My plans changed which required my going to Newport earlier than expected. I needed a room for the 4th of July, and started calling the morning of. Most places were booked, as was the HYDRANGEA HOUSE INN where I was staying the next couple of nights (see my very favorable TripAdvisor review). We got the last room here, and I now see why. If you are looking for a unit that has a kitchen, this might be the place for you. The kitchenette looks new. As does the bathroom of the unit we stayed in, No. 204. However, all else is lacking...severly! The mattress was thin and cheap, the walls barely spackled over above the headboard and re-painted sloppily. Furniture looked as though it was purchased at a warehouse in the 70's. There is space here-the bedroom is separate-but for what you get the price should be much, much lower. I think the owners must feel location is worth the extra $175 or so that it is overpriced. Our problem was with the A/C, and lack thereof. If we had been on a higher floor, and had it not been the 4th, I might have considered opening the windows to let in the cool breezes. However, I was concerned noise from revelers below would keep us awake. There were no screens in two of the three windows, and one would not stay open in its own. I used the Holy Bible to prop the one in the bedroom open the next morning, when the thermostat read 80 degrees. The A/C had been tripped off when we arrived in the early evening....so I found the circuit breaker and reset it. I thought when we came in from watching the fireworks from the 3rd floor balcony (the ONLY positive from my experience) around 10:30pm it would take a bit to cool down, but it never did. When I explained the problem the following morning to the manager, he offered me a $50 credit. My response was, "$50 on a $299 room, how about $75?" He agreed. I should have asked for the room at half price! Treat yourself to a nice B&B and forget about the hotel experience in this charming location!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bay Club is an all-suite hotel located on the Harborfront in downtown Newport, RI. Beautiful one and two bedroom suites and multi level townhouses with kitchens, living and dining areas. Sweeping views from our private outside decks. Located at the intersection of America's Cup Avenue and Thames Street, this prime address allows you to leave your vehicle in our private lot (parking is included for ONE vehicle only) and walk to all of downtown Newport's offerings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Newport Bay Club & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Newport Bay Club And Hotel
- Newport Bay Club Hotel Newport
- Newport Bay Hotel
- Bay Club Newport