“Perfect stay in the heart of Newport. Romantic and family friendly at the same time” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Clarkeston

The Clarkeston
Ranked #42 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012 via mobile

We got a very warm welcome and got upgraded to a suite since we were traveling with our two young children. Our room was great and cosy. Got great mexucan restaurant tip two blocks away. The street is beautiful and quiet. Tge breakfast was delicious. We ll recommend this address to anyone going to Newport.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank VeroDupont-Ongun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Fort Edward, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Where to begin?...Check-in was fairly easy. Our credit card had already been charged for the first day weeks earlier when we booked it which we weren't happy about. Our room, the Harry Belmont, was definitely not as nice as the website portrayed it. The walls were all marked up, it was pretty small, the bed was uncomfortable and old we suspected and the pillows were horrible. The bathroom had two sinks which was nice and a jet-tub but we didn't use it because there was mold all along the area where the tub met the wall. The floor along the toilet was filthy compared to the rest of the bathroom floor and the toilet smelled like urine, as did the one tiny garbage basket that was located in the bathroom. When we entered the room all the shades were down which we thought was odd. The shades were old and curled at the edges so that at night we had to change our clothes with the lights off so as not to show ourselves from the edge of the windows where there was no privacy coverage. There are two chairs in the room that are terribly uncomfortable so there was no place to sit comfortably. There is no lobby to the property and check-in is across the street at another B&B owned by the same people. When we raised the shades during the day we saw that the windows were in terrible shape. There was one air conditioner in one of the windows that still didn't cool the room despite running it on high the entire time. The AC was also very loud. There was also a space to the left of the unit that wasn't blocked and any kind of bug or bee could easily come in the room. The carpet in the halls and stairways was old, tired and wrinkled and in need of replacement. An older person could definitely trip on the wrinkles in the carpet. There was no alarm clock or clock of any kind in the room and I saw one ironing board leaning against a wall in the bldg. across the street which I assume was the only one for use by both properties. There was an envelope on a table in the room that had "thank you from housekeeping" on it, supposedly for your tip, which we thought was presumptuous. There was no sign hanging from the door saying "do not disturb" or "make up the room" and the first morning there was a loud knock on the door, waking us up. We said we were still there through the door. We left later and there was no one around to tell that we were leaving. When we returned the room hadn't been touched. There were no clean towels and by then the small garbage container was overflowing. Breakfast was marginal. There was a very small room with about 5 small tables in it. There was a counter with glasses, orange juice, coffee and a basket with bread and english muffins in it next to a toaster. On another small table was a bowl with watermelon in it. We were told to help ourselves. A very unfriendly person told us we could have eggs, pancakes, french toast, bacon or sausage for breakfast. The bacon & sausage was heated in a microwave and the other items were prepared on a small griddle. The entire kitchen was the size of a small closet. The french toast was OK the 1st. day. The 2nd. day I was offered the same options and I chose scrambled eggs and 1 pancake. The eggs were overcooked and tasted like cardboard and the pancake tasted like rubber. The owner dropped by the first day and told the room that the OJ was fresh squeezed but it definitely wasn't. Getting ice for our cooler was a pain. There is no ice machine and when I inquired was told there was ice in the building across the street. They had a refrigerator with standard ice cube trays that had to be cracked by hand without a supply of ready made ice, which I needed to keep my insulin cold. There was one small communal refrigerator on the first floor which I did not feel comfortable leaving my insulin in. We had booked three nights, Fri., Sat. and Sun. Sat. night at dinner my husband "threw his back out" and movement was very difficult and painful. He managed to get up the stairs to the 2nd floor where our room was but had a hard time sleeping on the uncomfortable bed. The next morning he could hardly move and I had breakfast without him. We decided we had no choice but to leave early and head home. Rick, the owner/manager refused to refund the one night we couldn't stay. I could understand if it was busy and they were all booked for Sun. night but he had told us at breakfast the first morning that we were the only ones that would be there Sun. night. We didn't decide to leave because the weather was bad or we just didn't like the place. My husband was in pain and could hardly move. He offered us a gift certificate to return another night at another time but we are a 5 hour drive away and not planning to return for quite a while. Given the condition of the place we definitely would not want to stay there if and when we return to Newport. I would definitely NOT recommend this B&B or any of The Inns of Newport to anyone, given our experience. The only plus we found was the location. It is very close to shops and restaurants.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Michele L
Pawtucket
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at the clarkeston inn this pass weekend for our 5th anniversary, I must say it was very nice, clean, friendly, the breakfast was homemade, the staff is great and the room was very nice and cozy...This was my first time staying at a bed and breakfast inn I highly recommend this location and we plan on staying again this year for more festivals and making it an annual chowder fest trip......

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

The room was very nicely decorated, clean and spacious. We didn't know what to expect for the b'fast, and it ended up exceeding our expectations. Very helpful staff and off street parking. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
U.S.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I am pretty easy to please when it comes to bed and breakfasts. But the Clarkeston was a disappointment, other than the location. When I arrived, proprietors told me I had been upgraded, but it ended up that mean I was in the room closest to the front door (literally two feet from it, because there is no foyer) and I had to hear people coming in into the wee hours of the morning. The room was quite pretty, but had a pretty awful view of the back alley and its trash. Blinds were pulled down when I arrived and when I tried to raise one, it came down in my hand. Heating for the room is controlled from the dining room, obviously because this was once all one big room, but has now been chopped up to make more guest rooms. Inconvenient to have to wander out into the dining room at 2 AM to turn up the heat. Breakfast was short order on an electric griddle, served by a quiet (surly at times) staff member. No herbal tea (for the bed and breakfast set, really?). I suppose my biggest complaint is that the Inn has no sitting room, is basically just the spillover rooms for the Cleveland House next door, so you feel as though you are the poor stepchildren. If what you want is to be left completely to your own devices, in a very pretty room, then this is for you. All in all, a disappointment, and not worth the price.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank CapeTownFriend
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

The Clarkeston was great for a weekend trip! The staff was very helpful and the location was perfect. Our room was spacious for the price and the staff was sure to offer us an upgrade that had recently become available. Reviews we read here left us a little uncertain what to expect at breakfast, but it was great - good options and quality. The chef was attentive, the dining room was very nice and the food was good. The history of the inn was a great starting point for the weekend; I was impressed by the period-appropriate touches. Would definitely recommend/visit again, thanks for a great time!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

Loved the Clarkeston and its location to the shops and restaurants. Easy drive to the mansions. Room was bigger than expected and very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was fabulous with efficient and friendly staff. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple