“Too Many Other Great Places-DO NOT Select This One”

Newport Bay Club & Hotel
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 8 July 2009

My plans changed which required my going to Newport earlier than expected. I needed a room for the 4th of July, and started calling the morning of. Most places were booked, as was the HYDRANGEA HOUSE INN where I was staying the next couple of nights (see my very favorable TripAdvisor review). We got the last room here, and I now see why. If you are looking for a unit that has a kitchen, this might be the place for you. The kitchenette looks new. As does the bathroom of the unit we stayed in, No. 204. However, all else is lacking...severly! The mattress was thin and cheap, the walls barely spackled over above the headboard and re-painted sloppily. Furniture looked as though it was purchased at a warehouse in the 70's. There is space here-the bedroom is separate-but for what you get the price should be much, much lower. I think the owners must feel location is worth the extra $175 or so that it is overpriced. Our problem was with the A/C, and lack thereof. If we had been on a higher floor, and had it not been the 4th, I might have considered opening the windows to let in the cool breezes. However, I was concerned noise from revelers below would keep us awake. There were no screens in two of the three windows, and one would not stay open in its own. I used the Holy Bible to prop the one in the bedroom open the next morning, when the thermostat read 80 degrees. The A/C had been tripped off when we arrived in the early evening....so I found the circuit breaker and reset it. I thought when we came in from watching the fireworks from the 3rd floor balcony (the ONLY positive from my experience) around 10:30pm it would take a bit to cool down, but it never did. When I explained the problem the following morning to the manager, he offered me a $50 credit. My response was, "$50 on a $299 room, how about $75?" He agreed. I should have asked for the room at half price! Treat yourself to a nice B&B and forget about the hotel experience in this charming location!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank nlpNorthernNJ

Reviewed 1 July 2009

We stayed for one night in a one-bedroom unit that looks like something out of the 70s... the living room furniture is old and worn and the carpeting leaves that musty-odour in the unit. Luckily the windows were able to be opened to let in some outdoor air. The bathroom seems to be updated and the kitchen is in full working order. Interestingly, there is no tv in the bedroom (this unit is set up for 4 people). The location of the hotel is great, but the front desk location is bizarre as you stand to check in, another door may open into you. There is no pool and the fitness center was closed.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2009

I went for an overnight stay in Newport with my wife, my brother, and his wife. We were impressed with the room and the location of the hotel. All was great until we were woken up around 7am the next morning by carpenters drilling, sawing, and banging on the room/floor above us. There was actually plaster from the ceiling falling down on my wife and I in bed because the banging/vibration was so intense! When we called down to the front desk to inform them of this incident (because there's no way a hotel would purposely have people working on the rooms at 7am, right???), we were told "that's when they start." Can you believe this? So, the drilling, banging, etc. continued for the next two hours until we checked out. When we informed the front desk manager of our displeasure with our experience, he was rude and defensive. He actually had the gall to tell us that while if he were in our shoes and had the same experience he might also be dissatisfied with his experience, but he'd have "more tact" in the way he would have communicated to the hotel staff. This hotel is in a fantastic location in the heart of Thames St. in Newport and the rooms are very nicely appointed. Just cross your fingers that they aren’t doing construction on the rooms around you when you go there; because, as told to us by the front desk manager, they start their work in the morning. Oh yes, one more thing – if this happens and you do complain to the front desk after getting woken up in the morning by workers hammering and drilling, please be sure you’re very polite and courteous (even though you’re understandably tired and irritated) when you do complain because the front desk manager does not take kindly to paying customers without proper “tact”. With just a little empathy and understanding by the front desk manager, this bad experience could have been turned around into a positive or at least neutral experience, but as a result of his defensiveness and arrogance, it was turned into the worst hotel experience of my life – and I travel often for business and pleasure.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lordjeff
Reviewed 12 January 2009

Location is wonderful and the view of the ice skating rink is lovely. The actual room was extremely worn down. The jacuzzi tub was a joke- we pressed the buttons and the buttons fell off of the wall, it never worked!
so we settled for warm water with no jets, and the old creepy man who worked there knocked on the door and said it was LEAKING into the room below- and we needed to use the tub/ sink minimally to prevent flooding downstairs... HAHA! The remote did not work so the TV was pretty useless, and the staff was rude!
Worst hotel experience don't let the exterior or the location fool you, this place is awful.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank britt0113
Reviewed 29 December 2008

This hotel was a great choice! We stayed for 5 nights and had a terrific experience. The hotel is clean with very spacious suites; you feel like you're at home and thus much better than a standard hotel room. Its in a perfect location right in the heart of Newport's downtown harbor district. You can walk to everything. We definitelty recommend this as a great place to stay! Oh, one of the other best features is that it is priced well below its competitors in town.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 2 September 2008

Ok, the location is great but... The room was big but felt a little old and worn. The bathroom with the jacuzzi was probably meant to feel cozy but instead it felt dark and cramped. The breakfast was nothing but muffins wrapped in plastic and coffe.

Now for the real dealbreaker, when checking in we were told $199 a night, when checking out we were presented to a bill with $299 a night. When complaining we were told that the listprice were $336 and that we should be happy with the discount. We did not accept this and after a rather unpleasant discussion we were given the $199 rate. Back home we checked the online rates on the hotels webpage and found the nondiscounted rate of $167. What a ripp-off!

Sadly, we won't be going back to a place that we feelt were trying to cheat us.

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 20 April 2008

This was our 3rd stay at this hotel; the last time was about 10 years ago. The place has gone downhill. Very dated furnishings, the mattress is bargain basement cheap, the townhouse we stayed in was rather dirty, and despite the 'non-smoking hotel' description, people DO smoke here. Every time I attempted to sit outside on one of the 2 balconies that came with our room, the people next door were out on their balcony smoking cigars and cigarettes. I couldn't even breathe! The view was awesome, but we couldn't enjoy it. Little if any cleaning is done to the balconies and the seagull droppings were everywhere, as was algae buildup on the trex decking. Lots of cig butts on my balcony too. Parking is free, unlike some Newport hotels... but I think I'll pay for parking from now on. For the price we paid for 2 nights ($541 w/tax in April!) I made a huge mistake.

I peeked into the Ballard room, where the continental breakfast is served and the leftovers from the morning were still there at 9 pm; so instead we ate out at restaurants for all of our meals. We tried 2 places for breakfasts: Gary's Handy Lunch and Benjamin's. Gary's was fine for a small diner; all locals, inexpensive and food was satisfying. Benjamin's is a nice place, a little expensive for breakfast, but the servings were enormous. Go with a big appetite, because it's hard to finish all that comes with your breakfast! Delicious!

Included in our 2 night package was an $80 gift certificate to The Mooring Restaurant, a lovely restaurant on the water a very short walk from the hotel. However, the glass my drink came in had red lipstick on it and I don't wear lipstick. My water glass also had lip marks on it. yuk. The food was wonderful, though. I highly recommend the seafood scampi, the calamari, and the scallop chowder.

The second night we ate at Salas, next door. Decent meal, not too expensive, depending on what you order, but LOUD! No quite dinner at this place. We knew what to expect because we've eaten there every time we've been to Newport, and we probably will continue to eat there, but know that it's a very noisy place and if you want quiet, go elsewhere. It's a family restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple