“A sad experience”

Ranked #15 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Connecticut
“A sad experience”
Reviewed 13 December 2007

We had high expectations and it was a disappointing stay.
The room was very small with one chair and bad lighting. The bathroom was chilly. The TV was tiny. There was barely room for our suitcases. It was not a comfortable room.

Breakfast was toast and juice, as the staff ran out of other breakfast items. (Breakfast is a big reason why we stay at B&Bs.)

There just wasn't the kind of comfort you'd expect from a room costing @ $200 a night. Despite the B&B being in a cenral location for Newport, we certainly wouldn't go there again.

• Liked — central location
  • Disliked — no breakfast, uncomfortable room
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank cody07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Stuart
Reviewed 22 November 2007

It was wonderful. the Artful lodger experience leaves the impression of visiting newport in the twenties. Along the path of the rich and famous in your beautiful Victorian home, we felt we were truely part of the past glory of NEWPORT. Thanks for the great accomodations and the friendly atmosphere. truely an enjoyable experience!l

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
Hawaii
Reviewed 11 November 2007

Taking in the view and listening to beautiful music after completing a delicious breakfast just set my world straight. I was so entranced that I was not in a hurry to sightsee Newport's attractions. One of which was right across the street - The Elms mansion.

Ric's great breakfast conversations, Rose's new CD preview along with tasteful background music choices(I am an avid music lover!) and Cida's attention to detail and comfort made my temporary newport home a lovely place to be. And I had the economy room the first few nights
which was very small as stated on the internet. I did change to another room when it became available and Ric gave me a great rate.

I would recommend taking any room you can on the weekend and you may be able to upgrade to a suite if you are staying beyond the weekend. The owners seem to want to make you as comfortable and happy as they can, which is the nice thing about owner-operated establishments.

• Liked — View From Breakfast Area
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled solo
Worcester
Reviewed 12 October 2007

I was on the phone with the owner, Rick, and after giving him all my credit card information and booking the room, I heard arguing in the background. He put me on hold and five minutes later came back on the
line to tell me that he had made a mistake and the room was in fact $289 instead of the $229 he quoted me. Without even asking me if I still wanted the room, he said he was cancelling the reservation and hung up the phone. I am shocked that the owner of an inn would do this. My suggestion to anyone planning on spending a night in Newport: don't stay at the Artful Lodger.

Stayed October 2007
5 Thank Katmitch28
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 9 February 2007

In my 18 year military career, I've lived and visted many countries around the world, thus my resultant stay in hundreds of hotels and Inns. None of them has made more of an impact than the Artful Lodger. I've never met Inn Keepers as kind and courteous as Rick and Rose Ranucci. Since my first stay in Newport, RI, I've booked the Artful Lodger for weekend getaways four subsequent times the past four years and every time is just like the first time. They welcomed us as if we were part of their immediate family and treated us throughout our stay exactly in that manner. The house is exquisite in every sense of the word; a magical place were lovers and life partners come to share the best Newport has to offer. This Inn is equipped with modern amenities to satifisy even the most critiquing palate; and yet still retains the ability to depict it's passionate 1850 legacy enough to evoke the epoch presence of the renaissance era long forgotten.

Stayed June 2006
2 Thank johnpinksaw
New York, NY
Reviewed 1 January 2007

First, I would like to state that the location was perfect, the bed was comfortable and the inn-keeper was very hospitable. However, the breakfast was very disappointing and left us hungry. For breakfast we were really not given much of a choice and the overall quality of the food was not good either our egg/cheese sandwich was very hard and tasteless. Again, the property and location were great but I would suggest skipping the breakfast and heading over to Dunkin Donuts.

• Liked — Location, Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Breakfast, no additional snacks/choices
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelingMSW
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 June 2006

We stayed three days at the ArtFul Lodger. While the rooms were excellent the breakfasts
were outstanding. But above all we really enjoyed the homey feeling that Ric and Rose;
the owners gave us. I especially enjoyed feeling like family. The view from the breakfast
room was also stunning.