - so we were virtually alone on our stay. Only guests in the hotel. Odd.
Again, the location makes it great.....

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 21 July 2009

We stayed in the hotel for one night only for the 4th of July weekend. I read the reviews, and people say it is outdated, but I liked the style. Yeah, it does remind you of grandma's house, but I loved it. Very "new englandy". Kind of old mansion style. The hotel is right next to the visitor's center and close to all the action which was ideal for us as we traveled without a car and just took a bus from Boston. The rooms were clean, no tv - but who needs a tv in Newport? The coolest thing - the best brunch buffet I've ever seen.
There is a J.Crew store very close by that has a parking lot for 10 bucks for all day.

We took a trip to the Second beach, for $1.50 - there are flex buses leaving every two hours from the visitor center two min away from the hotel. You can also take a trolley to the Cliff Walk and mansions.

I think the hotel was expensive but so is everything in Newport. I enjoyed the stay and would come back.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank dincola
Reviewed 12 July 2009

I had passed this place several times during trips to Newport. I gravitated towards it this time because it does have a great location. First off, it is outdated. The carpets are dirty, the furniture is old. Second, I was mislead about parking. I was told there was parking at a lot across the street. I asked how difficult it would be to get a space, because this is downtown Newport afterall. I was told it was never a problem. It is. When we went to park, there were no spaces and after waiting more than 15 minutes to see if one opened up, we had to find parking further away. Third, the person who I was told was the owner could not have been more unwelcoming. When I left, he never asked if I enjoyed my stay nothing. He didn't even say good morning when I came down the stairs. He just looked at me and didn't say anything until I told him I was checking out. Additionally, it was very noisy. I understand the outside noise because it is downtown. The issue is the noise coming from other rooms. Lastly, I felt safety was an issue. No one is there after 1:30am and there is no indication of who you should call if you have a problem.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MBTravels73
Sydney
Reviewed 17 June 2009

I stayed here for a romantic weekend with my husband. We chose this hotel because of its location.

The decor in the rooms is quite dated and is overdue for an update. It kind of reminds me of staying at my Grandmother's house. The walls, lamps, curtains and even the trash can were covered in an ivy pattern. There was no TV, which I didn't mind. Our bed was large and comfortable. The room was stuffy but had a somewhat noisy air conditioner which made the room more comfortable. We appreciated the free wireless internet.

The hotel puts on a fantastic breakfast, however breakfast doesn't begin until 8AM. Since I woke up very early I wandered down to the Starbucks down the street to grab a coffee and a newspaper to keep my busy until breakfast started. It was worth the wait!

Overall, a lovely hotel. We would stay here again if we return to Newport.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank slosydney
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 23 May 2009

We could not have been more pleased with our stay at the America's Cup Inn (ACI). The Inn is centrally located not even 1 block off of the center of Thames St and is literally in the middle of the strip of restaurants and shops. The rooms were impeccable, well decorated and cozy. Our room did not have a tv which may be problematic if you are traveling with children but we didn't miss it you do, however, get free wifi. The staff was warm, accommodating, and friendly and the breakfast had options to please everyone. I highly recommend this Inn to anyone who wants to have a genuine Newport experience and we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends