“Great location, room was disappointing”
Review of Harborside Inn

Harborside Inn
Ranked #17 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
CT
“Great location, room was disappointing”
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Stayed right after Christmas Day to relax and enjoy Newport . Staff was friendly and room was ok. For the price the value wasn't there. In room 17 the water tank/ or heating system for the whole hotel in right behind the wall next to the stairs. It kept me up all night. Will bring it to the management in the morning when I check out. Staying in a hotel the #1 thing quite room with a good night sleep which did not happen. Now understand I haven't given the staff the opportunity to resolve my concerns. If they do I will revisit and update tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Not room 17.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tomngerry10
atlanticstars1, Manager at Harborside Inn, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Happy New Year, and thank you for your review. We were delighted to have you at the Harborside Inn the day after Christmas. We apologize for the HVAC sounds that you noted, but are grateful that you told us about them. Maintenance immediately addressed the issue, and the staff has been instructed to monitor sound levels closely to prevent a recurrence of that situation.

As we look forward to 2012, we hope that you will return to enjoy our harbor front location in the heart of historic Newport, and the caring, courteous service that is our trademark. Please feel free to contact me directly with any further questions. Wishing you all the best in 2012.

Jane M. Ford
Inn Manager
401-846-6600
reservations@newportharborsideinn.com
www.newportharborsideinn.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Our three-night stay at Harborside paid off in so many ways -- it was great value for the money because we were right in the center of town. They provide a parking spot with the room which otherwise would be impossible because parking spots are so few and so expensive. The breakfast spread is really unbelievable - the chef makes spinach quiche, mushroom quiche, cheese quiche, plus croissants, danish, pancakes -- all fresh and made right there. You eat in a breakfast room overlooking the bay. They have two boats for tours, a sailboat and the Rum Runner, a motorboat. They are happy to give you references to the best restaurants. You really cannot beat the value you get here.

Room Tip: either a view of land or of the harbor
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 August 2011

My fiance and I spent three nights at the Harborside Inn in early June, 2011 during a weekend getaway. Our experience was extremely pleasant from start to finish.

The woman that checked us in was very polite and helpful and we were quickly shown to our room. The rooms themselves are pretty basic, but they are certainly far nicer than any other accommodations that you could find in Newport for a similar price. They were also clean and the beds were very comfortable.

The continental breakfast and afternoon cookies that are served in their dining room were both delicious and very much appreciated.

Having parking space was a great perk and we were within a short walk to all of the downtown attractions.

A quick note...

About 15 minutes after check-in, I turned on the TV and the cable box shot out a spark and then began to smoke. I called the front desk and they apologized profusely and the hotel manager came by our room personally to remedy the situation and to give us some great recommendations on local restaurants. We were given a new cable box within 30 minutes and the problem was solved. Issues like this could arise at any hotel. What separates good establishments from bad ones is the way that these problems are addressed by the staff, and I think that Harborside Inn handled the whole affair spectacularly.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 16 July 2011

My new husband and I went there for our honeymoon, just looking for something nice and relaxing. We got it here! The hotel is very small, and basically just rooms-but we had the bi-level suite with a view of the city, and it was perfect! The staff was great, helping me to re-arrange my daysand were super accomodating. I have already reccomended it to several couples interested in staying in newport without spending ridiculous amounts of money!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 9 July 2011

If you can get a good rate, I'd recommend this place. Most of the staff were pleasant. The room & bath were nice and clean (except for the window blinds). The furnishings are acceptable; though some updating could be done. The balcony is small but can fit 2. The loft is a good set-up for a family with older kids; know that the ceiling upstairs is low in places. Even though the loft is small, it gave my teens their own space and TV. The included breakfast is much more than a continental. Along with the norm, they offered quiche, boiled eggs, and homemade baked goods. We didn't hear any outside noise as other reviewers did, but the noisy plumbing in a nearby room did wake me up one night. The location is wonderful; walking distance to everything except the beach and mansions. To have free parking is key. As long as they keep the rates affordable, the Harborside Inn is a good place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 June 2011

This was our first trip to Newport and I was excited to go. We booked last minute for Memorial day weekend. I was able to secure a water view room. Starting from speaking to the young lady on the phone when making the reservation to Abby who checked us out on Sunday- the staff was pleasant, accommodating and down right friendly! I travel alot for business and personal reasons and the staff was amoungst the friendliest I have encountered. The location is perfect for walking to all different areas. The parking out front is a huge bonus! The home- made continental breakfast on the weekends was home cooked and delicious. It is nice to be able to start the day with a quick OJ- tea- some fresh pastry and some fruit! Drew greeted his guests personally on weekend nights with a nice Wine and Cheese cocktail hour. They served wine form the local winery that is in Newport. Nice added touch and a good plug for them.... Room was decent size, clean and I loved that they had a 'sitting area" so you can sit and chat., play cards or watch TV. The balcony off of room #12 is small- but enough room for the 2 chairs provided to sit and watch the boats. Bathroom had nice products, if you forget any. Also irons, blow dryers and refrigerator are again all added bonuses! There is a kitchenette off of the breakfast room, so if you needed a plate, glass or silverware you could borrow it from there. Also a microwave in the kitchen. Coffee is provided all day as well as a Poland Springs bubbler- again great added touches! Speaking of Poland Springs- Loved the 2 bottles offered in the room daily. All these little small things- free parking- continental breakfast- water and coffee- make the value of this property. Again Drew/Jane/Abby and others went truly out of there way to make our stay very enjoyable. Already ready to book another visit in a few weeks! As with some other reviews- An upgraded TV would be nice and the bedding is not the most comfortable. But these small things are very "forgivable" based on everything else.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
CvB_11, Public Relations Manager at Harborside Inn, responded to this review, 8 June 2011
Dear dphickey,
Hello, thank you for taking the time to write this after your stay with us at the Harborside Inn.
Our staff strives for each guest to feel welcome and comfortable. So nice to have you here, glad you enjoyed your weekend in Newport.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Courtney van Beuren
Atlantic Stars Hotels & Cruises
australia
Reviewed 16 December 2010

I didnt have a great start to my adventure leaving my backpack in the shuttle but management went out of their way to assist me and had it returned to me that evening. She made numerous calls and allayed my fears about its return. Harbour facing room was clean and tidy with t.v. good bath products, and a scrumptious breakfast every morning. Be aware there are very steep stairs to get to your room and that it is an inn. Be prepared to do a lot of walking if you do not have a car however a quick trip to the information office will assist with trolley information. If you want something comfortable and different to run of the mill hotels then I would try the inn. As stated in other reviews the maids did knock on your door very early even though the dnd was placed. I think they need to remember that guests are on holidays and some days we like to lie in.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo