“The Clarkeston”

Ranked #39 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“The Clarkeston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

Been there from july 9 to 12. We stayed at the Clarkeston on Clarke street. Perfect place to stay. Situated near the Eisenhower Park, everything is a walking distance from the Inn (shops, restaurants, activities). Rick Farrick and his staff are wonderful. Discreet, attentional, and friendly.

The room we stayed in was amazing. Spotless from ceiling to floor. Air conditioned, decorated with vintage furniture, it is beautiful. Included breakfast is a must to start the day (served, made to order in a pretty dinning room). The owner has four (4) buildings on the same street that offer the same amenities except for the dining room( if i'm correct).

They are called Inns of Newport (innsofnewport.com).

Free parking is available either in the back or on the side of the buildings (very convenient).
In our opinion, this one is the nicest of the four buildings. Feel free to write us to know more about our stay in Newport and the Clarkeston..

See pictures.

Room Tip: Ask for the Belmont Room.. the best of the house.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fushi246

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
East Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

My husband and I just had an amazing time at the Clarkeston on June 25, 2012. The staff were very friendly and accommodating- we got a free room upgrade to the Harry Belmont room. The room has the Newport charm we love, dark green walls, king size sleigh bed, antique mirror, etc but modern conveniences like a window A/C (which did a nice job) and large jacuzzi tub. The room was clean, bright (with the shades up) and welcoming. The bed and pillows were surprisingly comfortable and I enjoyed a nice hot bath which never happens at home! The location is also perfect- Clarke St is part of the historic district and is right next to Washington Square (although the street sign was missing it was a right turn following the Pickens theater). And the breakfast in the morning was great!! There was coffee, orange juice, fruit and other items available right away but you could also order from a small menu. I had the french toast and bacon and my husband had the veggie omelet and sausage all of which were delicious. The dining room is small and cozy and we had really nice conversation with some other people staying at the inn. We parked when we checked in and walked all over downtown until it was time to check out. The owner Rick also let us park there past check out so we could continue to enjoy our trip. The Clarkeston is less than a 5 minute walk to shops, bars and restaurants which was a lot of fun since it was our first overnight without the kids in a long time. We really love history and old architecture and enjoyed walking around the back streets. The Clarkeston is across the street from an Artillery museum that is only open certain days of the week so we were unable to check it out this trip but we were able to visit the Newport historical society museum which was just a few walking minutes away. We will definitely stay here again but I would like to stay for more days next time and we will also bring our kids :)

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012 via mobile

We got a very warm welcome and got upgraded to a suite since we were traveling with our two young children. Our room was great and cosy. Got great mexucan restaurant tip two blocks away. The street is beautiful and quiet. Tge breakfast was delicious. We ll recommend this address to anyone going to Newport.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank VeroDupont-Ongun
Fort Edward, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Where to begin?...Check-in was fairly easy. Our credit card had already been charged for the first day weeks earlier when we booked it which we weren't happy about. Our room, the Harry Belmont, was definitely not as nice as the website portrayed it. The walls were all marked up, it was pretty small, the bed was uncomfortable and old we suspected and the pillows were horrible. The bathroom had two sinks which was nice and a jet-tub but we didn't use it because there was mold all along the area where the tub met the wall. The floor along the toilet was filthy compared to the rest of the bathroom floor and the toilet smelled like urine, as did the one tiny garbage basket that was located in the bathroom. When we entered the room all the shades were down which we thought was odd. The shades were old and curled at the edges so that at night we had to change our clothes with the lights off so as not to show ourselves from the edge of the windows where there was no privacy coverage. There are two chairs in the room that are terribly uncomfortable so there was no place to sit comfortably. There is no lobby to the property and check-in is across the street at another B&B owned by the same people. When we raised the shades during the day we saw that the windows were in terrible shape. There was one air conditioner in one of the windows that still didn't cool the room despite running it on high the entire time. The AC was also very loud. There was also a space to the left of the unit that wasn't blocked and any kind of bug or bee could easily come in the room. The carpet in the halls and stairways was old, tired and wrinkled and in need of replacement. An older person could definitely trip on the wrinkles in the carpet. There was no alarm clock or clock of any kind in the room and I saw one ironing board leaning against a wall in the bldg. across the street which I assume was the only one for use by both properties. There was an envelope on a table in the room that had "thank you from housekeeping" on it, supposedly for your tip, which we thought was presumptuous. There was no sign hanging from the door saying "do not disturb" or "make up the room" and the first morning there was a loud knock on the door, waking us up. We said we were still there through the door. We left later and there was no one around to tell that we were leaving. When we returned the room hadn't been touched. There were no clean towels and by then the small garbage container was overflowing. Breakfast was marginal. There was a very small room with about 5 small tables in it. There was a counter with glasses, orange juice, coffee and a basket with bread and english muffins in it next to a toaster. On another small table was a bowl with watermelon in it. We were told to help ourselves. A very unfriendly person told us we could have eggs, pancakes, french toast, bacon or sausage for breakfast. The bacon & sausage was heated in a microwave and the other items were prepared on a small griddle. The entire kitchen was the size of a small closet. The french toast was OK the 1st. day. The 2nd. day I was offered the same options and I chose scrambled eggs and 1 pancake. The eggs were overcooked and tasted like cardboard and the pancake tasted like rubber. The owner dropped by the first day and told the room that the OJ was fresh squeezed but it definitely wasn't. Getting ice for our cooler was a pain. There is no ice machine and when I inquired was told there was ice in the building across the street. They had a refrigerator with standard ice cube trays that had to be cracked by hand without a supply of ready made ice, which I needed to keep my insulin cold. There was one small communal refrigerator on the first floor which I did not feel comfortable leaving my insulin in. We had booked three nights, Fri., Sat. and Sun. Sat. night at dinner my husband "threw his back out" and movement was very difficult and painful. He managed to get up the stairs to the 2nd floor where our room was but had a hard time sleeping on the uncomfortable bed. The next morning he could hardly move and I had breakfast without him. We decided we had no choice but to leave early and head home. Rick, the owner/manager refused to refund the one night we couldn't stay. I could understand if it was busy and they were all booked for Sun. night but he had told us at breakfast the first morning that we were the only ones that would be there Sun. night. We didn't decide to leave because the weather was bad or we just didn't like the place. My husband was in pain and could hardly move. He offered us a gift certificate to return another night at another time but we are a 5 hour drive away and not planning to return for quite a while. Given the condition of the place we definitely would not want to stay there if and when we return to Newport. I would definitely NOT recommend this B&B or any of The Inns of Newport to anyone, given our experience. The only plus we found was the location. It is very close to shops and restaurants.

4 Thank Michele L
Pawtucket
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at the clarkeston inn this pass weekend for our 5th anniversary, I must say it was very nice, clean, friendly, the breakfast was homemade, the staff is great and the room was very nice and cozy...This was my first time staying at a bed and breakfast inn I highly recommend this location and we plan on staying again this year for more festivals and making it an annual chowder fest trip......

Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

The room was very nicely decorated, clean and spacious. We didn't know what to expect for the b'fast, and it ended up exceeding our expectations. Very helpful staff and off street parking. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
U.S.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I am pretty easy to please when it comes to bed and breakfasts. But the Clarkeston was a disappointment, other than the location. When I arrived, proprietors told me I had been upgraded, but it ended up that mean I was in the room closest to the front door (literally two feet from it, because there is no foyer) and I had to hear people coming in into the wee hours of the morning. The room was quite pretty, but had a pretty awful view of the back alley and its trash. Blinds were pulled down when I arrived and when I tried to raise one, it came down in my hand. Heating for the room is controlled from the dining room, obviously because this was once all one big room, but has now been chopped up to make more guest rooms. Inconvenient to have to wander out into the dining room at 2 AM to turn up the heat. Breakfast was short order on an electric griddle, served by a quiet (surly at times) staff member. No herbal tea (for the bed and breakfast set, really?). I suppose my biggest complaint is that the Inn has no sitting room, is basically just the spillover rooms for the Cleveland House next door, so you feel as though you are the poor stepchildren. If what you want is to be left completely to your own devices, in a very pretty room, then this is for you. All in all, a disappointment, and not worth the price.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo