“Photographic food”
Review of Tallulah on Thames - CLOSED

Tallulah on Thames
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: This is a new restaurant. Farm to Table movement. Chef owned.
Newport, Rhode Island
“Photographic food”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The best way to enjoy this trendy place is to bring a camera. Certainly, there is more for the lens than the stomach as you ease through the courses. Tasting menus are not meant to be huge but similar type restaurants offer more. My camera was full but I had to pick up a snack after dropping a bundle. The food is delicious but not much of it...and served with a soliloquy for each course from servers who think they're working at Taillevent in Paris. This is a financially successful restaurant getting bit too high on its success.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank GeorgesPitard

Boston, Massachusetts
“One of Newport's finest”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The food was unbelievably good and very artistically presented. Colorful and edible flowers provided whimsy and artistry to appetizers and main dishes. Perfect for casual dining. I only gave perfect stars to Tallulah and Spiced Pear of the many restaurants we sampled during Restaurant week. Spiced Pear however is for more elegant and fine dining. Would definitely go back to as soon as I can.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Marlenejazz
“Surprised at the Service”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I used to be Tallulah on Thames biggest advertisement so it's to my dismay that I'm sitting here writing this review.

The food and creativity still seems to be as I remembered it, however, the service has changed tremendously in this past season. The staff seems to be high on themselves and even arrogant at times - maybe this is a sign of their past success - I'm really not sure.

Based on our experience with making reservations and service, I'm not certain I will frequent Tallulah for the price before I have the opportunity to try out many of the newer restaurants that have recently opened in Newport.

• Visited June 2014
7 Thank Lori A
New York
“In An Elite Category”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Few dining experiences really resonate with me these days. I live in Manahattan and after eating at many of the top restaurants, I usually don't get too optimistic about getting a truly memorable meal when I travel. My wife heard through friends that Tallulah on Thames was a great restaurant. I remember being exhausted and thinking about how I would have loved to have grabbed a lobster roll after our sail. I couldn't have regretted my thoughts any more.

The restaurant setting is pretty casual and all of the tables were full, but there was not a noisy waiting area either which was nice. The menu is based on the prix fixe and changes frequently. There is definitely something on there for everyone along with some farm to table ingredients that really piqued my interest. While viewing the menu, we had the pleasure of amazing bread with local salted butter. Delicious!

Our meal came with an Amouse-Bouche of a watermelon and cucumber gazpacho; a very refreshing summer treat.

Next, my wife and I both got the watermelon/feta salad. This had such interesting flavors and included some fresh pepper. The contrast of sweet, spice, and tang made it very memorable.

We each ordered the crab dish, which had ingredients that I did not normally see together. It had crab, a corn purée, and cherries. This was unbelievable. We also received our palette cleanser; a passion fruit sorbet. A palette cleanser is always a nice plus, but forgettable as time goes by. Not this one!

For the main dishes, we got the beef and scallops. These were among the best preparations that we have ever had.

Lastly, we received fruit plates and homemade sorbet as our dessert (not a dessert choice, but I am unfortunately a little lactose intolerant). I noticed a fruit similar to honeydew on my plate. When I asked about it I leaned that it was indeed honeydew injected with honeydew juice! Loved the creativity!

What makes Tallulah on Thames one of my best meals ever is that every course was phenomenal. I can only count on one hand how many meals I have had where every single course was an A+. This will always be a must-go when we are in Newport.

Visited July 2014
Southampton, Pennsylvania
“An experience to savor”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We anticipated a fine dining experience as my husband found an article in Hilton Honors Destinations newsletter on this dining establishment and the chef. IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT!! You must make a reservation as even on a Wednesday evening they were turning walk ins away. We chose the 4 course pix fixe, which still gave you choices and there were 2 extras thrown in plus a rosemary focaccia that you don't want to miss. We ordered a pino noir by the glass....very nice I might add. Each course was presented well, the servers were a delight....hats off to Lindsey & Brett. If you wish to treat your taste buds.....don't miss the chance to dine at Tullalahs.

• Visited July 2014