“This is it.”

Ranked #4 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Waltham, MA
“This is it.”
Reviewed 26 April 2010

I have been looking for a long time for a romantic place to escape to with my husband. Mainly, I wanted a fireplace, hot tub, and most of all, a big room. I have tried other B&Bs, but overall, they have failed to satisfy in one way or another. In the Hydrandea House Inn, I have finally found THE place. We stayed in the Hydrangea Suite, which was a huge room on the third floor. I was a little concerned that the room would be dark given the dark green walls, but it wasn't at all, thanks to the windows and skylights. In addition to the fabulous room, you have great hosts, excellent breakfasts, and all that Newport has to offer within walking distance. Despite the misty weather, we enjoyed walks at the Cliff Walk, Sachusett Point Wildlife Refuge and Fort Adams. There is a wine shop two doors down, and a bread and cheese shop just past that. What more do you need! We had great dinners and drinks at Buskers (see separate review.) Newport is a great place to visit in the spring and fall--less crowds and less expensive accomodations. The only downside to our stay was street noise outside. The Hotel Viking is directly across the street, and the sounds of arrivals and departures (voices and car doors) extended into the late night hours. If this kind of thing is likely to keep you awake, ask for a room to the rear of the property. I would highly recommend the Hydrangea House for couples who are looking for a getaway in a luxurious property located in a great city.

1 Thank iwanttogetaway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 April 2010

My husband and I chose to stay at the Hydrangea House Inn for our 25th anniversary trip. We couldn't travel too far from home, so we decided to spend a little more money than we normally would and spend our time in a luxurious inn, because we expected our time to be spent in our room as well as out and about. We read other reviews and we were not disappointed!
Grant and Dennis have thought of everything to make a stay here a truly special time! Compare the value to other hotels/inns of this caliber in Newport, and you will see this as a value! Internet access, parking, breakfast and wine/cheese were all included. Our room was exactly like the photos on the website. It is immaculate! I am an infection preventionist at our local hospital, and cleanliness is VERY important to me! Never had the opportunity to be in a steam shower--this was a wonderful treat! We had dreary weather, but our stay at the Hydrangea House was about as perfect as a relaxing vacation can be! We took our hosts recommendations for dining out, and that too was terrific. We would go back in a heartbeat!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 April 2010

My wife and I stayed here for our 1-year Anniversary, and we were pleasantly surprised with how nice the inn was. I was debating between staying here or at Chanler at Cliff Walk, and ultimately these were my deciding factors on choosing Hydrangea over Chanler:

- Reviews online said service at Chanler was not good.. I believe one tripadvisor review suggested the place was run by college kids..
- Chanler seemed stuffy, pretentious
- I called Chanler to have a few questions answered, and the staff that answered the phone wasn't terribly friendly
- I found out the rooms I was looking at at Chanler were between 250-275 sq ft... For the really expensive price you pay, I'd expect more
- I got the sense that Chanler was more of a tourist trap (especially since on the Cliff Walk).. Hyrdangea seemed more the hidden gem
- The town of Newport is small, so you can get around very easily and in short periods of time; and Hydrangea is in the center of town, making it extra easy to get to any location you want in 5 minutes. Chanler was on the water on the east side of Newport
- I called Hydrangea to ask a few questions, and Grant answered and was extremely helpful and friendly, and very welcoming to staying at the Inn
- The rooms we got at Hydrangea was betweeen 550-600 sq ft. for less $ than the smallest 260 sq ft. room at Chanler
- Hydrangea got fantastic reviews on TripAdvisor

Upon arriving at Hydrangea (we arrived after midnight), we were greeted by Dennis, who was so nice and took us up to our room with a smile on his face, even though we probably kept him up late waiting for us to arrive. My wife and I had been really busy / stressed with work and had been looking forward to this trip for so long.. and that night, we got some of the best sleep of our lives. The bed was heavenly!

Breakfast was served in the morning at 9am.. a medley of cinnamin bananas, french toast, hard boiled eggs, crisp bacon, coffee, orange juice, yogurts, gronola.. The next morning we had raspberry fritters instead of french toast. While it was absolutely wonderful service during breakfast and I enjoyed the food, my wife thought the breakfasts were a little too heavy for her taste. Just don't eat too many sausages or bacon or fritters and you'll probably be okay!

I can't stress enough how friendly the staff were (Grant, Dennis, David). You can't go in imagining Ritz Carlton like service because this Inn is literally run by 2-3 people at a time; but they always have a smile on their face and were extremely helpful while we were there.

Our room was enormous (Chesterfield Suite). My wife and I spent a lot of time sleeping in, reading and relaxing, and the room always felt so warm and inviting. King bed was incredibly comfortable. Bathroom was enormous. Fire place setup was fantastic and as easy as flipping a switch. Had an AC unit in case it got a little warm (which in early April it didn't). In room hot tub actually does accomodate two people; and it was spotless and shining clean when we arrived. Ipod dock played some tunes while we hung out. And the daily servicing was superb.

We stopped by for wine and cheese at 4:30pm one afternoon too, which was hosted by Grant/Dennis. There weren't any other guests there that day for it, but my wife and I had some delicious cheeses and a few glasses of wine. A nice treat that was unexpected.

Also, if you're interested in getting a massage, you can order in! They have services which bring their own massage tables and can do couples massages in your own room. We opted to go to Wavelengths Spa in town to get our massages. They massage itself was fantastic (thanks Steph!); but the facilities are more focused on the hair salon than the spa.. so its loud and cramped upstairs where you wait for your spa treatment... There is no "relaxing" room or quiet waiting room, like most spa-focused places.

Im going to review the restaurants we ate at separately, but each was great: Salvation Cafe, 22 Bowen, Mama Luisa, Portabellas, Flo's.

We did the Cliff Walk one afternoon and we walked by Chanler just to check it out... and I'm personally glad we didn't stay there. To each their own... but that place just gives off a stuffy vibe. I read through the menu at Spiced Pear, and it looked good. But for the price (and given the poor reviews I've read on TripAdvisor), we'll probably never eat there... There is too much other good food in Newport.

We will be back, and we will be staying at Hydrangea House!

Litchfield, CT
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Best B&B I've ever experienced. Inn keepers are tuned in to every detail and with all their fine personal touches. Decorating is so lovely and there is a decor for everyone. Very quiet, immaculate and luxurious. Breakfast was wonderful in such a fine diningroom, and I loved watching Rosie sit at the bay window and watch over the passersby on the street. Fireplace in the room was so romantic and cozy. I can only imagine how beautiful it will be in the spring and summer with the flowers blooming. As I daydream about my stay, it all seems like a wonderful fairytale.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Oro Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 20 February 2010

We chose to stay at Hydrangea House due to the fact that it had rooms available and we liked what folks had to say about it on tripadvisor. We were not disappointed in any way. We didn't realize how well located it is. It is a 5 minute walk to town and is in the historic district. You can easily get to the transportation center or visitor's center for a trolley, to the stores, restaurants or boat trips on Thames or walk to the cinema or to a walking tour or the Touro Synagogue, Art Museum or Library. You can hop in your car and drive straight down to the mansions in 5 minutes. There is parking out back. Now, the rooms, I looked at about 5 of the rooms and they were all quite different from one another. Some were done in a masculine style, some in a feminine style, some bold, some bright, some very elegant. All seemed to have a fireplace and nice showers and jacuzzis. They were all good size rooms and suites. One couple bemoaned the decor of their room and liked ours better. I liked theirs better than ours. Rooms are located higgeldy piggeldy on different floors and I think you may have to go outside for couple of the rooms. Our room and a mate to it on our floor (both on the second floor), were two stories. Each had double jacuzzis in the living room and a fireplace. Ours had a desk in the living room and two faux leather seats and two window seats. The bedroom had a queen 4 poster bed and a dresser. The marble bathroom was a nice size with a toilet room, a single sink and a large shower. It was furnished with Gilcrest and Soames soaps and shampoo/conditioner and leopard spotted robes. Our only complaint was that it faced the back and had a porch overhang and was dark in the living room. There were no views...no complaint. The other room was almost identical to ours in structure, but had a large bay window which overlooked the street and a very large fireplace. It had the same double jacuzzi. It also had chairs and a sofa in the living room. The bedroom had a gorgeous canopied king bed with a desk and the bathroom was tiled. Otherwise, the bathroom was identical. It was a very elegant room. We heard the downside was that it was noiser than our room. Another room we saw was on the top floor and was called the Garden Suite. It was Bright and very large with wicker furniture and a brass bed and skylights and a porch. It also had a jucuzzi, not as large as the other rooms, but the shower could have held 20 people!!! It had a nice seating area outside the room. There was a very nice new room on the main floor that was elegantly furnished and about the same size as the garden suite. It had its own entrance as well as an entrance to the inn from the inside. The inn had a welcoming, but small sitting area and a large and lovely dining room. I found the breakfasts delicious. We had raspberry pancakes one morning, corn frittata another and french toast another. There were always hard boiled eggs, yogurt and granola. Breakfast was served at 9:15. For those who are finicky eaters, there were no choices, as with other inns, so if you want someone to whip you up bacon and eggs, you are out of luck here. There is wine and cheese served beginning at 4:30 for 1 hour and cookies are put out in the evening. There didn't seem to be free access to the kitchen for tea or soft drinks, which is sometimes available at other inns. The innkeepers are very helpful and pleasant. You should take note that while the main floor is at street level, only one room is. Parking out back requires you to have to walk up stairs, so if you have any disabilities, you should just be aware. We had a stay three nights and get a third night free and felt it was an excellent value. I understand others had massages in their rooms, so there were things offered we didn't even try.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank berniss
Mount Kisco, NY
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Stayed overnight in the Chesterfield Suite. Great suite with big jacuzzi tub and huge bathroom! Great service and a great breakfast too. This was during off season so rates were probably considerably less then peak.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
long island, new york
Reviewed 29 December 2009

My husband and I spent a lovely weekend at our favorite B&B in Newport. I have been coming to this wonderful place for 10 years. The innkeepers, Grant and Dennis are very sweet and kind. They makes their guests feel like family. The rooms are beautiful and the breakfasts are always delicious. I look forward to our annual visit, and can't wait to come back. My one request-PLEASE BRING BACK THE YUMMY COOKIES!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple