“A Home away from home”

Ranked #23 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Newport, Rhode Island
“A Home away from home”
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Went back to Newport for a long Halloween weekend and stayed once again at America's Cup Inn. It's my second stay and I am so happy that I returned. After I made my reservation online I called to confirm that it was received and I requested the same room I stayed in last year. Beverly was very helpful on the phone. We arrived late that night and the staff arranged that everything was ready for us. They gave us the same room as requested. The feeling at the Inn is like at home. The staff find a way to have very pleasant, nice people, haven't seeing any pets which I appreciate. Don't get me wrong I do like dogs but not in this type of Inn.
Best breakfast selection you can get. The lady in charge of that area always had a smile in her face. Our room was always clean and organized for us even when we didn't request for the service.
Dimitry at the front desk always helpful and ready to answer any questions we had. Great host. I can't thank you all enough for making once again our stay at the Inn unforgettable. I was very sad I had to leave. Looking forward to go back next year.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Sparta, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 September 2010

We were looking for a deal in downtown area, and found this great place just walking by. Checked them on my phone, saw great reviews about them, booked a room directly on their site, which was a bargain. We were very pleased to get a double room on the second floor with a great view. Front desk staff was very helpful and accommodating. Breakfast was outstanding! so much to chose from. We are coming back there in October for the fest!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Very centrally located, but I would not stay here again. We were on the first floor of the annex (20 Mary St) and were overwhelmed by a musty, wet feeling. There was mold on the shower ceiling. The bathroom floors were sticky. The cabinet doors were missing handles and the insides of drawers were not clean (in the kitchenette). The wallpaper was peeling in some rooms and when we arrived there was garbage (a cookie wrapper) left in a closet. We opened the windows to air it out but were on the first floor and were bothered by traffic noise (especially the many garbage trucks roaring by). Parking was easily found for free on the street about 5 blocks away. I would not stay here. I feel that they need to update (get rid of the dark, dank carpeting) and do some serious cleaning.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Clinton, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Dollar wise an excellant deal, you are right in the heart of the marina and shops. They have two buildings, and the one alittle further up the street is just ok. Our room was suppose to have a sleeper sofa, it had none and no other room to move us to. But they did provide a cot for our 16 year old son free of charge. Air conditioner in room had a very hard time keeping up. Felt muggy in room at times. No elevator. And parking is across the street, and it's not cheap. Like $18 a day. Breakfast is included and you get alot for your money. It's in the main building. And there is no internet other than the lobby, that is a pain when traveling with your teenagers who think they can't live without it. haha

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Westchester, NY
Reviewed 21 May 2010

Americas Cup Inn is centrally located in the heart of Newport, within walking distance of the harbor, all the city's restaurants, and even some of the mansions. Purely a bed and breakfast, the room we had on the second floor was cozy and comfortable. I was especially pleased to see that while it did not have a tv, it had a number of carefully chosen books. Parking is the major problem in Newport. The Inn has arrangements with the municipal parking lot across Mary Street (not Thames Street) to accommodate guests' cars at $18 for each 24 hour period, with unlimited exit and enter during that time. It worked out well, but must be considered when calculating your daily cost. All in all, an excellent choice if you want to be in the center of town.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 10 April 2010

This was a great vacation. Demetri at the desk was wonderful. We were made to feel welcome and found our room to be cozy and clean. A slow-dripping leak under the sink was fixed the very same day we reported it! (Thanks!)
We have no complaints at all about the room, the staff, or even anyone we met in Newport. It was an exciting place to visit. We shall be returning....someday.
P.S. This was Easter week, early April, not the busy season, so it was a good time time to visit before the summer crowds change the atmosphere.
Pat & Mike H.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 22 November 2009

Some positives and negatives really:
Positives: It was in a good location - right on Thames Street, and walking distance to the main bus station. I walked everywhere as the weather was so good - even out to the mansions. The lady who does the housekeeping and the breakfasts was very sweet and very efficient. The room was nice - but yes, it is like staying at your grandmothers house.
Negatives: The B&B was not staffed between 4pm and the following morning. So safety was something I was concerned about being a female on my own. I 'checked out' at 9am and the desk was not manned. I just had to leave the key on the worktop. Very odd.
It was ok, but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo