“Very pleasant experience”

Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Newport
home
“Very pleasant experience”
Reviewed 6 October 2009

We stayed in the old mansion portion of the hotel & it was a very lovely place for our one night stay in Newport. This was a last minute decision, which was recommended by a former employee of theirs in a Boston hotel. The only room available was one with a bathroom down the hall, although it was a private bath. Being that it was an old mansion I guess this is the only way they could do this. I was hesitant at first, but it really wasn't a problem at all. Bathrobes were provided and we never did run into anyone in the small hallway on the way to our bath room. A wedding was going on and we had to sign a waiver that we knew there would be noise, but we never heard anything and we were the closest room to the stairway. I don't believe they have an elevator, but if you don't mind walking a couple flights (which I prefer to do anyway, it was just fine. The room was very nice, the restaurant was very nice (although we ended up eating at the bar), and we enjoyed the food and beverage. They will even deliver your continental breakfast to your room in the morning (although only until 8:30am) The room itself could have been better lit, it was a bit dark. It is a drive into town, but was a beautiful location. Would definately consider staying here again:-)

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 September 2009

We stayed at Oceancliff I and II Sept 12-18/2009 as part of a timeshare exchange. We were in unit P31. This is a very spacious 1 bedroom unit with 2 bathrooms. There is a view from the southwestern point of Newport. We saw cruise ships and yachts go by. We are directly across the lawn from Oceancliff Resort where they hold weddings. I can see the unit being noisy if the weather was warm and the wedding guests came outside late at night. We did not have this problem since it was quite cool at night.

Our unit seemed newly renovated and was more than adequate for the two of us. We were generally happy with everything. The only exception was the gas fireplace which smelled of natural gas even when the pilot light was lit. When we called front desk, they did not have another room for us to move into nor had anyone who could investigate the problem. We settled for the quick fix of having someone come and shut off the fireplace all together. This did the job. Since it was still warm in September, we did not need the fireplace. If this were in the winter, I would have been upset of not having a working fireplace.

We used the swimming pool which was actually nicer than it looked from the outside. It’s an indoor pool, enclosed in plexiglass. It looked newly tiled and finished. We used the kitchen for breakfast and for eating take-out. If we had to cook, it would have been difficult without proper knives or any salt/pepper. Overall, we were happy with our stay.

We were surprised that we were so close to Castle Hill Inn & Resort (a Relais and Chateaux property) which charges very high room rates. Although Oceancliff does not have the same calibre of furnishings and services, we are roughly seeing the same view in roughly the same secluded/relaxing environment. The weather was too cold anyway to take advantage of Castle Hill’s private beach. Oceancliff had an indoor pool which Castle Hill does not. So I would say Oceancliff is a bargain.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 July 2009

We booked our wedding at this place. The location is very nice. However our experience was less than expected. We met with a very nice wedding coordinator. She walked us through everything, and at the end we did have an extra charge for the location. I was a little taken back because it was at the last minute after she realized we were ready to book. She tells us she will be there on the weddind day. Wedding day comes, it's over cast in newport. This is expected in Newport and not the Ocean cliff's fault. She was only there for the beggining and left. She left this punk in charge who made a joke out of everything. We had a desert spread to be setup at the end of the reception. This moron brings out the dessert during dinner before they even served the wedding cake. He got everything wrong. After the wedding when I called to discuss this with them, it became the old leave a message game. Than we get an invoice for extra charges. I called and spoke to accounting, they tell me it was because there were extra guests. No, we actually had less guests than we expected and had paid for at well over $200 a plate. After a number of calls they tell me it was for the people who worked at the wedding (photographer, video, etc). I had a prepaid number of dinners paid for them. But they said they had brought extra people. I told them I only authorized a specific number. Why did they give out extra meals? They sent the bill for collection within a week or so. I than realized this is part of the scam with these people. It really is too bad because it is a great location. The location is great, but the staff is not up to par with the price. For this kind of money they have to get things right, because at a wedding, once you screw up, it's too late to fix it.
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE FOR A WEDDING!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
9 Thank cocomicas
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 July 2009

We had our wedding at OceanCliff in June and it was perfect. The staff went out of their way to make sure everything went smoothly and I have heard nothing but compliments from all of our guests. I even had my own server who was never in the way but always seemed to be right there the moment I need anything, even before I realized I needed it. The food was excellent and the view is incredibly beautiful. I highly recommend OceanCliff for anyone's wedding. All the vendorsthey recommended were just as amazing as well, with one exception. The only negative of the night was our band, Synergy. To say we were dissapointed is an understatement. They didn't play what they were supposed to play, tried to cut our choreographed first dance short (claiming to have forgotten it was choreographed) played Celebration (which was on our do not play list) TWICE. and they were uncomfortably loud, didn't tone it down even though they were asked to repeatedly and took numerous breaks just letting a cd play. And we were supposed to have a saxaphone player but there wasn't one. I would have given OceanCliff the highest rating but because the band was their recommendation it reflects a little on them as well.

• Stayed June 2009
Boston
Reviewed 19 December 2008

I scheduled a tour at Oceancliff as a potential site for my wedding reception. The day before my appointment, I read some of the reviews on this page, including the one about the $9000 rental fee. I was very put-off and disappointed after reading these reviews. However, my fiance and I visited Oceancliff anyway, and discovered they are a very reasonable site and willing to accommodate a range of budgets. The $9000 fee is true, if you want a Saturday night wedding in peak season. There are many other options for much less money. There are also food/ beverage purchase minimums, as many other reception sites require as well. They also tell you up front about the non-refundable deposit and payment schedule, so there are no surprises about canceling your wedding and not getting your money back as one reviewer implied (of course sites need to cover themselves, this is not an uncommon practice). After I crunched some numbers, this site is within range of what you will pay at many other reception sites all over New England, and you're getting ocean views in lively Newport. If anything, this place is a tremendous deal for what you get, especially compared to other Newport venues. I just wanted to post a positive review and encourage any other bride-to-be who is considering this place that it is well worth a look.

Stayed October 2008
5 Thank stoutbuddy
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at this resort for the first time last weekend. We were so glad we didn't stay somewhere in town because this hotel lies on a cliff overlooking the ocean and it was so peaceful and quiet there. Every room has a view of the ocean. We had a suite which had a separate bedroom, a full kitchen with all the amenities for stove-top cooking, fridge, utensils, plates, etc., two bathrooms, two TVs and a living room area with fireplace and only minutes from downtown Newport. I have to mention this... When we got back from Newport, the following day I realized I didn't have my diamond necklace and panicked. I immediately called the hotel and was told that they would look for it. Unbelievably, I got a call back within a half hour letting me know that they found my necklace in the room. They went out of their way to take it to the post office and mail it back to me overnight. I couldn't believe it, the honesty mainly, and the willingness to package it and send it off to me. I was truly grateful for all that the staff did, a rarity for sure!

• Liked — The view of the ocean and the peaceful surroundings
  • Disliked — Our bedroom was directly below the second floor hallway and we could hear people walking
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Onmybreak
Connecticut
Reviewed 16 July 2008

My husband and I celebrated our wedding reception at Oceancliff in March 2008. WOW! What an amazing experience. We can't say enough positive things about Oceancliff and their wonderful staff. From start to finish they made us feel welcome and comfortable during the planning process. The staff is kind, curteous and so friendly. Our wedding party and out of town guests enjoyed the accomodations and all commented on what a beautiful setting the hotel is located on. They also did not disappoint with the food and service during our wedding. They really payed attention to details and treated us and our guests like royalty. We have friends that already want to duplicate our wedding day and book with Oceancliff. It is a special place.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)