OceanCliff Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina(Newport)(Great Value!)
US$239
  • Pool
Mill Street Inn(Newport)(Great Value!)
US$259
The Attwater(Newport)(Great Value!)
US$247
Hotels.com
Gurney's Newport Resort & Marina(Newport)(Great Value!)
US$277
Grace Vanderbilt(Newport)
US$673
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewsocean cliffsafari roomnarragansett bayporch overlooking the waterdaughter's weddingbed mattressevent staffwedding venuecontinental breakfasthotel is beautifulmy husband and itimeshareguestscondocotmicrowavelawn
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 October 2010

I am a seasoned traveller. This facility was absolutely fine. Staff was accommodating, food good, and my room (despite view of the AC unit) was good. A very relaxing place with some history. I recommend it for business or pleasure or small conferences.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank channelhound
Reviewed 8 April 2010

My parents and I stayed in a 1-BR/2-BA (unit #15). The previous poster did an excellent job of describing the property and provisions in the kitchen, and I was able to take a lot of items with me to supplement the kitchen items. I took a crock pot, bread knife, placemats, salt/pepper/sugar, dish towel/cloth and a few other serving items. The kitchen has very little counter space, so cooking with someone requires some choreography. But overall, it's doable. Internet is $5/day or $25/week.
The Ocean Cliff hotel is a 2-minute walk from the condos, lovely and historic, and the views from the terrace are fabulous.
The office staff is very helpful and accommodating. There are grills and picnic tables, and the pool is enclosed and nice. The sleep sofa in the living room is really NOT comfortable--I took a featherbed with me (driving has it's advantages!)
The location is very good--only 10 minutes from grocery store, laudrymat, mansions and visitors center. The one thing lacking here was a laundry or washer/dryer in the unit.
The mansions are fantastic, but I would recommend doing only two in a day because they are overwhelming! The term "conspicuous consumption" was coined to apply to the Gilded Age when these were built. I would definately recommend the "behind the scenes tour" at the Elms. The trolley from the Visitors Center is on/off and $5 for the day, although there was plenty of parking at the mansions when we were there (probably not the case in "high season.) The Cliff Walk is lovely and relaxing. If you have time to go to Providence (about 40 minutes away) and enjoy cooking, go to the Culinary Museum on the campus of Johnson and Wales (exit 18 from 95N, then 1A South for about a mile.)
If I return to Newport for the Christmas decorations in the mansions, I will try to stay here again.

Stayed: April 2010
3  Thank cookswithpassion
Reviewed 1 March 2010

If you could avoid Oceancliff I would highly recommend you do so. They are some of the most unprofessional people we have ever had to deal with. They will never respond to your needs and never return your calls when expressing your concerns to finalize details. Maybe their Newport noses are to far up in the air to pay attention to the people who help pay their checks.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TravelWizard034
Reviewed 2 November 2009

We stayed here for a Wedding this past Sept. When we arrived the room was freezing cold and was the smallest hotel room I had ever seen ( I can't believe they would even rent a room like this out). We did not even have space for our luggage for an overnight stay. The staff was incredibly rude to us and to top it off we paid over $300 per night. What a rip off !!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AwfulTrip
Reviewed 30 October 2009

Wedding in Newport at Ocean Cliff was a very pleasant experience. The staff was very accomodating and professional.
from the moment we decided to proceed with teh event, they provided much help and relieved us of stress!
The vendors they work with are Pros as well and the event went without a hitch as they are used to work together, removing opportunities for glitches.
They allowed us to provide our own wine rather than the house bubbly (pretty poor).
The staff worked really hard to take care of the details and made it a special event with impressed many of the guests.
Even though the weather did not cooperate, we were able to take advantage of the terrace overlooking the bay. the view from the hotel is breathtaking and very inspiring.

• Stayed: October 2009