Ivy Lodge
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Gilded(Newport)
View Hotel
All reviewsturret roommansion districtthe cliffb bmy husband and iother guestsbreakfast was delicioushomemade granolagas fireplacebed and breakfastnewport mansionswithin walking distancewhirlpool tubthird floorshort walkeach morninggilded age
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Stayed only one night but enjoyed our stay. Room was perfect. We got some great advise from Darlene on places to visit and a fantastic place for dinner. Ivy Lodge is in a great location close to the mansions and cliff walk. Enjoyed a delicious breakfast. It really turned out to be a wonderful place to stay. Got a super deal with their last minute specials.

Reviewed 22 September 2011

Ivy Lodge is a beautiful B&B in a great location. The staff is very helpful and the breakfasts are good. Off-season and during the week rates are good deals. Weekend rates are fair but on the higher end of the B&B market.

Room Tip: When calling, ask about available less expensive rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2011

My husband and I wanted to do something special and different for our first anniversary. Rather than deal with the headaches of travel (flights, accomodations, car rental, etc.), we decided to stay local but still somehow have the feeling of getting away. We live about an hour away from the Ivy Lodge so this was perfect.

We chose the Trunk Room because of its unique characteristics compared to the other rooms. It was bright, beautiful and so comfortable. We felt relaxed the minute we stepped into that room. As a surprise my husband ordered a dish of chocolate covered strawberries which was waiting for us in the room. They offer some very nice add-ons to make your stay even more special.

Our hosts Darlene and Daryl were very gracious and were more than willing to talk to us and answering any questions we had, and even offered to make reservations at any of the local restaurants. The staff were friendly and nice and had a never-ending supply of smiles for the guests.

One thing that pleasantly surprised us was the breakfasts. To us, we would consider their breakfasts gourmet. It was different every day and was absolutely delicious. We expected bagels, pastries, cereal and coffee but instead got all that, fresh fruit, yogurt and a unique fresh, hot meal. On our second day we couldn't wait to get downstairs to see what Daryl was cooking up for us!

I would highly recommend the Ivy Lodge. The sitting rooms were beautiful. There's a wraparound porch and a baby grand piano too, which you are welcome to play. Our hosts were so nice and helpful and were sincerely anxious to help in any way. We liked that the Thames Street area was within walking distance, but if you don't feel like walking, the drive is just a few minutes long. The Cliff Walk wa practically in their back yard and is a very quick walk from the B&B. But the Ivy Lodge is so pretty and comfortable, I had a very difficult time leaving each day to experience what Newport had to offer!

All in all, the Ivy Lodge has made our first anniversary very special and unforgettable. I'm so glad we chose the Ivy Lodge, and I made sure to tell everyone I know to consider it if they plan a stay in Newport.

Room Tip: Every room has a different theme. I strongly suggest you look at all of them on their website to see which one suits your taste and mood.
Reviewed 19 September 2011

My husband and I recently spend 3 nights at the Ivy Lodge in the Trunk Room. It was one of the most comfortable, relaxing stays we've ever had in either a hotel or an inn. The room was more than adequate for our needs, and absolutely immaculate. The Lodge itself is brimming with modern renovations that in no way sacrifice any of its Victorian charm. Daryl, our host, was so friendly and helpful during our stay, that he seemed more like a family member than an innkeeper. The breakfasts were absolutely wonderful, and Daryl went out of his way to provide for my gluten free dietary requirements. We loved everything about the Ivy Lodge and will definitely go back again. I even enjoyed my conversations with the other guests, who were among the most congenial I have ever encountered on a vacation. Whenever we return to Newport, the Ivy Lodge will be the place for us!!!

Room Tip: There are 3 floors to Ivy Lodge, so if you have trouble with stairs, choose a room on the first or second floor.
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This well maintained B&B is located close to the mansions and is an easy walk to the Thames Street area which is alive with bars and restaurants.

The hosts Darlene and Darryl were extremely warm and welcoming. Their advice on what to see and do was invaluable.

They provided a hot cooked breakfast each morning in addition to breads, fruit and yogurt.

Coffee, tea and lemonade was always available as well as snack and fresh fruit.

Our suite included a large main bedroom and a smaller second bedroom which would be perfect for kids. The oversize bathroom was well equipped and included a double shower.

This is a very well run and maintained B&B and we look forward to our next visit.