“Great accomodations, Poor customer service”

Newport Bay Club & Hotel
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I recently stayed at the Newport Bay Club & Hotel with a group of friends for a weekend stay in Newport. Positives: Townhouses were beautiful and able to accomodate our large group at a reasonable rate. The views from our rooms were beautiful. NEGATIVES: The hotel staff was rude and unprofessional every time we interacted with them. There was no wi-fi even though the website advertises free wi-fi access. The extra pillows in the closet had hair all over them as if they had not been washed. Overall- stay somewhere else unless you are travelling with a large group.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Angelique C

Reviewed 13 July 2013

The Newport Bay Club is an outstanding location for just about anything you want to do in Newport. We checked in for one night for our anniversary. Location makes it ideal for chekcing out the different restaurant and bars in downtown. Neely was excellent at the Front Desk. Extremely helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paula3kids
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This is how my stay began: I arrived and stood at an empty front desk. A woman from the office adjacent to the desk yelled, "ya.. what do you want?!" I was confused since i didnt think she could possibly be talking to a guest about to check in, so i continued to stand there and she yelled again "ya..do you want something?!" Seriously? It wasnt until i said i was checking in until she came to the desk (seeming very annoyed at the effort she had to make to get up from her chair). The service did not get any better -- the staff was extremely rude despite the fact they are in the hospitality industry.

I had a wonderful time in Newport, but it was not enhanced by our hotel stay. The one saving grace of this hotel is its location. Walking distance to everything in the center of town, close to shops dining, etc.

The hotel is in serious need of updating. For the price, you might expect the hallways to be pleasant or the beds to be comfortable. Very minimal superficial upgrades could make this hotel seem more worth the money. The space of the rooms was adequate and the kitchenette was a nice addition to the space, but i would never consider it "luxurious" by any means..maybe it was in 1981.

The front desk told us that we should keep our keys away from our cell phones, but did not explain that if we had a key anywhere near our wallet or in the same bag as our phone / credit cards it would deactivate. We made sure to never let the key touch the cell phones and kept them in seperate pockets, but without fail the keys would deactivate almost every time we left our room. Whenever we went to the front desk to reactivate our key, the staff acted extremely put off, like the 30 second task to re-swipe the card was an enormous inconvenience. To make things even worse, the desk closes from the hours of 12am to 8am, so don't plan on coming back after 12, or you'll need to call the security guard to let you in and give you a new key.

Also the "complimentary breakfast" was a joke, and runs out almost immediately

I am excited to visit newport again, but will not be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank acapla
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Stayed here for the first time with my husband just last night.

The good: the location is great & the rooms are clean. We stayed in a suite which was newly renovated. It provided us with a nice kitchenette (mini fridge, dishwasher, microwave, toaster & settings for 6) a dining room table, pull out couch, 2 chairs and a separate bedroom with a queen bed. The bathroom was nice and updated as well- sink area was a tad small but it worked. The parking was free in a small secure lot around the side of the building. Free parking in Newport is unheard of, even in the off season. There is a small gym located next to the coffee shop. Free breakfast in the morning starting at 8. ( muffins, Danish, fruit & yogurt) we were told its first come first serve so even though the breakfast hours are 8-10; front desk told us it could be gone by 8:30 so get there early if you want it.

The bad: the front desk staff is extremely rude and they should not be working with customers. Other have stated how horrible the staff is so I'm not sure why management doesn't read these comments and clean house. The walls are paper thin. We were on the third floor and heard every conversation from the rooms on each side of us but also above us. That was the worst- it was as if they were in our room. We tried to take a rest before dinner and imstead listened to the people above is sing at the top of their lungs for 2 hours. I did go to the desk to complain (twice) but found no one there. Again as others mentioned, the bar in the basement has bands each weekend which you can hear in the rooms. They play until 1am- we didn't get back to our room until 12:30am but it was still annoying to hear music while we tried to sleep. I can't imagine trying to go to bed at a normal hour OR being on the first floor closet to the music.

Overall: I would return to the hotel but it wouldn't be my first choice. Probably more like my 4th because Newport has some great hotels to chose from (Viking being my favorite). If your looking for a relaxing stay this isn't your hotel. The noise is just too much to bear. The man at the front did take a few dollars off my bill when I told him how loud it was for us and that we got little sleep. Also note, there is no front desk staff after midnight. You need to call security for assistance.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Brittney B
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Fabulous location, free parking, free Internet, kitchens, living rooms, dining area, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths. Our housekeepers Leah & Robin were charming, helpful & conscientious. However the front desk help needs "help," in particular Ramona. I called the front desk to see if we could extend our 2 night stay to 5 nights. After much hemming & hawing she managed to say we could, but the last 2 nights we had to move to a room across the hall. I asked if we could just stay in the same room. I was told no. I asked if we could move our belongings after the new room was vacated. Absolutely not. I was told under no circumstances could any of our things go into the new room until it was cleaned. I talked to an employee the next AM & was told it would be no problem for the housekeepers if we moved our things over. Following Ramona's instructions, we packed up two rooms worth of stuff on Friday AM. Then I ran into the housekeeping manager in the hall. Asked him if our new room was available & he went to the front desk to check. The housekeeping manager came back & told me we didn't have to move. He was very apologetic that we hadn't been notified. I believe Ramona could have made an effort to solve our problem in the first place, rather than being unaccomodating & inflexible. By her attitude & tone of voice, it was an obvious assertion of power, with no interest in accommodating me, the customer. I am accustomed to better customer service.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Roberta V
Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

If you like to be at The center of things ,this is your place..
Clean, spacious , well appointed rooms ,a good choice,only con would be the club located in the basement..
Would stay again and will recommend

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Kinsellast
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The Newport Bay Club is an outstanding location for just about anything you want to do in Newport. The rooms are spacious with views of the water or the city and include a mini fridge and microwave. It is a short walk to the sites, restaurants and shops down town. The only negative was the noise late at night when they have entertainment in the Rhino, a bar in the lower level of the complex. It was very loud. If you are prepared for that, it is a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple