“Magnolia Room suited our needs perfectly”
Review of Ivy Lodge

Ivy Lodge
Ranked #12 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
St. Louis, MO
“Magnolia Room suited our needs perfectly”
Reviewed 8 June 2012

My wife and I spent 2 nights at this beautiful property in mid May. I won't repeat all the glowing accolades and will simply say they are all true.

Location is great. It's in the Mansion/"Cottage" District so the cliff walk and all the old homes are within walking distance as was the tennis hall of fame. The downtown harbor area requires a car. Frankly, that area didn't have much appeal to us. Harbor was very nice, but the sights were largely elsewhere. I stressed over where to stay in the city and, knowing what I now know, I believe the Ivy Lodge was the optimal place. Lots of restaurants nearby, assuming you don't mind a 15-20 minute walk.

Owners are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

The house is gorgeous. Plus there are lots of little touches, like the porch and chairs, the free snacks, the free parking, etc. They allow you to take wine glasses from the cabinets in the dining room as needed.

Breakfasts were good and served between 8:30am and 10am, I believe. The hot meals were of moderate portions, creative and tasty. The hot meal changes every day. There was always fresh fruit and yogurt available for those who opted out of the hot breakfast.

The Magnolia Room is on the 3rd floor up a fairly narrow stairway to get there. Didn't bother us in the least. But for the truly obese or for those with difficulties going up or down stairs, I'd pick a room on the 2nd floor.

We'd definitely go back!

Ivykeeper, Owner at Ivy Lodge, responded to this review, 9 June 2012
We appreciate the time you take to write this review. . . When you are happy, we are happy. We feel very privileged to operate our B&B in a quite private residential area of Newport . . . whether the height of our season or the middle of winter, this property feels peaceful and calm. We hope you felt like you were visiting family, with special treatment added on to your experience. Have a great Summer and we hope to see you again one day.

Wishing you fair winds and safe seas,
Darlene

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Bayonne, NJ
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My Husband and I went for our "mini-moon" the last week of May. It was a great place and the staff there were super friendly. The Magnolia room that we stayed in was rather small, looked larger in the picture. Granted at a B&B the idea is not to stay in your room, however we felt cramped when we were in there. Over all i would recommend this place to anyone!

Millville, New Jersey
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My spouse and I spent 4 nights at the Ivy Lodge 3rd week of May 2012. We would highly recommend this B &B. The location was great, you could walk everywhere if you choose, but the neighborhood was very quiet. The innkeepers were very nice and very helpful, they had a good knowledge of the area and were willing to make reservations and suggestions. The Inn was very lovely, and there wasn't a bunch of silly rules posted about, you were able to roam the downstairs and sit on the porch whenever you liked. You rarely bumped into anyone unless it was for a delicious hot breakfast and other cold choices. Snacks were left out at all times. The room was great, (victorian) and the jacuzzi in bathroom was awesome! Very close to Bellevue Ave and mansions and cliff walk. Its a very beautiful areaa.

1 Thank Janet A
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My wife and I live in Oregon, but I grew up in Western Massachusetts. We have traveled to New England a number of times, but never to Newport. I am not usually a B & B fan, but was delighted with my experience at the Ivy Lodge. Our room was large, comfortable and clean. Breakfast was very good, with a hot entree and cold choices. The innkeepers were helpful with restaurants, etc. The location was fabulous. We could walk to the mansions, the Cliff Walk and the downtown. These are not short walks-- 10-25 minutes-- but do present the wonderful option of seeing most of Newport without having to use the car. Also, despite its central location, the Lodge is located on a very quiet and lovely street. I would recommend the Lodge, so long as it remains under its current ownership.

Mic A

2 Thank Joe A
Ivykeeper, Owner at Ivy Lodge, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
You are very kind for taking the time to review us. We appreciate your comments. We are greatful that you share what is good about the Ivy, the home, the location our staff. With a busy season ahead, it is our guests that sustain our positive morale and motivate us to strive for excellence each day. You make our day, our season and our year. You are very kind, we enjoy pleasing people. Have a great Summer, we are totally psyched about the up and coming events of Newport and all the guests we have yet to encounter. Thank you, thank you.

Darlene McKenzie
Proprietor/Innkeeper
Long Island NY
Reviewed 16 April 2012

This is our second time at Ivy Lodge and it just gets better and better, Daryl and Darlene are social and caring inn keepers, full of knowledge about the area, and good for laughs and socialization:) We had the trunk room this time and it was bright and cheery and very spacious, loved every minute and will be back time and time again. And the inn is spotless! Food was delicious and amazing!

Room Tip: The trunk room and victoria have king beds.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dkta
Scotch Plains
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Loved it, loved it, loved it. What more can I say? My husband and I just wanted to get away for a weekend and what a fantastic time we had. The "fill in" innkeepers Durell and Cathy were friendly and helpful. They took care in all they did from breakfast to dinner suggestions and reservations. Make sure you see the mansions, take a ride on Ocean Drive and walk along the cliffs. We also enjoyed just chatting with other guests and playing chess in the sitting room. We can't wait to go back! Thank you Ivy Lodge.

Room Tip: The Turrett Room is beautiful but I think any room in the Ivy Lodge would work for me.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Denise D
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We had an absolutely wonderful time at the Ivy Lodge. The home is beautiful and our room was so elegant. The innkeepers were extremely attentive and friendly. Breakfast was fabulous! The Ivy Lodge is convenient to the mansions, Ocean Drive, and downtown shopping and restaurants. I would definitely return to vist the Ivy Lodge again.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family