“Time Well Spent”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Gardenview Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #40 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Recently my husband, myself, my daughter, son-in-law and youngest grandson had the pleasure of staying at the Gardenview Bed and Breakfast as we attended a family wedding in Newport. The Proprietor, Mary Fitzgerald, was a warm and welcoming host. The bed and breakfast had two beautiful bedrooms with large bathrooms as well as lots of room to get comfortable. Mary's breakfast both days was outstanding consisting of fruit, yogart, homemade pancakes, french toast and bacon. On hand was plenty of coffee and a variety of juice continually arriving. On Sunday, Mary gave us the choice of strawberry, blueberry, chocolate chip or coconut pancakes, or any mixture of the ingredients. The best choice was my daughter's chocolate chip and coconut - I wasn't sure but I was wrong! They were hands down the best combination I had ever tasted.

Mary provided us with easy routes around the Newport area as traffic was busy and suggested Scales for dinner as we arrived on Friday night. Mary is a warm and wonderful person who cares greatly on the experience of each of her guests. Her gardens are beautiful with flowers everywhere.

A very wonderful experience with our family made 110% better staying with Mary!

Kathy O'Keefe
Scituate, MA

Room Tip: Upstairs room is large with many windows for slight breezes. Downstairs room opens to the garden pa...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Mary our friendly host was very comforting from beginning to end. Breakfast is served around 8:30-9:30. Very nice table served w/ freshly squeezed OJ, baked scones right out of the oven, eggs, pancakes made to your exact preference and choice. Guys choice: hard to please when it comes to food and home run. Relax in the backyard garden and watch the birds eat of the feeders or just admire the many different variety of flowers and plants in the garden. Walk to town is about 18 min, very easy as 30yr/m and 36yr/f had no difficult at all -- just bring a tiny flashlight if you expect to walk back after sunset or at dark. Large park, tennis court, basketball and swings are 3 min walk away. The bathroom is relaxing, take shower or bath in med. size tub. Price is much cheaper than others as July is expensive elsewhere when you include breakfast and other costs. 2 rooms only available (King or Queen) so stay will be peaceful and romantic. Except that walls are thin, so if you are to watch TV at night, better lower the volume or expect someone from the other room to come knocking... Have it your way, and make it count.

Room Tip: No fitness center and no swimming pool -- this is only a bed and breakfast
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My husband and I spent our first wedding anniversary at Mary's bed and breakfast. Her home was absolutely fantastic! The decor was perfect- so cute and cozy! We stayed in her downstairs room which opened onto the beautiful garden in the backyard. The room was spacious, clean and so well decorated! Mary was an absolute delight! We had never stayed at a bed and breakfast before so we were a bit weary about staying in someone's home, but she made us feel completely wonderful! I couldn't get enough of her bubbly personality and knowledge of the area!

The location is perfect as well! We walked, and rode our bikes, into town. Gardenview is within a half-mile from the Breakers mansion, and 1.5 miles from the adorable town.

We had an excellent time and will definitely return to Gardenview the next time we make it to Newport!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel Z
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This was my 3rd trip so far to Newport, and also the 3rd B&B that I have stayed in. I wanted to return to Newport for a romantic & fun getaway to celebrate my new relationship with "Justin" (Mary, an inside joke between us!). It was both of our decisions to book a 2-night stay at the Gardenview, based on availability, room description, location, price and reviews.

Upon arrival, we received a friendly welcome from Mary, the owner/ innkeeper of the property. Our initial feel of the place is that it's very traditional, quaint, pretty, neat and clean! We certainly enjoyed our Sun-Lit suite and all of its amenity offerred. We also enjoy Mary's healthy and delicious breakfast very much! I couldn't get enough of her fresh squeezed O.J.

It was my boyfriend's 1st visit to a B&B and Newport and to my surprise he really enjoyed overall experience in Newport while staying at the Gardenview! We're already talking about a return visit and stay in late April of 2013 to celebrate our 1 YR <<fingers crossed>>

Thank you so much for all your hospitality, Mary! Take a good care of Fritzie (spelling?)
SEE YOU BOTH AGAIN ...

Bess & "Justin"
Farmington Valley, CT

Room Tip: The Sun-Lit Suite :: a nice spacious accommodation with canopy king-sized bed, Whirpool tub w/ remov...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Mary is one of the sweetest B&B owners we've ever come across. Sure, she's a little too talkative, but she tries oh-so-hard to provide a tasty breakfast and make sure your stay is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. With how expensive Newport is, we found Gardenview to be excellent value, particularly considering its location just a short drive from the beach and mansions as well as the downtown area. We stayed in the downstairs' room which was clean and roomy, perfect for our purposes. And now Mary has wireless interest - an unexpected surprise! We will certainly return on a future trip to Newport.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2012

My husband and I spent an extra long weekend in Newport in June. We wanted to find a place that has great food and is reasonably priced. We found it in Gardenview B&B. At each of the breakfasts there were scones and granola with yogurt in addition to the main meal. My favorite was the french toast made with a sweet bread. It was amazing. She also offered fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee, tea and water. Delicious!!

Mary is very friendly and knowledgeable about Newport and directed us to some great things to do. She also offered us a discount for the mansion tours, which was an unexpected perk. The location was good. It was a walkable distance to most everywhere we wanted to go, but if the weather had been warmer, we probably would have wanted to take a bike or car.

We stayed in the Garden Room on the first floor. It was nice. My husband slept really well, but I had a hard time sleeping - but that probably had more to do with my pregnancy than the bed though.

If we return to Newport, we would stay there again!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2012

My husband and I went to Newport for a long weekend to celebrate my birthday. We stayed in the Sun-Lit suite on the second floor - huge, airy, and private wih lovely antiques and many comfortable touches - a chaise lounge by the open widow overlooking the garden, bottled water awaiting us in the little hidden fridge, chocolate truffles in a bowl on a dresser...

Because it is located off the beaten path, it is quiet there, but still an easy walk to the Thames Street dining and shopping area and the waterfront. The owner, Mary Fitzgerald, is friendly and hospitable, with a warm and welcoming manner and in-depth knowledge of Newport, since she is a native. She was able to provide us with a special deal on Mansion tickets, which we were glad to use. Her breakfasts were delicious, too.

Bottom line, I can't see any reason to stay anywhere else while visiting Newport. If I were to return there, I would head straight for the Gardenview B&B and that Sun-Lit suite!

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms at this facility - actually, this is another selling point! We did not see t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple